Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma Toplef10First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma I22gcj10First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma Toplef10First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma I22gcj10First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

+4
Furbalsmom
Megan
FarmerValerie
thebaums
8 posters

Go down

First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma Empty First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Post  thebaums 3/27/2011, 2:43 pm

My wife and I found Mel's book at Lowe's and I have been so grateful! What started out as a way to reclaim my lost youth (my family always had a garden while I was growing up), and satisfy my craving for home-grown peas and cucumbers, has turned into a full scale family project. Now my wife, children, nieces, and even a second cousin have helped plant seeds already this year. All the kids have been SO excited to see the pea seeds they had planted 7 days ago already sprouting.

Our plan is to build a total of three gardens this year. We have already constructed and partially planted the first garden. We modified the standard box plan by using 9 inch tall patio pavers, and laid them out in an L-shaped bracket 2 feet wide by 8 feet long on each leg. I also had to build a low fence all the way around the garden to keep out the hordes of local wildlife.

My family and friends have been super impressed with the fact that I have been able to re-purpose nearly all the building materials from supplies I had on hand. The pavers came from an old patio, and the fence posts are aluminum rails I didn't need when I assembled my storage building. I am even going to be able to string my netting for the trellis on them!

We are also building a standard 4x4 for peas and peppers, and a 2x2 double depth box for potatoes and carrots next weekend. The carrots will be going in on the April 15th, of course!

If anyone else has used stone for your box, please let me know how well it worked for you!

Pics will follow soon as I post the current garden and build the new ones.

Final thanks again to Mel, the forum, and the iPhone app!

thebaums

Back to top Go down

First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma Empty Re: First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Post  FarmerValerie 3/27/2011, 2:52 pm

First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma 396615 to SFG & the Froum, got my book at Lowe's too. I was so dissapointed it was not on the shelves this year, but was last year. Maybe it's not where I can see it and need to complain a bit!!!

I spent a year in OK, I graduated in '84 from Eufaula, loved that state! We love to help so ask when needed, and we love pictures even more!!!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma Empty Re: First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Post  Megan 3/27/2011, 4:04 pm

Welcome to the forum and to SFG! Sounds like you have been extremely busy. Kudos for all the recycling and repurposing, too! I can't wait to see your pictures....and glad to know the iPhone app has been good to you! Smile
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/27/2011, 4:14 pm

First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma 396615 The Baums

Great to have you here.

SFG is really an easy way to get the family working together and having fun. The excitement of kids seeing the first pea shoots is a wonderful thing to experience.

I also have to fence my gardens due to the local wildlife, mostly deer, who think I have prepared a wildlife buffet just for them.

Please, keep us posted on your progress and post those pictures!

Again, Welcome.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma Empty Pics are in my album!

Post  thebaums 3/27/2011, 5:21 pm

I posted some of the pictures from what I am calling our "phase 1" garden. This garden will include peas, lettuce, various herbs, tomatoes, strawberries, corn, cucumbers, peppers, corn, onions, garlic, watermelon and cantaloupe.

Phase 2 (a 2 by 2 double depth box) and 3 (a 4 by 4 standard) boxes are planned for assembly and planting over the next two weeks. Any recommendations or comments will be appreciated.
thebaums

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/27/2011, 5:56 pm

Great pictures. Beautiful bed using the pavers. That's a great idea.
Thanks so much for adding these to the gallery, because I was having trouble visualizing the L shape. (pictures help)

I see your son was ready to plant and had his pencil ready.

Have fun and grow some veggies!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 3/27/2011, 7:31 pm

I would love to see thebaums album, but I don't see a link in the message. How do I get there?

MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 3/27/2011, 7:44 pm

Never mind, I figured it out! silly me
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 3/27/2011, 7:50 pm

FarmerValerie wrote:First time in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma 396615 to SFG & the Froum, got my book at Lowe's too. I was so dissapointed it was not on the shelves this year, but was last year. Maybe it's not where I can see it and need to complain a bit!!!

I spent a year in OK, I graduated in '84 from Eufaula, loved that state! We love to help so ask when needed, and we love pictures even more!!!

Howdy Folks: The ALL NEW SFG book is on the front line by customer service in our Lowe's.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 3/27/2011, 9:27 pm

Welcome! I grew up just down the road from you in Tulsa - went to Union High School! Nice looking garden you have there!
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/27/2011, 11:05 pm

Broken Arrow is a great place. Welcome aboard.

Using recycled stuff from around the house is awesome! I would love to incorporate stone into my gardens someday, but one "step" at a time...lol. Hope to hear more from you.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down