Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbiest me from wine country Toplef10Newbiest me from wine country 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbiest me from wine country I22gcj10Newbiest me from wine country 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbiest me from wine country Toplef10Newbiest me from wine country 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbiest me from wine country I22gcj10Newbiest me from wine country 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbiest me from wine country

+2
Furbalsmom
jtuck2
6 posters

Go down

Newbiest me from wine country Empty Newbiest me from wine country

Post  jtuck2 4/7/2011, 3:37 am

I just popped in from Temecula, CA, an hour northeast of San Diego. We get REALLY hot here in the summer, and I'm starting my very first garden venture. We're out in wine country, so we have animals of ALL kinds here, including gophers, squirrels, rabbits, mice, rats, deer, coyotes and lots and lots of birds (hawks, owls, roadrunners, quail, in addition to the smaller ones).

Research told me we might as well build a house over our new garden in addition to lining the whole underneath with hardware cloth. It has cost a small fortune to build this structure and the box, but we're very proud of it and I can't wait to start digging. Within a week I should have it all ready to go!

I'm so glad I decided to buy the Square Foot book yesterday so I could decide to start my first garden this way. Mel won out!

Will enjoy chatting with you out there! For now...... Newbiest me from wine country 66559

Cheers!
Newbiest

Last edited by jtuck2 on 4/7/2011, 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
jtuck2

Back to top Go down

Newbiest me from wine country Empty Re: Newbiest me from wine country

Post  Furbalsmom 4/7/2011, 3:59 am

Welcome again, JTuck

Once you have your SFG Bed built, and maybe a dome or wagon wheel support to hold up some shade cloth, you will be fine.

You mentioned SFG mix at Lowes in your other post, being in Temecula, sounds like you did get pre-mixed Mel's Mix. Wish we had pre-mixed here.

We are also glad you found the ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING book. No More Digging! No Weeds! These are the things I love most about SFG.

Well, thanks for joining us and Newbiest me from wine country 433311 have a glass for me.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  jtuck2 4/7/2011, 4:00 pm

Thank you Furbalsmom,

And I will toast you when I plant my first seedling! (yep, I surely don't like those weeds, either!)

jtuck
jtuck2

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/7/2011, 4:02 pm

Newbiest me from wine country 396615 Newbiest me from wine country 396615 Newbiest me from wine country 396615

Good to have ya!

This structure of your sounds quite interesting. What did you make the structure out of? When you can, please post some pictures of it. I'm really quite intrigued. Also, be sure to check out the Pest forum for some tips. Also, take a look around your regional forums. You'll probably find someone near you that can share war stories and battle techniques. If you have any questions please give us a holler. We are always happy to help.

Take care and happy gardening!
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Newbiest me from wine country Empty Welcome neighbor

Post  florenceq 4/7/2011, 4:41 pm

It is great to see another SFGer in SoCal. I am south of you on Santee and we get really hot weather as well. It will be nice to have someone to commiserate with when it 100+ outside.
florenceq
florenceq

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Newbiest me from wine country Empty Re: Newbiest me from wine country!

Post  jtuck2 8/24/2011, 1:56 pm

florenceq wrote:It is great to see another SFGer in SoCal. I am south of you on Santee and we get really hot weather as well. It will be nice to have someone to commiserate with when it 100+ outside.

dizzygardener and florenceq....so sorry it has taken me forever to respond!! Adding the garden to all my other chores has kept me busy for months!!

I will certainly post pictures when I can...I've taken millions of them (new gardener's pride) but my husband still needs to download them (another chore I never get to). I'm excited to show you! It's made out of a less expensive lumber than the raised bed (which is pine) plus green hardware cloth. The only thing really pretty about it is the design. I wanted something more elaborate made out of nicer material, but, well, the cost of lumber is really high, so we compromised. Once it has green stuff inside (and all over, I might add), it looks better. The guy who built our closets inside did it...and he like that project more than anything!

flornceq, I would love to visit each other's gardens one day if you're up to it! Husband, Mike, and I went away this summer for that week where it got into the 100s! Garden was pretty new at that point and we were amazed when we got back how much it had grown (we still are!). I had given a few things away before we left so there wasn't much left to harvest. When we got back, I had 6 or 7 foot-long (and fat) zucchinis! The soup I made was great and the neighbors were all happy!! Have only had 1 large zucchini since then!

Thanks for the shared interests you guys! And for the welcomes. I will try to be here a bit more often....right now I'm supposed to be working, not playing! ; )
jtuck2

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 8/25/2011, 7:10 pm

jtuck2, just stay in touch. We don't ask that anyone post every single day, but we are interested in how things are going.

Make sure you keep those zucchini harvested so you don't get any more baseball bats. The smaller ones are so good when just lightly sprtized with olive oil, a bit of salt and pepper and then grilled along with your burger, steak or chicken.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/26/2011, 2:50 am

When I saw wine country I was thinking Which one? As it turns out you are very close to me in Winchester - really Murrieta. I am in a new development and I do not put anything under my boxes and so far so good but if you are a little more rural I would think it would be a good idea. Couldn't hurt.

As people said when I moved here, "But it is so hot there". Yeah and it's the first house I ever had with central air. I am OK. And I LOVE the wine country. Gorgeous. I have a few pics on my blog but nothing you can't see by looking out the window.

Welcome and enjoy the gardening.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  evelien 8/26/2011, 5:22 am

Welcome from the Netherlands too... I am also new here and I just set up my very first SFG...
You may have a lot of animals out there, who like to nibble away at your vegetables, but on the other hand you have a great climate :-)

evelien
evelien

Back to top Go down

Post  jtuck2 9/3/2011, 6:56 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:jtuck2, make sure you keep those zucchini harvested so you don't get any more baseball bats. The smaller ones are so good when just lightly sprtized with olive oil, a bit of salt and pepper and then grilled along with your burger, steak or chicken.

That sounds great, too...but am I unusual in liking the baseball bats, too? I've heard the flowers are also yummie, stuffed with feta and sauteed...haven't tried that yet. cyclops
jtuck2

Back to top Go down

Post  jtuck2 9/3/2011, 7:03 pm

Chopper wrote:When I saw wine country I was thinking Which one? As it turns out you are very close to me in Winchester - really Murrieta. I am in a new development and I do not put anything under my boxes and so far so good but if you are a little more rural I would think it would be a good idea. Couldn't hurt.
Welcome and enjoy the gardening.

Hi Chopper, thanks for the welcome! Yes, we have oodles of gophers here and a property full of holes to show for it...but not in our garden!! Laughing

Some of the watermelon decided to grow through the hardware cloth sides of the garden structure and escape the inside....they didn't last a day....all the leaves are eaten off by who knows what? We are so glad we did what we did!

By the way, I belong to the Temecula Garden Club and one of the members gives free monthly gardening classes at her home. I have learned a LOT from her!!

If any of you locals ever want to come to a general meeting as a guest (also once a month on a Tuesday morning), let me know, we can meet at the meeting! It's an awesome group!

JT Newbiest me from wine country 61949
jtuck2

Back to top Go down

Post  jtuck2 9/3/2011, 7:05 pm

evelien wrote:Welcome from the Netherlands too... I am also new here and I just set up my very first SFG...
You may have a lot of animals out there, who like to nibble away at your vegetables, but on the other hand you have a great climate :-)

Hi evelien, Welcome to a fellow newbie! Yes we are very blessed to have weather where we can garden so many months out of the year! How is your garden doing?
jtuck2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum