Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq? Toplef10if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq? I22gcj10if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq? Toplef10if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq? I22gcj10if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq?

+2
Furbalsmom
Lollypop9
6 posters

Go down

if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq? Empty if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq?

Post  Lollypop9 4/13/2011, 5:08 pm

each time I harvest a square I am told to add compost and then I can plant something else in the square. we are renting and may move soon so I cannot/am not making my own compost this year. What can I buy that is the best to add to my soil THIS year as I replant? (obviously the all around homeade is the best long term for sure!)

at the nursery today I found a local type compost made from veggie scraps called "Harvest plenty fruit and veggies compst" it also says it's natural and organic. (harvestplenty.com) -- could I work this into the soil or will I need to mix different kinds?!

there's also worm castings?!! (rott 'n apple worm farm-organic)-

WDYT? thanks!
Lollypop9

Back to top Go down

if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq? Empty Re: if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq?

Post  Furbalsmom 4/13/2011, 5:37 pm

Lollypop, do you have any blended compost left over from making your Mel's Mix? A 5 blend certainly is going to be better than 1 because of all the various nutrients in it.

I did read the info from Harvestblend.com and it states the compost is made from a blend of at least 25 different veggies and fruit.

If you are unable to purchae five types of compost this year, Harvestblend sounds pretty good to me, especially if mixed with worm castings. Once you mix them together, keep it in a closed bin (trash can, a couple of 5 gallon buckets with lids) or put the mix back into the bags. That way it will be easy to move if you do.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq? Empty Compost

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/13/2011, 5:53 pm

This is my fall-back mix to use when a crop has been harvested and the area is being replanted: equal parts of blood meal, bone meal and kelp meal, well mixed up. Eyeball the amount you end up with and add that much of mixed compost, i.e., a bucket of combined bone/kelp/blood meals mixed into a bucket of mixed compost. Stir a trowel-full of the mixture into the area to be replanted, and you're good to plant.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq? Empty Re: if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq?

Post  sfg4uKim 4/13/2011, 6:38 pm

Too bad it's only available in OR, UT, AZ & CO.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lollypop9 4/13/2011, 8:09 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:Lollypop, do you have any blended compost left over from making your Mel's Mix? A 5 blend certainly is going to be better than 1 because of all the various nutrients in it.

I did read the info from Harvestblend.com and it states the compost is made from a blend of at least 25 different veggies and fruit.

If you are unable to purchae five types of compost this year, Harvestblend sounds pretty good to me, especially if mixed with worm castings. Once you mix them together, keep it in a closed bin (trash can, a couple of 5 gallon buckets with lids) or put the mix back into the bags. That way it will be easy to move if you do.

bascially I found a $40 gift card to this nursery for $17 on city deals and so I can also see if they have a 3rd something I could throw in the add some more nutrients-- my questions is this. I WILL have a lot extra/leftover. CAN I just throw it in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and will it stay good until even next season or does that make it so no air is getting to it and turn it into the bag kind of compost? I could also only mix enough worm castings with the veggie compost as I need for one square at a time and leave the castings in the little bucket they are coming in.

I don't have extra compost from making Mel's mix because my mom purchased it already made how Melllikes it (5 diff composts and all)--I DO have extra mel's mix--I don't want to mix that in right? JUST compost? THANKS for all the help everyone!!!
Lollypop9

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/13/2011, 8:30 pm

You won't need to add Mel's Mix when you replant, just the compost. Save any premixed Mel's Mix for when you add a new bed (and I'll bet you will next year)

The compost will store until next year with no problem.

You could even leave it in the bag if you like, just make sure you clip or otherwise close the top and store it in an area that stays dry, like qarage or car port. Wet compost is heavy.

If you put the extra compost in a container, it should be fine, as this product said it was fully composted. You don't have to worry that it will try to continue to compost without air and get anaerobic and nasty. You are just trying to store the completed compost. This is not about trying to compost raw ingredients in a closed container. Yuck!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Lollypop9 4/13/2011, 10:57 pm

THANK YOU!! man that makes sense with completed compost--I didn't know it completed that's cool that nature made it that way!! do you have a recommendation for adding a 3rd something to the worm castings and veggie/fruit compost?! also I know I only need a trowel of it so would I do half worm castings walf veggie compost or less worm castings? I think I'll just mix it when the time comes to add to a square.
Lollypop9

Back to top Go down

Post  Lollypop9 4/13/2011, 11:00 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:This is my fall-back mix to use when a crop has been harvested and the area is being replanted: equal parts of blood meal, bone meal and kelp meal, well mixed up. Eyeball the amount you end up with and add that much of mixed compost, i.e., a bucket of combined bone/kelp/blood meals mixed into a bucket of mixed compost. Stir a trowel-full of the mixture into the area to be replanted, and you're good to plant.

FFR are you saying that you have equals part of the bone/kelp/blood meal and then add an equal part to all that of MIXED composts and is 5 atleast?! why do you also add the first 3? does everyone else around here use those?! are they organic natural?
Lollypop9

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 4/13/2011, 11:14 pm

bone/kelp/blood meals: Don't know about her blend....but do know they are organic and natural.

Not everyone does this... Smile I have added blood and bone meal when I was inpatient and wanted to give my plants a boost... but they likely would have been just fine without it.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/13/2011, 11:23 pm

middlemamma wrote:Not everyone does this... Smile I have added blood and bone meal when I was inpatient and wanted to give my plants a boost... but they likely would have been just fine without it.

Another thing I would like to add to this is the simplest form of compost tea. When you acquire or settle on a compost, I would also water with a tea mixture if wanting to give my plants a little boost.

Grab a chunk or two of your blended compost. Put it in a 5 gallon bucket. Add water. Let it sit awhile (a friend lets it sit a couple days, but I'm talking about a couple of hours to a day). Strain the big chunks out. Pour the now dirty water in your garden around your plants. The leftover chunks can go in the garden or back in a small pile to be used again. Obviously, I wouldn't put them back in the bag wet.

That may have more portability to you while giving your garden an instant boost. I would consider this if I were moving soon. As it is, I plan to water this way every couple of weeks if I notice my veggies looking a little weak this season.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Lollypop9 4/13/2011, 11:50 pm

thanks!!! so when people talk about "tea" for their gardens are they referring to straining out the water from soaked compost?! THANKS
Lollypop9

Back to top Go down

if I don't have homeade compost this year--what to use before replanting a sq? Empty compost

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/14/2011, 10:48 am

Lolly, guess I didn't explain adequately about my fall-back mix, the bone/blood/kelp meal comprises one half of the total mix; mixed composts comprise the rest of the mix. Here in this small town, I'm having trouble finding five different composts, hence the fall back. I agree with the majority of the forum, composts are best. No scientific backing for this, but I'd bet the composts give up their nutrients faster than the bone/blood/kelp (BBK) part of the mix....an advantage...but the BBK probably gives as it breaks down, hence longer. Anyone out there know for sure?
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down