Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection Toplef10rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection I22gcj10rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection Toplef10rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection I22gcj10rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Rain barrels - Rain collection

+36
yolos
Marc Iverson
AtlantaMarie
sanderson
CapeCoddess
llama momma
snibb
Lemonie
Turnip
mtottle
walshevak
Nonna.PapaVino
Dunkinjean
kristinz
martha
GWN
givvmistamps
Too Tall Tomatoes
RoOsTeR
kittykat
CindiLou
plantoid
camprn
buttaflie143
Megan
nancy
FarmerValerie
Goosegirl
Old Hippie
boffer
bullfrogbabe
Glendale-gardener
ribarr4
staf74
westie42
sistabelle
40 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection Empty Rain barrels - Rain collection

Post  sistabelle 3/24/2011, 1:35 am

JUst make sure the barrels you use have been used for food grade materials.  YOu can't use barrels that have had chemicals in them.  If you go online and put rain barrel in the search engine you will also find instructions on how to make them for very little cost.  Of course you can buy the fancy dancy ones in garden centers for around $100.00.    
Rain barrels  do more than conserve, they make good sense!  WE never know what type of season we're going to have and if we have one of the dry drought type summers you will kick yourself for not building one! :cat:
sistabelle
sistabelle

Back to top Go down

rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection Empty Rain Barrels

Post  westie42 3/24/2011, 2:04 am

Thanks for the post I just saw one for over $200 in a fancy garden center, WOW I almost didn't go any farther in that store. Someone posted to look at Craigs list for your area and I found several food grade ones there for $5 to $20 each in the 55 gal size. Hotels, hospitals and collages that have large laundries mite also be an option, not dangerous chemicals but a good rinse should clean them out. I like real food barrels better though.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection Empty Re: Rain barrels - Rain collection

Post  staf74 3/24/2011, 8:43 am

I'm was about to buy four rain barrels after the awesome idea to try craigslist but got intrigued by the 275 gallon totes. Depends on your home config but I can easily divert 3 downspouts to pour into one of these. You can find food grade ones also and they will run around $75-125. Another idea if you really want to protect your summer plants from the inevitable drought with a larger garden. Our water here is a plant unfriendly hard type (not to mention all those processed chemicals) and maybe look into that than buying a few barrels if you need more water for less money. They already come with spouts on also.
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection Empty Re: rain barrels

Post  ribarr4 3/24/2011, 11:07 am

If you buy totes or barrels another thing to think about is algae. You will need to paint the lighter colored barrels (white) a dark color or cover your tote with a black tarp. If you don't, depending on where you live, you could have a tote full of algae.
ribarr4
ribarr4

Male Posts : 117

http://www.green-cityzen.com/

Back to top Go down

rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection Empty Re: Rain barrels - Rain collection

Post  staf74 3/24/2011, 11:10 am

Haha....my very own algae farm. Didn't think of that. Thanks. The totes are usually white but it will be in a shaded location all day. I might stick with it for now but paint black if needed. Thanks for the heads up.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  ribarr4 3/24/2011, 11:18 am

You might consider using a tarp. I just had a friend who started painting his and after a couple of cans only covered a small area he went and bought a small tarp. I think he cut a hole in the middle for the opening and used bungee chord to strap it down.
ribarr4
ribarr4

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 3/24/2011, 11:28 am

Will do. I have a tarp and bungees already. free is always better !

Appreciate the advice Smile
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 3/24/2011, 1:06 pm

I hadn't thought of algae! The ones I have are white, but underneath my screened porch, so they are hidden from the sun. But I plan to expand this year and 1 will be hidden behind some bushes and the other will get a lot of sun. So I guess the one in the sun will have to be painted or tarped, but what do you think of the one behind the bushes? They are tall viburnum, so very leafy.
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  sistabelle 3/24/2011, 3:02 pm

I painted mine a burgundy color to blend in with my brick home. There is no reason why rain barrels need to be ugly or unsightly. I try to keep mine as attractive as possible for me AND my neighbors or guest. Just need to make sure and use it even if you get rain so you can refresh the water.
sistabelle
sistabelle

Back to top Go down

Post  ribarr4 3/25/2011, 10:36 am

I know. Black really doesn't blend with much except at night. I just noticed some of ya'll are north. In the south algae grows everywhere it gets a little light, but I don't know about shade in the north. I do know that if it gets full sun it will grow quite a lot no matter where you are. I have green and blue barrels and white totes and I get algae in all of them.

How long have you had the white ones under shade?
ribarr4
ribarr4

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 3/25/2011, 1:18 pm

We just started with rain barrels pretty recently so I'm not sure how well they'll do in August. I don't get as hot up here in Ohio as you do but but we do get into the low 90's and we have a ton of humidity. But under my screened porch is almost 8 feet high and we have it blocked off with lattice, so it's almost like being in a shady but airy shed. We'll see how those do but I guess I should def paint the new ones going in the front. I was going to go pick them up this morning but our house got hit with a stomach bug, so I have to wait til tomorrow! There's always something!
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe 3/25/2011, 5:47 pm

It is also good to have a screened lid on top of them to keep out debris and to prevent mosquitoes from breeding in them. We don't need anymore of those! ESPECIALLY now that they can carry west nile virus and several other virus' or parasites that we don't want!
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 3/25/2011, 9:05 pm

Well guys, yesterday checked the thread and the suggestion of craigslist got me searching. What do ya know, a local guy where I live buys them bulk and makes them for a living. We met in a mutual town today and I took two home for $50 each. I saw the same ones in out local health food store (who his company has the contract for) for $80 each.

I will probably have to shade them with something to stop them from boiling the water...LOL. Perhaps a shrub / tarp or something but went for black to try to negate the algae problem. They are food grade and were from a pickling plant.

Here they are....

rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection 100_2825

rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection 100_2826

rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection 100_2827

Just in time for a rainy weekend !!!!
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  sistabelle 3/25/2011, 9:20 pm

MAN ! you got a good deal and beautiful barrels!
sistabelle
sistabelle

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/25/2011, 9:31 pm

I don't know what to do.

When you think of Seattle, do you think of rain? Truth is, Seattle gets about the same amount as Cleveland or NYC. It just takes 10x longer to come down! With so little rain coming down in July and August, any guesses whether or not rain barrels would be worthwhile? I'm on a well with high iron content, and have about 700 sf to water. Thanks.

Here is a rainfall graph for Seattle. We don't get much rain in the summer when we need it most.
rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection 71810
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 3/25/2011, 11:47 pm

Boffer, I would try one anyway, especially if you can find one for cheap. It is amazing how much water you can collect during one or two rainfalls. Our house is 868 sqft. with a roof that has a four/twelve pitch. So it is not very big. But it does not take very long to fill a 45 gal. barrel. Even if you don't get enough to water your garden for the whole summer, some is better than nothing. Maybe just try a large garbage can for this summer and see how it goes.

Old hippie that I am, I just hate to see it going to waste.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 3/25/2011, 11:53 pm

Thanks Sista !

I used acetone cleaner (only on the outside) to clean them first and then smeared vegetable oil all over with a rag as he recommended. It helps protect the plastic somehow and also gives that new glossy shine.

I'm very happy with them and you can build off them to expand the system as needed.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 3/26/2011, 12:16 am

Boffer,

Sorry for the double post here, I just saw your post as I posted. As hippie said, apparently, these things are very surprising in how much they catch and how fast by all accounts. However, I am surprised by how little rainfall you get during the summer months in Stl, WA.

Trying to think outside the box here. Do you have a friend / neighbor with some additional roof space who could help out with rain catchment? and who would split the cost: win win perhaps. Also, these barrels were selling plain for only $25 each ($22 for 3 or more and $20 each for over 10 etc which made me wonder what he got them for when he buys them in bulk) without being converted for a rain barrel use (spigots, mesh catchment top etc). You are so creative and talented, I'm sure you do it for a fraction of the cost and perhaps make some money as a side job to offset gardening costs?....which are seriously denting my budget..

Craigslist has these types of operations going on all over the country it seems. I'm just not that way inclined i'm sad to report. If anyone can make this work, you can. Good luck !!

I'll do a rain dance for you this summer Very Happy
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/26/2011, 1:05 am

Thank you. I have four barrels already; they're currently filled with MM. I guess I'm trying to get an idea of how long 50 gallons would last me. I have visions of them sitting there empty waiting for rain during a dry spell. I know I have plenty of roof for collection.

I might have to fill a barrel with the hose, jerry-rig a pump and hose, and try it.

I had to laugh at myself a couple times this year when I realized I was standing in the rain and watering the plants in my hoop houses!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 3/26/2011, 1:39 am

boffer wrote: I guess I'm trying to get an idea of how long 50 gallons would last me.

Well I'm pretty wasteful with water which is something I really want to change, hence barrel purchase. I've tried the saucer depression in MM from sun-warmed water can etc but still, in the end, I usually just douse it with the hose ..... SIGH

If you really went by the book, cupful right at the base, I'm sure those few barrels you had would really be able to get through through ANY lean spell for a substantial length of time.....Algae farm in standing water notwithstanding hopefully.

While I'm on the subject, how many algae do I plant per SF ? didn't see that in Mel's book. I was guessing at 10 million but might thin out to just the one million after a few days Wink
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection Empty RE: rain barrels

Post  Goosegirl 3/26/2011, 7:15 am

staf74 wrote:.....Algae farm in standing water notwithstanding hopefully.

While I'm on the subject, how many algae do I plant per SF ? didn't see that in Mel's book. I was guessing at 10 million but might thin out to just the one million after a few days Wink

I was thinking...throw a couple of those little algae-eating sucker catfish in the barrel and let them add fish pee and fish poo to the water! rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection 889526
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/26/2011, 9:36 am

Also check with local soda manufacturing places, sometimes one in our area lets the barrels go for $5 each, that's a 55 gal barrel. Boffer keep your eyes open, you are resourcefull enough to find something, and some water collected is cheaper than no water collected. It's kinda like when I see someone leave their car running, I remind them the get 0 miles per gallon that way. Free is always good, free water is even better, you'll find something.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 3/26/2011, 10:42 am

Goosegirl wrote:

I was thinking...throw a couple of those little algae-eating sucker catfish in the barrel and let them add fish pee and fish poo to the water! rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection 889526

rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection 262465 hey I like that idea!

Gwynn

ps. g girl, I love the little poem in your signature line.
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/26/2011, 11:25 am

rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection 695909
Old Hippie wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:

rain barrels - Rain barrels - Rain collection 262465 hey I like that idea!

Gwynn

ps. g girl, I love the little poem in your signature line.

to the ps Gwynn - The first part of the poem is part of a longer poem I memorized in elementary school, unknown author. The 2 weeks of summer? Well, that is just where I live! Since you are z-3b, do you get both weeks of summer or only one? (or less? Rolling Eyes )
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 3/26/2011, 1:49 pm

Did I say a rainy weekend ??

It hasn't stopped. Both barrels were full to the brim in no time. The overflow valve is working overtime. If I had more, they'd be full too. Alas, budget won't allow. I'll build on more in the fall.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next