Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? Toplef10Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? I22gcj10Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? Toplef10Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? I22gcj10Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 10:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 10:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 12:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson 4/17/2024, 11:49 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/17/2024, 11:25 pm

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 5:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 7:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 3:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 3:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 1:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 1:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 8:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 4:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 3:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 3:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 12:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 10:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 9:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 10:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 9:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 3:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 1:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 12:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 12:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 6:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 5:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box??

+4
Miss M
boffer
Blackrose
jymarino
8 posters

Go down

Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? Empty Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box??

Post  jymarino 3/29/2011, 10:30 am

I just used the MM calculator on the forum and it said that I need a total of 8 cubic feet of MM for my 4' x 4' x 6" boxes. Is that accurate? So I would need about 206 quarts of MM total? This may be a much more expensive endeavor that I originally thought.
jymarino

Back to top Go down

Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? Empty Re: Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box??

Post  Blackrose 3/29/2011, 11:52 am

8 cubic feet is what is recommended to fill one 4x4. It seems expensive to start, but remember, you don't have to replace it next year. Just add a trowel full of compost in each square before you plant again. So it is a one time expense and totally worth it!

You may want to start out with one 4x4 this year and then expand later to stretch out the costs.

Have fun with it! This a great way to grow your own food! Very Happy
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? Empty Re: Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box??

Post  boffer 3/29/2011, 12:01 pm

Buying by the quart doesn't sound cost effective. Just to see if your shopping numbers are in the ballpark: I figure that if I have to buy vermiculite, peat, and 5 composts, that MM costs me $5 per sf. Since I make my own 5 way compost, it costs me $2 per sf for vermiculite and peat.

I know that I pay a higher price for vermiculite than a lot of members across the country.

Yes, a 4x4 box takes a minimum of 8 cf
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 3/29/2011, 12:04 pm

Yes, it would take 8 cubic feet... if you were making a bed that was one foot deep, then 4 feet x 4 feet x 1 foot deep would be 16 cubic feet. Cut it in half, since the bed is only half a foot deep, and you get 8 cubic feet.

It is expensive right off the top, but when you consider the results you are supposed to get (this is my first year, so I can't speak from experience yet), and when you consider the years of soil amending you are bypassing, it is worth it.
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/29/2011, 5:30 pm

You won't be wrong in doing it correctly the first year.

I know people want to play around with the mixture. All for different reasons. But, I would tell you to get it right, and keep it right, for your first few seasons. You will then know what to tweak and why.

But, for anyone starting out, I think they should strive to get to the "baseline" first. If you don't get to at least that point, how do you know the method is better?

I'm a chronic tweaker. But, I haven't played with the MM yet....and don't need to. Why reinvent the wheel?
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 3/29/2011, 5:33 pm

Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? 68739 Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? 68739 Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? 68739

All of the above. Smile
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 3/30/2011, 2:02 am

It seems no matter what we are doing, as humans, even though we are doing something for the very first time, we just don't want to follow instructions. And guess what........it all started in a GARDEN of all places.......so is it any wonder that as gardeners, we still are trying to do things our own way?

But I work in a paint store. Have done for 10 years. People who are painting always want to cut corners too. They want to do the paint job in one day without the proper prep and only want to pay $20.00 for a gal. of paint. Some of my customers call me "The Paint Goddess". They have learned that I will not tell them to do something the wrong way. Many of them have learned the hard way, that there is a reason we clean, rinse, sand and prime before we paint. They come to me asking, "If I prime do I have to sand?" "do I really have to do four coats of this bright red?" "Can't I have this cover in ONE if I put it on really thick?" They will not believe me that you should not paint if the overnight temp. drops below +8 Celsius. They will not believe me when I tell them that pressure treated wood should be left to weather for a season before coating it with anything. The list goes on. So in spite of everything I tell them, no matter how many data sheets I show them, many of them still walk out of the store with their paint and proceed to do things their own way. When the project turns into a disaster, some have come back to me in anger, telling me I sold them a bad product. Others have come back in tears saying "I was in a hurry and tried to do this a different way and now it is a mess. How can I fix it?" And then, at greater expense both in labour and product, they proceed to follow instructions. Sometimes the bill ends up being thousands of dollars like the guy who built a $15,000.00 deck and refused to listen when we told him not to put any coating on it the first year.

The staff at the store where I work do not tell people to buy products that they do not need. If they do not need a primer, we will tell them so, but if they need one we will also tell them so. Our job is not just to sell paint and paint brushes but to see to it that they get the very best paint job they possibly can. We go over a list and will sell them all the tools they need to do the job so they don't get halfway through the job and realize they have to stop and go to the nearest store to get something they need. We will make sure they get what they need at the best possible price we can give them. We take their purchases to their car for them. We tell them to call us if they have trouble of any kind. We have a reputation for being the best.

I have said all of that to say that Mel has worked this all out for us. He has reasons for this in the book. I know that it always seems like we have good reasons to NOT follow instructions. It takes too long. It is too expensive. It doesn't make sense to waste perfectly good soil. The list goes on. If we really want to give SFG a fair shake, we owe it to ourselves and to Mel, to try at least one 4'x4' square exactly like the book tells us to. Start small and work up from that. You can plant a lot of stuff in one square.

Happy Gardening.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 3/30/2011, 3:32 pm

Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? 657780 Great example Old Hippie! What an awesome example. Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? 68739
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  genes 3/30/2011, 3:44 pm

Old Hippie wrote:It seems no matter what we are doing, as humans, even though we are doing something for the very first time, we just don't want to follow instructions. And guess what........it all started in a GARDEN of all places.......so is it any wonder that as gardeners, we still are trying to do things our own way?

That is worth needlepointing. Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? 997193
genes
genes

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/30/2011, 4:38 pm

Gwynn for SFG Goddess! Great example. Great post.

Now, how can I tweak it and make it even better? Do I really only need 8 cu ft of Mel's mix for a 4x4x6 box?? 601593
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down