Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Strawberries Toplef10Strawberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Strawberries I22gcj10Strawberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Strawberries Toplef10Strawberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Strawberries I22gcj10Strawberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Strawberries

+12
staf74
Furbalsmom
sil_simi
pattipan
Lavender Debs
tkdtara84
jillschmill
donnainzone5
WardinWake
dizzygardener
Nonna.PapaVino
sheslostit
16 posters

Go down

Strawberries Empty Strawberries

Post  sheslostit 3/23/2011, 6:40 pm

So i've just planted everbearing strawberries (ozarks) and i have a question...some say you should trim the flowers off until june for better berry production. Have any of you done this? Or do you just let the plants be?
sheslostit

Back to top Go down

Strawberries Empty strawberries

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 3/28/2011, 6:20 pm

Sheslostit, I'd like to know about trimming off runners as well. We just received our new strawberry plants and have planted them out: 25 plants each in two four-foot square beds. One bed has Seascape, the other Tristar--both claim to be everbearing. After 2 days in their new beds, they look good....my fingers are crossed. Our old and delicious rhubarb plant is putting out new leaves and my mouth is set for strawberry-rhubarb pie!
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Strawberries Empty Re: Strawberries

Post  dizzygardener 3/28/2011, 6:28 pm

How old are your plants?

If they are less than a year old you should cut off all the flowers so the plants can focus on producing a healthy well-established root system. After the first year you can let them bear fruit.

If you don't cut the flowers off you will still get strawberries, but not a whole heck of a lot and you'll have a poorly developed plant.

If the plant is over a year old then you don't need to remove the blossoms. If you are planting the strawberries in your SFG you'll want to clip off the runners to prevent the plant from taking over your box (unless that is want you want them to do).

Last edited by dizzygardener on 3/28/2011, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 3/28/2011, 7:48 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Sheslostit, I'd like to know about trimming off runners as well. We just received our new strawberry plants and have planted them out: 25 plants each in two four-foot square beds. One bed has Seascape, the other Tristar--both claim to be everbearing. After 2 days in their new beds, they look good....my fingers are crossed. Our old and delicious rhubarb plant is putting out new leaves and my mouth is set for strawberry-rhubarb pie!

Howdy Nonna:

Like any new baby it "depends". If you want max production from your plants the first year clip off the runners as they form. If you wish to expand your planting of strawberries allow the runners to grow. The runners will soon start baby plants that you can place in buried cups (with drain holes) while they are still attached to the mother plant. After the baby has set it's own roots you can then cut the runner from the mother plant and move the new strawberry plant to a new home. You can also just allow the runners to set root in your SFG, clip and move by digging up the new plant being careful with the roots of the mother plant. If you allow the runners to set new plants in the beds they will overfill the beds. As I recall if you want to allow the plants to expand and stay in your SFG plant one per square. If you will be cutting the runners off as they form plant 4 per square.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 3/28/2011, 9:13 pm

WardinWake, thank you for the info. Now I know why I was delighted when my son fell in love with, and married, a lady from Virginia.
And to dizzygardener, I shall follow your advice, but it doesn't look like we'll get many strawberries for the pie that way. Luckily, we still have around 20 plants in an old bed nearer to the house--not as desirable a variety as those newly planted, but perhaps we'll have enough s'berries to satisfy us until next year.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/29/2011, 10:57 am

I picked strawberries for $ on large commercial farms from age 7-16.

I doubt that these berry farmers had the time or technology to trim off the flowers on first-year plants!. Usually, second- and third-year plants produced the most fruit.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 3/29/2011, 12:45 pm

You'd be surprised how many growers do. They need that best productivity they can get. You really do get much MUCH better yields that way. The same is true of blueberries except they don't let them set fruit until year three. Growers who grow indeterminate tomatoes also clip off the suckers. They have the man hours to do it.

But hey, people are free to do as they please. At the end of the day, when these plants grow wild there is no one to clip off flowers, etc. I'm just mentioning best practices here for an improved harvest.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Strawberries Empty What about the first year with runners planted?

Post  jillschmill 4/14/2011, 10:13 pm

A further question...

Last year I had strawberries planted that I didn't cut the flowers off of (amateur mistake). I also let the runners plant themselves and root. So this spring when I was moving my SFG, I dug out all the plants, split all of them into separate plants, and replanted them. So my question is, Do I trim the flowers off of them this year? Are these runners considered "new plants" or not? They've started to flower already and I just planted them this weekend. Thanks!! I'm trying to have an entire 4x4 of just strawberries and want to do it right this year.

Jill
jillschmill
jillschmill

Back to top Go down

Post  tkdtara84 4/14/2011, 11:58 pm

The pinching off flowers is a heavily debated topic. I plan to let mine fruit this year since it's debatable. My aunt has tried both ways without noticing a difference, but I'm not basing my decision on that anecdotal evidence alone. If you do some reading, you'll find there's no solid proof either way. Since they can't prove it to me, I'd rather have the berries. Very Happy
tkdtara84
tkdtara84

Female Posts : 68

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/15/2011, 10:34 am

About every two years, my mom (premier gardner in the family) takes up her strawberries, amends the bed with compost, and replants the young plants, discarding the oldest mother plants. She does not remove the flowers, and harvests strawberries all summer and fall, lots of strawberries! My take on this is: Granny is 89 years old, she's worked with s'berries nearly all her life, she gets lots, she must know what she's doing, I'll do what she does. end of story
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/15/2011, 11:35 am

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:snip..... She does not remove the flowers, and harvests strawberries all summer and fall, lots of strawberries! My take on this is: Granny is 89 years old, she's worked with s'berries nearly all her life, she gets lots, she must know what she's doing, I'll do what she does. end of story

+1 (same with both my gram'mas)

I know people who are committed to one way or the other. With runners and flowers. They both end up with good jam.

I let mine fruit and eat the berries. They are still stronger in the 2nd year than the first but I already know what I'm getting. I feel like what I do for them in fall has more to do with what kind of fruit I'll get next summer.

Deborah....trusting that the Creator knew what he was doing.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 4/15/2011, 11:43 am

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:About every two years, my mom (premier gardner in the family) takes up her strawberries, amends the bed with compost, and replants the young plants, discarding the oldest mother plants. She does not remove the flowers, and harvests strawberries all summer and fall, lots of strawberries! My take on this is: Granny is 89 years old, she's worked with s'berries nearly all her life, she gets lots, she must know what she's doing, I'll do what she does. end of story

That's good to hear. I have my ever-bearing strawberries in those half-barrel cedar planters (in Mel's Mix) and I've been wondering about how to renew/add new the compost. I've was thinking of doing it like your grandma this Fall when they're done fruiting.

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  sil_simi 4/15/2011, 1:27 pm

http://gradinar.sunphoto.ro/Square_foot_gardening/34743987
sil_simi
sil_simi

Male Posts : 20

http://www.eurotrip.ro

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/15/2011, 5:16 pm

Those strawberries are looking good.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 4/15/2011, 5:41 pm

I don't mean to intervene here, just that something is puzzling me.

And to dizzygardener, I shall follow your advice....

But then....

My take on this is: Granny is 89 years old, she's worked with s'berries nearly all her life, she gets lots, she must know what she's doing, I'll do what she does. end of story

Perhaps I'm wrong but forum etiquette appears to have been forgotten somewhat. Dizzy was only offering advice and trying to help.
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 4/16/2011, 1:30 am

I'd guess both posts were posted about the same time. Don't think I ready dizzy's post before I wrote about my mom's way of raising strawberries. It wasn't meant as a critique of any other way of growing strawberries. Just a comment on one way that has been successful.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Strawberries Empty Speaking of which...

Post  NaturesApprentice 4/26/2011, 9:26 pm

I've got these mini strawberries (Ozark Beauty) and one looks yummy, but is still green around the stem. How do I know when they are ready to pick?

Strawberries 00214
NaturesApprentice
NaturesApprentice

Male Posts : 53

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/26/2011, 9:28 pm

When you can taste it!

sorry...seriously many still have green at the stem but are ready. Preferable no green but watch out for the birds they don't get it first!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Melbourne 4/27/2011, 9:24 am

CindiLou wrote:When you can taste it!

sorry...seriously many still have green at the stem but are ready. Preferable no green but watch out for the birds they don't get it first!

I second this, we have been losing probably 3/4 of our berries to birds and Chipmunks. This year I'm going to net everything.
Melbourne

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/27/2011, 9:54 am

Whatever method you choose, be sure to cover those lovelies with netting of some kind before they are fully ripe or the birds might get to breakfast before you do.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/27/2011, 11:23 am

Golly I hope last year was the tithe to creation year.

I wait and wait for pie cherries and if I don't net them up in time all I have to pick are neatly stripped pits hanging in the tree. I've never had a sweet cherry tree before; do they do the same thing to those?

Those little bitty slugs we call plant lice are what do the damage to my strawberries (I've only grown them in the mountains, this will be the first year for in ground strawberries at sea-level) Some years I would just give up and tell the family that the little hole in the shoulder was the inspectors stamp of approval.

Debs... still a little nutty about the yummy purple asparagus I got to harvest yesterday WOW.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum