Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Got slugs? Toplef10Got slugs? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Got slugs? I22gcj10Got slugs? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Got slugs? Toplef10Got slugs? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Got slugs? I22gcj10Got slugs? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Got slugs?

+8
nancy
Nonna.PapaVino
FarmerValerie
Goosegirl
Barkie
boffer
middlemamma
sherryeo
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Got slugs? Empty Got slugs?

Post  sherryeo 4/11/2011, 10:08 pm

I found a tip that I thought I'd pass along for what it may be worth. I wish I could take credit for thinking of it, but it was in Mother Earth News magazine.

This is a method to put up a barricade of sorts against slugs. I would think it would probably work for snails, too. It does require raised beds (lucky for sfgs, eh?). Purchase silicon carbide, used to sand drywall spackle (your home center, hardware store, etc should have it). It comes in boxes of 50 sheets - 4 1/4 inches wide by 11 1/4 inches long - in 80 grit. Be sure it's the waterproof kind - not all kinds are. Cut sheets in half lengthwise, then staple them (using staple gun and stainless steel staples) end-to-end to the uppermost sides of your raised beds. Be sure to staple them tightly against the raised bed frames. Don't leave any gaps for slugs to crawl under. The silicon carbide sheets should only have to be replaced about every 4 years. The slugs reportedly don't like the "scratchiness."

It makes sense to me and I plan to try it as soon as my other half has a bit more time to recover from the cost of the boxes/Mel's Mix/plants. I think there would still be a problem when you have plants that have grown enough to trail low over the sides - guess the slugs could climb up the plants. But at least while the plants are smaller or if you have a bed where you don't have plants that will trail over the sides - sounds to me like it could work!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Got slugs? Empty Re: Got slugs?

Post  middlemamma 4/12/2011, 12:23 am

I read this in that magazine too this month and I am totally going to try it...
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/12/2011, 12:33 am

What you're suggesting would only make the slugs in the PNW smile because it tickled their bellys!

They crawl across -5/8 crushed rock and lines of broken glass. Coarse sandpaper? Save your jingle.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 4/12/2011, 12:44 am

yeah you have those big ugly ones....blech. (shudder shiver)

Hmmm...wonder if it would work on the teeny tiny ones I get? I didn't get much damage last year....
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 4/12/2011, 5:02 am

The first year here I was over-run with slugs but I have got it down to manageable level by attacking from all sides.

The slug pub. A container sunk in the ground with a few inches above the soil level. I glug in a few inches of the yeasty dregs from my wine-making but you can use beer or mix up a pinch of yeast, sugar and water. Slugs go in the pub, drink themselves into a stupor and drown.

Slug hotel. A plank of wood, slugs go under to hide from the sun, you turn the plank over next morning and collect up the little blighters. Check underneath pots and containers too coz they hide there as well. You can attract more if you provide B&B for them by adding bran or a saucer of canned pet meat under the plank.

Seek and destroy. I go out with a torch late on a damp night before the breeding season starts which is a pain but it saves hunting down the hundreds of offspring later.

Cover story. Bottle Cloches for seedlings, some slugs live on dead plant matter and live above ground but some live underground and prefer tender juicy seedlings, do you call plastic drinks bottles soda bottles? The top half of one of those bottles, minus the cap, goes over the seedlings and is buried partly in the soil as a barrier. The bottom half of the bottle makes a slug pub.

Move em out. Collect up your leaves for composting. Make compost as far away as
possible from your veg beds and move what they will hide under like
piles of stones.
Fill in crevices and check the inner edges of beds where they hang out during the day.

I also encourage blackbirds and thrushes to come and dine on whatever they find.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/12/2011, 8:11 am

Barkie wrote:

Seek and destroy. I go out with a torch late on a damp night before the breeding season starts which is a pain but it saves hunting down the hundreds of offspring later.

Got slugs? 889526 Got slugs? 889526 Got slugs? 889526 Got slugs? 889526 Got slugs? 889526
It took me a few seconds to realize that the torch you are referring to is what I call a flashlight! I was picturing going out in the dark with a butane burning torch in one hand, flashlight in the other, and that the 'damp night' was so that anything that got in the way (like mulch) would be damp and less likely to burn quickly! Got slugs? 656620 All this going through my pea-brain in the few seconds it took to realize what was REALLY being talked about! Can you tell I am only on my second cup of coffee?!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/12/2011, 8:16 am

Hey, that American version of the torch works, I used that on some seriously infected squash plants last year, they were dying anyway, I fired it up and made a serious dent in my squash bug population.

I use the beer method, they love it.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/12/2011, 8:18 am

FarmerValerie wrote:Hey, that American version of the torch works, I used that on some seriously infected squash plants last year, they were dying anyway, I fired it up and made a serious dent in my squash bug population.

I like your style FarmerValerie!Got slugs? 410210
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 4/12/2011, 11:09 am

Goosegirl wrote:
Barkie wrote:

Got slugs? 889526 Got slugs? 889526 Got slugs? 889526 Got slugs? 889526 Got slugs? 889526
It took me a few seconds to realize that the torch you are referring to is what I call a flashlight! I was picturing going out in the dark with a butane burning torch in one hand, flashlight in the other, and that the 'damp night' was so that anything that got in the way (like mulch) would be damp and less likely to burn quickly! Got slugs? 656620 All this going through my pea-brain in the few seconds it took to realize what was REALLY being talked about! Can you tell I am only on my second cup of coffee?!

Got slugs? 656620 Same for me reading words you guys use when I haven't got through my second cup off coffee. Keep telling me the right words and I'll learn.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Got slugs? Empty slug pubs

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/12/2011, 11:36 am

One of my sons left some cans of beer here, and as we are wine drinkers, I decided to use the canned beer to try trapping slugs. Big Zero, nada, no slugs. Not THAT surprised.....I don't like Bud Light either. No
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 4/12/2011, 12:03 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:One of my sons left some cans of beer here, and as we are wine drinkers, I decided to use the canned beer to try trapping slugs. Big Zero, nada, no slugs. Not THAT surprised.....I don't like Bud Light either. No

Light beer or lager? Nah, try them with the dark bitter stuff.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/12/2011, 12:05 pm

Thanks, Barkie, I'll try again. Guess we should try brewing our own. I can see it now: Slugfest's Best.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/12/2011, 12:24 pm

The higher the malt content the better-think Schlitz Malt Liquer, the kind with the bull on front.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Got slugs? Empty It Really Works

Post  nancy 4/27/2011, 9:34 am

You should have seen me at the grocery store last night trying to pick a beer for the slugs. I could not find a malt liquer, so I settled for the cheapest single can I could find. I think it was Milkwaukee's Best Ice. 24 ounces for $1.19.

I raided the recycle bin and pulled out some cat food cans. I burried these near my affected plants and filled them to the top with said beer.

This morning I saw several dead slugs and snails. I feel badly because my leopard snail succumbed, but I bet he was one of the biggest culprits. Hopefully the hostas, jacks-in-the-pulpit, and trilliums can recover. There is even a bit left in the can for night 2 - which may be tonite depending on this massive storm front.

Thanks all! I'm so excited it worked!
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/27/2011, 9:48 am

I'll try the beer method this year. I've got the tuna cans cleaned and ready, now I have to find a malt beer and keep it handy.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/27/2011, 11:42 am

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:snip....I decided to use the canned beer to try trapping slugs. Big Zero, nada, no slugs. Not THAT surprised.....I don't like Bud Light either.

I don't know about malty, it must work for the poster BUT My slugs prefer the cheapest stuff I can get and the yeastier the better. It has to be fresh. I put it out at night and dump it in the AM. It has no effect after a few hours (at least not at my house)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 4/27/2011, 1:34 pm

Quiltbea - I agree with Deb. I don't think it needs to be malty. I bought the cheapest can on the shelf and it worked great for me!
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/27/2011, 1:59 pm

Thanks. Any time I can save money, I'm for it.
Yeasty and cheap sounds good to me.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 4/27/2011, 3:05 pm

Yeah, I don't know about malty but just yeasty works for sure and cheap cat meat works like a charm.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Got slugs? Empty slugs

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/27/2011, 3:28 pm

Barkie, does the catfood merely attract the slugs, or does it actually kill them somehow? Or do you add it to the beer?
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Got slugs? Empty Cheap Drunks

Post  Furbalsmom 4/27/2011, 6:06 pm

Last year my slugs were content with a cheap drunk beer party. I even used "skunked" beer that we found hidden in the storeage area of our fifth wheel for over a year (hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold - not good for beer)and the swimming pools (tuna cans and cottage cheese containers) were full of drunken slugs. We did dump and refill daily.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 4/28/2011, 2:42 am

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Barkie, does the catfood merely attract the slugs, or does it actually kill them somehow? Or do you add it to the beer?

Catfood just attracts them, as far as I know, so it saves on time going looking for them. If they are going for the bait they aren't going for your seedlings and pea shoots etc. It's a good solution if you merely want to catch them but you have be around to collect them up before they go off to hide again.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Got slugs? Empty slugs

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/28/2011, 10:51 am

Thanks for your explanation. So you just wait until it's dark and head out with your headlamp, bucket and tongs to pick up the slimies and drop them into the bucket. Are you one of the gardners who have soapy water in the bucket, or do you add some ammonia to the water to hasten their deaths? Twisted Evil
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 4/28/2011, 1:57 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Thanks for your explanation. So you just wait until it's dark and head out with your headlamp, bucket and tongs to pick up the slimies and drop them into the bucket. Are you one of the gardners who have soapy water in the bucket, or do you add some ammonia to the water to hasten their deaths? Twisted Evil

You're welcome Nonna. I do but only when it is damp on the ground and the slimies will be out of hiding. Funny you mentioning headlamps I keep meaning to splurge on buying one so I can be two hands free. I'm a barbecue tongs and drop them in the tallest jar of wine gardener. Twisted Evil If I didn't cull the adult population earlier in the year and had adult athletic climbing slimers I'd have to go for bucket of soapy water.

I hadn't thought about using ammonia, can you tip the sorry mess into the compost bin? I don't know if marinated slimies are ok to leave out for the birds or not and somehow we don't like the thought of composted slug No so I tip the night's haul down the outside drain.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Got slugs? Empty slugs

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/28/2011, 2:43 pm

Until I became a SFG'er, I'd dig a hole at the edge of the garden, and tip the ammonia-marinated slime (and it DOES become slime) into the hole, replace the large divot, smack it once with the shovel and return to the house. Now, the garden area surrounded by deer fencing is much smaller, so I have to carry the bucket out to the edge of the forest, where I can just pitch the mess in the blackberry brambles; we don't pick those blackberries anyway.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next