Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help with compost please Toplef10Help with compost please 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help with compost please I22gcj10Help with compost please 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help with compost please Toplef10Help with compost please 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help with compost please I22gcj10Help with compost please 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help with compost please

+12
camprn
succotash
donnainzone5
beagle love
WardinWake
Cross_stitcher
Kabaju42
LupinFarm
chexmix
mckr3441
SirTravers
Karl.Gibbs
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Help with compost please Empty Help with compost please

Post  Karl.Gibbs 3/20/2010, 11:29 pm

Did any of you purchase your compost when you started SFG? My boxes are built and I'm ready to start, but I am having trouble finding 5 different kinds of compost, which is what Mel recommends.

If you did purchase your compost, what kinds and where? So far I have only been able to track down Mushroom, Cow Manure, and Hummus.

Thanks for any help you can offer this beginner.
Karl.Gibbs

Back to top Go down

Help with compost please Empty Different stores, different brands

Post  SirTravers 3/20/2010, 11:35 pm

There's not a whole lot of choice here in my corner of NM so here's what I did. I got a bag of compost and a bag of steer manure at Walmart, got a bag of Hummus from Lowes, got a bag of composted cottonseed hulls and a bag of mixed chicken poo/worm castings at my local garden center. I could have gotten another bag of compost at Home Depot, but it seemed to be the same stuff that Walmart had this year so I opted not to. If you know of any stables or dairies around you might talk to them as I'm sure they'll let you have all the "byproduct" you can handle.
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Help with compost please Empty Re: Help with compost please

Post  mckr3441 3/21/2010, 12:00 am

Welcome Karl, to the SFG Forums. Help with compost please Icon_cheers Help with compost please Icon_cheers Help with compost please Icon_cheers
This is a very good place to post questions. Usually they get lots of responses! Let me be the first.

You are on your way to a good Mel's Mix. Have you tried looking in different kinds of stores? I go around to the nurseries, WalMart, Lowes, Home Depot and local hardware stores. You can also try country feed stores. They often have unexpected kinds. Pine-fines are one I found. Chicken manure is good, also worm castings (which have another name and I can't remember what it is). I checked on Craigs List once and found free aged horse manure! Once you get going, you will probably want to start a compost pile. Then next year you will have at least one less type to find. I compost kitchen scraps, leaves and garden waste -- no weeds though. That gives me three kinds right there.

Don't forget the spaghnum peat moss and the dreaded vermiculite. Look for the ver. at all those places too.

Keep us posted on how you fare. I'm pretty certain you'll get more advice here.

Happy Gardening.
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Help with compost please Empty Compost

Post  chexmix 3/21/2010, 12:42 am

I found three different kinds at Lowe's. They had cow compost and mushroom compost made by black gold (I think) and they also have there own brand of compost. I purchased my 4th brand at Wal-Mart. I could not find a fifth kind.

This is my first year doing SFG and it has been fun. I planted about 1 week ago and my radishes are starting to sprout. Found first bit of life today. Help with compost please Icon_cheers
chexmix
chexmix

Female Posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Post  LupinFarm 3/21/2010, 1:25 am

I couldn't find more than "3" composts. I'm not sure what the Vigoro has in it, but it says "all natural material" so I'm thinking its something of a green-matter compost. I could get Sheep, Cow, and a "All-purpose" compost and that was it! I do have on hand some horse, goat, chicken, and duck poo-tea but most of it, aside from the duck, isn't all the way composted unfortunately. Although I did put some of the horse in my carrot bed...

If you live in a rural area you will have an easy time talking to riding schools, and people on *small* plots of land who keep horses or goats about taking away some manure. Those living on smaller plots will have a harder time hiding the poop and may even have signs up. Like for instance, if you lived around here I'd move the big mare and say have at it so you could start your own manure pile. Dairies and cow farms are highly unlikely to give away manure, these people rely on the poop to dress and augment their fields. I know this, I live adjacent to about 250 arcres of hay and corn fields that get spread with cow manure regularly Smile
LupinFarm

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl.Gibbs 3/21/2010, 7:38 am

So far we have shopped the local Garden center, Lowes, and Wal-Mart. Those are the only stores in our immediate area.
Karl.Gibbs

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 3/21/2010, 12:18 pm

Karl.Gibbs wrote:So far we have shopped the local Garden center, Lowes, and Wal-Mart. Those are the only stores in our immediate area.

Ou... that's not good. Have they put out all their spring/summer inventory yet? Maybe you are just too early. I can't remember where you are located. I'm in 5b/Northern Ohio and our stuff isn't all out yet at those stores.

If you can get to the country, try feed and seed stores.

Keep checking back here for more input and let us know where you finally pick this stuff up. It's time-consuming, I know. Can you look at it as a good scavenger hunt and have some fun with it??? Help with compost please Icon_smile Or do you feel like this: Help with compost please Icon_evil
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl.Gibbs 3/21/2010, 4:40 pm

I'm located in Southern IL--Zone 5. Believe I have located some horse manure. That will make 4 kinds and I'm thinking of going ahead and mixing, rather than hunting for a fifth kind.
Karl.Gibbs

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 3/21/2010, 6:04 pm

Oh! I'm so glad you didn't give up Help with compost please Icon_cheers . I would go ahead at this point to if I were you. You can add a fifth kind to the leftover soil when you find it. Then when you amend the soil during replanting you'll be good to go for sure.

Have you found vermiculite? And I'm sure you have your peat moss too. Right.

Happy Gardening. It really is fun. Keep coming back.
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 3/21/2010, 10:56 pm

This may seem odd, but try calling your local dump and sewer plant. They tend to have compost for really low prices that's made from various sources in order to reduce filling up the landfills. Don't worry about it being nasty, before they sell it they have to make sure there are no pathogens any other nasty stuff.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  Cross_stitcher 3/22/2010, 12:05 am

Regarding the use of end-product from the sewage treatment plant, I did just that in the 1970s. This plant was in Santa Barbara, CA. The sludge was dried and sort of clumpy. (btw, there was no odor, but plenty of bandaids and later, tomato volunteers.) Before I could load the sludge, I had to sign an agreement that I would NOT grow root crops that were to be eaten raw. Since my SFG is a table-top style, growing radishes, onions and carrots, I won't be using sewage sludge any more. but when I did, I filled two long beds beside my driveway with the sludge. I grew fabulous beans and a climbling rose in this bed grew 25'. I remember this was 1976 (bicentennial year) and I planted it with red-white-blue annuals. The flowers were tremendous.
Cross_stitcher

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 3/22/2010, 6:23 am

Howdy:

Many municipal dumps have a composting facility that do not have sewage sludge. It is made from leaves, grass, and other brown and green items brought in by folks who don't do their own composting. Check with the facility and they will tell you the sources of their compost.

God Bless, Ward.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 3/22/2010, 10:37 pm

Cross_stitcher wrote:Regarding the use of end-product from the sewage treatment plant, I did just that in the 1970s. This plant was in Santa Barbara, CA. The sludge was dried and sort of clumpy. (btw, there was no odor, but plenty of bandaids and later, tomato volunteers.) Before I could load the sludge, I had to sign an agreement that I would NOT grow root crops that were to be eaten raw. Since my SFG is a table-top style, growing radishes, onions and carrots, I won't be using sewage sludge any more. but when I did, I filled two long beds beside my driveway with the sludge. I grew fabulous beans and a climbling rose in this bed grew 25'. I remember this was 1976 (bicentennial year) and I planted it with red-white-blue annuals. The flowers were tremendous.

That's interesting to hear your experience with it. I've never tried the sewer compost myself, but I have a friend that gets it every year for his garden and loves it. In my mind I've always seen it as the same as using manure from other animals, just more controlled because of the sitgma.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  beagle love 3/23/2010, 12:15 am

I used this commercial compost it has various sources, it's by Gardner and Bloome. I also used the N'Rich from the same manufacture but I liked the Gardner and Bloome stuff much better. I also added some horse manure compost too just in case. I think I had more than five sources, the Gardner and Bloome stuff too care of like 4 sources. Everything is growing great so far. Here is the link.

http://www.kellogggarden.com/gardner-bloome-products?q=gardner-bloome-soil#farm
beagle love
beagle love

Female Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  beagle love 3/23/2010, 12:19 am

No not horse stuff, but Steer Manure. Here is what I used, not sure if its ok to post the pics. If it is not ok I apologize. [img]Help with compost please Kellog10[/img][img]Help with compost please Steer-10[/img][img]Help with compost please Garden10[/img]
beagle love
beagle love

Female Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Help with compost please Empty Gardner & Bloome

Post  donnainzone5 3/23/2010, 10:48 am

I purchased a bag of this company's Soil-Building Compost last fall and was somewhat disappointed to find that it contained lots of uncomposted wood products. The bed I used it in has not performed as well as usual. Perhaps I purchased the wrong product?

I've had good luck with Armstrong Garden Center's Planting Compost, which contains eight ingredients and no peat moss. To that I add worm castings, Armstrong's Top Coat product (composted wood products + mushroom compost), and sometimes a supermarket organic compost made from composted forest products, yard waste, and the market's own discarded produce. Try looking at outdoor garden displays at your local grocery stores!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  succotash 3/10/2011, 6:42 pm

My son-in-law and I just finished building our raised garden, 24' x 24'. Unfortunately we purchased 12 cu. yards of soil upon the recommendation of a friend, which turned out to be silty loam with very little organic matter. Now I am looking for a compost to improve the condition of the soil. I tried purchasing bags of composted cow manure from Lowes. A bag covers about a sq yard of area 6 inches deep. Mixing it in with the silty loam. At 4$ a bag, it is very expensive compared to bagging compost yourself at the local nursery.

We decided to stop nickle and dime'n this to death so I just ordered 6 yards of composted soil from one of the soil companies near my home. I have a number of choices, composted horse manure, composted human waste, composted vegetable matter with sour milk, and something they call container mix, which they say is good for vegetable gardens. I do not recall everything they say is in the mix but it's all organic with nut shells, manure and vegetable matter. They also have an acid mix. That
would probably be great for potatoes.

I am thinking about going with 3 cu yards of the container mix and 3 cu yards of the sour milk compost.

I smelled all of their soils and they seem fine, no foul odors.

Do you know anything about the sour milk compost?

Am I making the proper adjustments?

Thanks,
Richard

I am also building a large flower bed near the house. Not all six yards is going in the garden.
succotash
succotash

Male Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/10/2011, 7:07 pm

succotash wrote:

I am thinking about going with 3 cu yards of the container mix and 3 cu yards of the sour milk compost.

Thanks,
Richard

I am also building a large flower bed near the house. Not all six yards is going in the garden.

That sounds like a great solution. I regularly add sour milk to my compost, I cover it when I our it in and odor is rarely a problem. I have friends that add milk to their gardens and I use dried milk and epsom salt when I transplant my tomatoes and eggplants. Good luck with your garden!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  succotash 3/10/2011, 7:39 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. What does the epson salt do for the plants? What amounts do you use?
succotash
succotash

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/10/2011, 8:06 pm

well I use a handful (Tablespoon) of powdered milk (calcium) and a handful epsom salts (magnesium) and a match head (sulfur) in the hole before setting in the tomatoes and eggplants. Adding these I hope to ward off things like blossom end rot. Help with compost please 311672
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/10/2011, 8:14 pm

camprn wrote:well I use a handful (Tablespoon) of powdered milk (calcium) and a handful epsom salts (magnesium) and a match head (sulfur) in the hole before setting in the tomatoes and eggplants. Adding these I hope to ward off things like blossom end rot. Help with compost please 311672

Great Idea! Help with compost please 997193 The first time I planted tomatoes in my yard here in SD I put 1 TBSP of epsom salts at the bottom of each hole and had the most beautiful plants with lots of fruit. I have not tried powdered milk and match heads, but I think I will give it a try this year!

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/11/2011, 12:16 am

I would also like more information on using milk in compost and directly in the garden. I often have extra milk from my goats. I've read some interesting articles on using it on pastures and in the garden.

I have dumped extra on trees & bushes once in a while. Last year I dumped my wash water from washing the milking machine on bushes that did well til the gophers got them. This water contains clorox and milk in small amounts and I let it set for about 8-12 hours for the chlorine to disapate before using it. Would it be ok to occassionaly use it on the SFG beds? When I use stronger chemicasl for cleaning I do not reuse that water.

camprn wrote:
succotash wrote:

Thanks,
Richard

That sounds like a great solution. I regularly add sour milk to my compost, I cover it when I our it in and odor is rarely a problem. I have friends that add milk to their gardens and I use dried milk and epsom salt when I transplant my tomatoes and eggplants. Good luck with your garden!
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  succotash 3/11/2011, 7:09 pm

I purchased epsom salt, Nonfat powdered milk and a box of kitchen matches today.

I searched the internet to see what I could find about the use of epsom salt. I wanted to see if there are any other plants that benefit from it. I found a good explanation and research on its use. http://www.garden.org/subchannels/flowers/roses?q=show&id=68

It appears Peppers and Roses benefit from it as well. In the article, testers use it as a foliar spray at bloom time and again 10 days later (1 tablespoon Epsom Salt to a gallon of water). Established rose bushes were sprayed at 6 week intervals, starting when leaves came out and continuing through the summer (about 4 applications). Here is an excerpt from the article.

"Four out of the six testers reported that the Epsom salts-treated pepper plants and fruits were larger than the controls. For the treated roses,
testers reported greener foliage, bushier plants, and more roses than on the control plants."

Composted Soil arrives tomorrow, so I will plant tomatoes, Egg plant, and Red bell peppers just as soon as the soil is in place. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you very much for the advice.
succotash
succotash

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/11/2011, 7:57 pm

I used crushed up Tums for my tomatoes and squash when I had trouble with BER last year. Seemed to help just fine.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Help with compost please Empty Pre bag blended compost

Post  KermitDorie 9/12/2022, 7:33 am

Is there a Square Foot Garden approved blended compost already mixed? Not sure I can mix all of it. Can get the vermiculite and peat moss desperately maybe manure as well.
KermitDorie
KermitDorie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next