Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG Toplef10Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG I22gcj10Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG Toplef10Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG I22gcj10Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG

5 posters

Go down

Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG Empty Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG

Post  Shoda 4/3/2011, 12:57 pm

Hello fellow SFGers!

The weather here is warm and beautiful. It has me itching to get into the garden. Yesterday I fussed with my bed of strawberries which I recently moved from the dirt to a 4x8 SFG bed. They are looking a little sad at the move and I guess I should have moved them earlier but I am not worried. I am sure they will be much happier then they were in the dirt last year where they survived ant, spittle bug and slug attacks AND an invasion of voles that took all my beautiful berries.

This year I am going to be more proactive. I have them in a raised bed with wire under to prevent voles. I am putting down some organic snail stuff to keep those critters away and I am setting up the ant traps BEFORE 2 million ants move in. As for the spittle bugs, I will just keep an eye on it.

I look forward to a wonderful spring and hope you all have great success with your SFG.
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG Empty Re: Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG

Post  middlemamma 4/3/2011, 3:43 pm

Glad to have you back Shoda!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG Empty Re: Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG

Post  Furbalsmom 4/3/2011, 6:32 pm

Welcome Back Shoda. Glad to "see" you again.

Sounds like you have come up with a plan for your strawberry beds. Here's to GREAT strawberries this year!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 4/3/2011, 7:16 pm

I am hoping to get a few strawberries but I also remembered that you aren't supposed to eat any the first year. Since mine were transplanted from a nearby bed, do you think it is OK to let them go to fruit? They haven't really taken deep root yet (I accidentally uprooted one while clipping off dead leaves) but they are COVERED in flowers and fruit.

Since I am not wanting them to send out shoots anyway, what do you all think? Pull off the flowers and fruit so they will root deep or take my chances on letting them go to fruit? Or half & half?

What would you do?
Spring is in the air! Strawberries in the SFG IMG_20110403_104706

OK, the color is off on this picture but you can see the plants are pretty small.
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 4/3/2011, 7:52 pm

Shoda, you've got some lovely looking strawberry plants there!

I don't believe the problem is eating the berries. What we are told is to not let them flower/pinch off the flowers, so they won't bear fruit, so all their energy will go into the plant growing and strengthening. (sorry, I just re-read your post, and you understand that part.)

I have never been strong enough to do this, which is probably why my yields are low, which is why I buy more plants each year, which is why....... lol!

But maybe this year I will plant a bunch of new plants and only let a few fruit. How much delayed gratification can one person handle, after all???
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 4/3/2011, 11:27 pm

OK, you have me curious now. So I did some searching and found the following website:

Strawberry Fact Sheet

Since some of the plants are day neutral variety and some are June bearing (and I don't know which are which), I think I will go and remove flowers and fruit for a few months so the plants can get larger. However, sounds like that will also put the plants into "runner" mode so I guess I will have to watch it.

The article says to remove flowers and berries of the "day neutral" varieties until mid to late June. So... guess I will still be buying strawberries this year -- at least for a few months.
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

Post  silverbug 4/4/2011, 7:48 am

I'm going to do strawberries for the first time this year, and I intend to do an ever bearing. The information I read indicates to pinch the flowers for the first 6-8 weeks, and clip the "runners" so that all the energy stays with the mother plant and goes into the fruit production.....so you can eat the harvest, but you have to train and nurture the plants to get the most out of them this year and the next possibly 4 or so years before you rip them out to start a new set of plants. I guess after that first 4-5 years, they slow production because a person usually can't keep up with the daughter plants and they just lose their prolific tendencies. All that I've read so far says that you can eat the fruit the first year, when you finally let it fruit.
silverbug

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down