Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO! Toplef10Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO! I22gcj10Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO! Toplef10Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO! I22gcj10Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO!

+3
boffer
ModernDayBetty
BackyardBirdGardner
7 posters

Go down

Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO! Empty Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO!

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/26/2011, 11:34 am

With all the work I've done learning to extend my season and start seeds indoors, I will call this year a complete success no matter what happens over the summer. I have learned some valueable skills thanks in large part to you guys here.

However, this weekend I needed to be in KC. My brother's youngest is turning 1 and being baptized in the same weekend. So, we trucked on out on Friday around noon.

The last couple days had been hectic to say the least. I was very busy doing some spring clean up jobs and lining up a few more. On top of all that, the gas company screwed me over and cut the gas off to the wrong address. We are trying to sell another house in the area, and that is the house they were supposed to cut off. But, they came to my house and nailed me here. We had to buy space heaters for a night (found some sweet deals, btw), and pack and work and whatnot while arranging for someone to housesit until the gasman could come back over and turn things back on.

Bottom line is there was no way to get the garden tended to properly before I left. For one, I needed to watch the forecasts change with the flukey winter weather making it's return. Second, my housesitter turned out to be my mother-in-law. God bless her soul, but she knows less than nothing about the garden.....let alone all the tweaks I've done with the hoops and covers. So, I can't do much to save myself other than cross my fingers.

Well, news hits that we ARE going to get snow...2-5". And, the temps at night are supposed to get to 27F. Normally, it's a 2nd row cover and milk jug kind of night. But, I didn't put the 2nd row on before I left because if I get ANY sunshine, my veggies cook. And, gramma (M-I-L) isn't going to take off the first cover, take off the bird...errr dog....netting, put the 2nd cover on, cover everything back up, and reverse the process in the morning. And, how can I even ask her to do that? So, it be what it be, man.

Anyway, it's early, and I can always start over. It just blows chunkies to put all that work into defeating Mother Nature only to learn that most times she is unbeatable. That's ok.....I'll get her someday..... Twisted Evil
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO! Empty Re: Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO!

Post  ModernDayBetty 3/26/2011, 11:43 am

I don't have an MIL so in my mind it's pretty easy, "Women, get in the garden, I need you to do a, b, and c. I will be calling at 7 am to give you further instructions." Lol. But how well someone would respond to that is beyond my understanding haha.

Well, in any case, I will be thinking and sending your garden good vibes from across the country. I hope your able to relax and enjoy family birthday time without worrying too much about your plants survival.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO! Empty Re: Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO!

Post  boffer 3/26/2011, 11:43 am

I don't remember everything you're growing in your HH

But I'll bet you five good jokes that your cool crops will be OK until Monday noon, as long as it stays above 22*

Last edited by boffer on 3/26/2011, 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/26/2011, 11:45 am

Watch out, It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature. You are probaly old enough to remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLrTPrp-fW8
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO! Empty RE: Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO!

Post  Goosegirl 3/26/2011, 11:48 am

FarmerValerie wrote:Watch out, It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature. You are probaly old enough to remember.
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLrTPrp-fW8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLrTPrp-fW8[/quote[/url]]

Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO! 889526 Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO! 889526 Frost and wicked hard freeze....OH NOOOOO! 889526

Didn't even have to do the video for those memories! Obviously dating myself....

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 3/26/2011, 11:49 am

that is sooooooo disappointing
oh my goodness
I wish i lived close by --i would help
oh dear
I would be so frantic
I would ask for help no matter what---some help is better
than no help. Even if they did it wrong---at this point
what do you have to loose?

Snow? thats crazy aint it? !!!

I would freak if we got snow!!!!

crossing my fingers for your garden.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/26/2011, 12:04 pm

Thanks for all the warm....no pun intended.....wishes, guys.

But, tis only seeds.

I hope you are right, boffer. I only have cool season stuff in there. And, I know Mother Nature has dropped snow on STL before in late April and even May once. It's not like all the plants died. They probably didn't like it, but we still have trees and the farmers still ate and sold food.

Anywhoo, I am banking on the weathermen missing this forecast. But I ain't losin' no sleep over it. My frost date isn't technically until April 15th. So, I'z still goodz.

I appreciate it and all and don't want to sound ungrateful at all, but I would rather you all ship your prayers to Japan than to my little baggie of seeds....lol.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 3/26/2011, 12:25 pm

My broccoli, cauliflower, and lettuce all did fine with 28 degrees with just a tarp over the trellis back in February. Need to pull all that out now since it's supposed to be 97 the next two days Rolling Eyes

ETA: Oops..they changed the forecast...still 97 tomorrow, but 99 today affraid
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 3/26/2011, 12:33 pm

Shocked
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum