Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? Toplef10Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? I22gcj10Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? Toplef10Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? I22gcj10Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone here on the Front Range in CO?

+26
Hardcoir
Lillyz
saffron303
RoOsTeR
front range garden girl
etherati
AlwaysanokieAngi
1manstrash
Firegirl
davep763
ander217
Kabaju42
Furbalsmom
RachelEmbery
maizenbrew
Lilybit
jminco
Boulder Mama
hilltopgrower
ColoradoNatureGirl
aspiegardner
HappyMommy
lkmom2
ndespres
jaylene58
Wyldflower
30 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? Empty Anyone here on the Front Range in CO?

Post  Wyldflower 3/21/2010, 8:36 pm

I'm in Colorado Springs - Zone 5b - and would love to get to know others nearby who are SF Gardeners
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? Empty Re: Anyone here on the Front Range in CO?

Post  jaylene58 3/22/2010, 3:28 pm

I'm a long-time raised-bed gardener and am installing some square foot beds this spring. I live in northwest Denver, the Berkeley neighborhood. Hi.
jaylene58

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? Empty Re: Anyone here on the Front Range in CO?

Post  Wyldflower 3/22/2010, 5:12 pm

Smile nice to know I'm not the only one on the forums in CO.

As you've probably surmised, I'm brand new to this, and hope to learn a LOT from everyone here. It surely will help to have a 'neighbor' to compare notes with! I know the front range is made up of a wide variety of microclimates. Here near downtown Colorado Springs, I'm in zone 5b. I'm willing to take a few chances on some zone 6 plantings, but will mostly look for hardier plants that can take a bit of a chill and a shorter season. What zone are you in, up there in Denver?

Looking forward to getting to know you!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Post  jaylene58 3/23/2010, 1:07 pm

I guess this is zone 5. Rarely gets below -10, never below -20. My last frost date is usually the second week in May, though I can put out tomatoes before that in wall-o-waters. I set them in half-barrels against a south-facing masonry wall and they do great. First frost is mid to late October.

This is my first year sf gardening, so I am excited to see how things turn out. Until we re-landscape the area, I'll probably keep the tomatoes in the barrels, but everything else is going in the new sf beds. I just laid out 4 4x4's. One is filled. I am going to try at least one of the beds using soil from where my old raised beds were. We have 10 years of digging in chopped leaves every fall, as well as amending in the spring with our own compost. Aside from maybe a few more weed seeds than the Mel's mix, I think this dirt will work great. Black, fluffy, moist.

I raise mostly vegetables and herbs, not much of a flower gardener, though I have some iris and echinacea and roses around. I hardly ever plant annual flowers. What do you grow?
jaylene58

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  ndespres 3/27/2010, 12:37 pm

Hi Wyldflower,
I am also in Colorado Springs. You are so right about the micro climates here. I started sfg last year. Started late but it did well. I am in the south east side of town.
ndespres

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 3/27/2010, 3:29 pm

HI ndespres! How are you doing with getting started for this year? I'm curious to know how far 'behind' I am. I've got cold crop seedlings started indoors, and will harden them off over the next few days to a week (until I get my boxes built).

I've also got some tomatoes (san Marzano and Beefsteak heirloom) and peppers (sweet and jalapeno) starting inside.... I just today saw the sprouts coming up on the tomatoes! WooHoo!

I'll probably also buy some already started plants at one or another of the garden centers. I was at Good Earth today, and they have all sorts of tomatoes, but they won't be ready for sale for about three weeks. I'm looking at "Stupice" and "Sugary" as early tomatoes, and "Brandywine" for a later tomato.

Do you have any favorites, or recommendations for this area? (I'm between Circle and Union, off Cache)
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Post  ndespres 3/28/2010, 10:47 am

Your not behind. The average last frost date is May 15, so putting in tomatoes earlier than that is not practical. I have always wanted to start my own plants but my lighting in the house is not good enough for that, so I buy my transplants. I don't get the varity of plants that I would like but I haven't figure out an alternative yet.

I am planning on planting spinach and lettuce and maybe snap peas today. I may have to cover them if we get anymore snow. I have been staring at my grow boxes for the past two months waiting for today.

I haven't totally decided yet for this year, but I do want to try growing some winter squash verticle. New things for me this year will be brocolli, and cauliflower.

This is the third time I have tried gardening in Colorado Springs. We have been in apartments up until now. I am really excited about this year.

I am by Acadmey and Hancock. Our climates should be just about the same. I don't think our elevation is much different.
ndespres

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? Empty in COL spgs

Post  lkmom2 4/4/2010, 5:26 pm

I am in the Village 7 area, and this is my first year to do SFG, and we are VERY excited!
lkmom2

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 4/4/2010, 10:08 pm

Hi, lkmom!

Good to have neighbors here! I'm closer to downtown than you, but we'll be dealing with most of the same conditions. I only started gardening last year, and this is my first SFG.

My grandson and I got my beds built and filled today, and I'm hardening off some starts of cool weather crops. I really REALLY can't wait for mid-may when we can put out summer veggies. (Looking forward to tomatoes that taste like tomatoes.)

How much of a garden are you planning? What do you plan to grow? It'll be fun to compare notes with another SFG newbie in my area. Have you found your vermiculite? If not, Rick's Garden Center on Uintah has it.

Welcome, and happy gardening!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Post  lkmom2 4/5/2010, 5:31 pm

We got our beds made last year, and this year we get dirt! Yes, I got my compost and peat moss at Lowe's and trying to get down to Rick's to get the verm. and some seeds. Working on the grids now. We have two 4x4 boxes and one 3x8. My problem is trying to decide what NOT to grow! =) The kids also each have a square of their own to do whatever they want in, so they're very excited as well. I am very grateful to be connecting with someone in the area, thank you!
lkmom2

Back to top Go down

Post  HappyMommy 4/26/2010, 3:10 pm

Hi there. We are in Fountain... Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? Icon_biggrin
HappyMommy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 4/26/2010, 3:48 pm

WooHoo!!! The Front Range crew is growing like we(hah bet you thought I was gonna say weeds)'re planted in Mel's Mix!

Nice to see neighbors in CS and Fountain, as well as up in Littleton and the Denver area!

If anyone wants to get together one of these days, just let me know!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? Empty Sterling CO here

Post  aspiegardner 4/29/2010, 7:11 am

This is our second year at sfg out in the plains of eastern CO almost to the NE border.
aspiegardner

Back to top Go down

Post  ColoradoNatureGirl 5/4/2010, 7:24 pm

I am in Littleton and this is my first year gardening! Great to know there are some others here in the area.
ColoradoNatureGirl
ColoradoNatureGirl

Female Posts : 58

Back to top Go down

Post  hilltopgrower 5/5/2010, 11:53 pm

Add one more to the Springs area, I'm here around Powers and S. Carefree. Got a very late start last year but am thrilled to be learning this method
hilltopgrower

Back to top Go down

Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? Empty From Boulder, CO

Post  Boulder Mama 5/17/2010, 5:05 pm

Hi! I just signed up for the forum after receiving my Square Foot Gardening book in the mail. I already have 4 4x8' beds planted. Two are filled with soil/compost mix I purchased from the landscape center and since I just found out about it, I'm going to make Mel's mix for the other two that I haven't filled yet.

Does anyone know where I can get vermiculite near Boulder, CO?

I look forward to "meeting" all of you!
Sarah
Boulder Mama

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 5/17/2010, 5:41 pm

Hi Sarah, and welcome!

I live in Colorado Springs, so I don't know for sure what's up near you. You can check the Vermiculite Data Base (under "General SFG Talk) for sources. I think there's something in Littleton.

Good luck to another Coloradan SFGer!
~Wyldflower
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Post  ColoradoNatureGirl 5/17/2010, 6:01 pm

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to SFG and the forum!

I live in Littleton so I don't know of a specific place to find vermiculite but when I was looking for it a few weeks ago I just Googled my local garden centers, not the big box stores, then called to see if they carried it and did some price comparisons. Every place I called carried it so it was just finding the best price. The best price I found around here was 24.99 for the big 4 cu ft bag. I hope that helps get you started a bit. Good luck and happy gardening. It was great to "meet you! Very Happy
ColoradoNatureGirl
ColoradoNatureGirl

Female Posts : 58

Back to top Go down

Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? Empty Newbie in Castle Rock

Post  jminco 5/18/2010, 3:01 pm

Hi all,

I maybe premature in posting but I was very excited to see a group in my 'hood! I am an extreme newbie, just discovered sfg today online. I will be moving into my new home next week (fingers crossed) and I plan to start a sfg for my family (1 4x4 plus 2 3x3 kid's gardens). There's even a perfect spot that used to be a swing set area!

I know it will be a late start so I would love any feedback about what to start in June.

I'm a very inexperienced gardener and hope this method will help with my success! Please feel free to share your wisdom!

Thanks
jminco

Back to top Go down

Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? Empty Welcome, jminco!

Post  Wyldflower 5/18/2010, 3:24 pm

hi, JM

Good to see you here! I'm a gardening/SFG newbie too... but I've learned a LOT from the people on the forums. You and the family are going to LOVE how easy this is going to be! I don't think it'll be too late to plant some summer crops in June. You might look at some of the smaller pumpkins, too, if the kids like that kind of thing. I don't know if you'll have enough time for a larger variety. I'm sure there are others who will come up with some other suggestions for you, too!

Happy gardening!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Anyone here on the Front Range in CO? Empty Another COS Newbie!

Post  Lilybit 6/8/2010, 2:13 pm

I'm a newbie too, from Colorado Springs (Southeast side of town). I had a small garden last year (tomatoes/basil/zucchini/mini pumpkins).. but have 4, 4x6 SFG boxes this year. I'm so excited to be gardening SFG style this year.. I anxiously watch my garden grow everyday!

I planted my tomatoes (Roma) a little early (May 15th) (oops) and they were a bit shocked (stems turned dark purple), but they seem to be pulling out of it now and turning back to green.. hopefully they'll start new growth soon.

It's great to 'meet' you all!! Very Happy

Liz
Lilybit
Lilybit

Female Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 6/8/2010, 2:42 pm

Hi Lilybit and Welcome!

Looks like you have more experience with SFG than I have, but I'm learning fast.... and we can ALL learn from one another.

I'm also in the Springs - between Union and Circle, near Cache la Poudre. I'm just LOVING the whole SFG process - and I've got my first actual tomato growing on one of my 12 tomato plants! (This one is a Stupice.) I've been eating lettuce and spinach from my garden, and am looking forward to LOTS of fresh veggies this summer!

What do you have planted in addition to your tomatoes? (I was impatient too, and put mine in on May 16.)
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilybit 6/8/2010, 3:21 pm

Haha.. glad to hear I wasn't the only impatient one! LOL I'm kind of west of the Chelton/Academy area. Should be the same conditions basically as you. Our elevation is about 6500 at the house.

I've planted -
(In my boxes)

Strawberries ( I planted 50 bare root plants, 20 are doing great, 30 died.. not sure why, but I am getting a replacement shipment of 50 in the spring)

Tomatoes - Roma (6), these are the purplish ones and not growing much yet and Early girl (1), lots of blooms.. hopefully fruit soon!
Basil (2)
Peppers - Hot mix (6) - Pretty small.. but growing
Cilantro (2)
Dill (1) - in a pot near the boxes
Carrotts (128?.. 16 per square, 8 squares)
Lettuce - Romaine (6 squares worth)
Pumpkins - Casper (7) Sugar (9) - Something is munching one plant
Pole Beans (32) - Same box as the pumpkins, 2 plants are showing serious munching on the leaves, only a minor small munch here and there on the others. Not sure what's going on, I don't see any bugs except for ants.
Zucchini (8.. but really 16).. I put 2 seeds in each hole like the packet said.. all of them came up! Yikes.. we'll see how that goes!
Cucumbers (16+-).. I started some indoors ahead of time, planted them (probably a bit early) and about half shriveled up and died. I direct planted more and they are all coming up well. They have the 2 seed leaves and are getting the 3rd now. I'm really hopeful that they grow well.

(Not in the boxes)
I had an extra space (about 6x15) in the yard (no raised bed) that I tilled up and put a nice layer of compost on top and tilled again. Then planted a variety of pumpkins and ornamental gourds. I didn't really expect them to do well.. but they are going crazy! Good thing I love decorating for fall!

Another area I planted into the soil directly (with a compost top layer) is about 8 x 20. I planted 5, 20 ft rows of corn. However, it doesn't get full sun all day, only about 6+ hours, so I am not expecting much. This was more of an experiment if anything. I planted about 2 weeks ago and maybe a dozen have popped up, we'll see. If all else fails, I'll have some small corn stalks for fall decorating!

From your previous posts, I see you're growing lots of tomato varieties. Are you planning on doing a lot of canning? What else are you growing?

Liz
Lilybit
Lilybit

Female Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  maizenbrew 7/27/2010, 5:12 pm

I'm in Parker. Glad to see others here too. I got started last year and after a bad hail storm last year ruined most of my garden, I started off a little hesitant this year. I added a hail protection roof to my garden this year, so I know it won't hail.

For those looking for vermiculite, I've found at numerous place around Denver.

Nick's Garden Center (Aurora)
Tagawa Garden Center (Parker)
Wilmore Nursery (Littleton)
I know there's a distribution place in downtown Denver, but the name is escaping me right now
maizenbrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 7/27/2010, 5:25 pm

Hi and welcome, Maizenbrew! I'm down in the Springs.

It's great to have resources for Vermiculite. If you have a few minutes, you may want to post your info to the VERMICULITE DATABASE ... click HERE and click on the US FORM button to enter data. You can check to see if your sources are already listed by clicking the US DB button.

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad hailstorm last year... but putting the cover over your garden is certainly a good way to prevent hailstorms this year! How big is your SFG? I have a 3x6, a 4x7 and potatoes in a 4x4. I'm planning additional boxes for the fall, too.

I've had lettuce, spinach, peas and onions from my garden so far, and I'm waiting on my tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, eggplant, beans and squash (Squash is in big pots on the other side of the yard from my SFG boxes, and I'm letting them trail on the ground.) I didn't have much luck with Cole crops, but I'll be trying again for the fall with chinese cabbage, bok choi, cabbage, kohl rabi, and brussels sprouts. I'll also be trying parsnips, turnips, rutabagas and more potatoes for the fall. What are you growing?

Happy Gardening!

Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next