Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gardening books Toplef10Gardening books 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gardening books I22gcj10Gardening books 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gardening books Toplef10Gardening books 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gardening books I22gcj10Gardening books 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Gardening books

+6
Goosegirl
FarmerValerie
Lavender Debs
ander217
boffer
Dr.Bigfoot
10 posters

Go down

Gardening books Empty Gardening books

Post  Dr.Bigfoot 3/21/2011, 11:36 pm

Well, I was super motivated after reading Mel's book. Even more excited about composting after reading Let it Rot. But this "Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades" has been kind of a downer. The first 40 pages seem to be nothing than a list of all the reasons why it's hard to grow veggies around here. I hope it gets better. A non SFG person recommended it to me. Many of the topics don't quite apply since this guy talks about row gardening and sounds anti-SFG at times. Apparently our manure options suck, the hay sucks, the soil sucks, the rain sucks, the brief appearance of the sun sucks. Sheesh! Can I return a book to the bookstore with the complaint that it was too depressing? tongue
Dr.Bigfoot

Back to top Go down

Gardening books Empty Re: Gardening books

Post  boffer 3/22/2011, 12:05 am

Dr.Bigfoot wrote: Apparently our manure options suck, the hay sucks, the soil sucks, the rain sucks, the brief appearance of the sun sucks. Sheesh! Can I return a book to the bookstore with the complaint that it was too depressing? tongue

Nah...they would just blame it on S.A.D.S.! The trick is to acknowledge, accept, and adapt...or something like that...a marriage counselor told me that once! I dunno: I plan on having great success with cool crops; I hope for, but don't expect success with warm season crops; I know the best places to buy tomatoes and peppers for salsa in case we have a lousy summer!

It's not the best...but have you seen some of the sci-fi monsters our southern friends on the forum call bugs? Ye gads!! I think we win! Wink
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  ander217 3/22/2011, 8:20 am

boffer wrote:It's not the best...but have you seen some of the sci-fi monsters our southern friends on the forum call bugs? Ye gads!! I think we win! Wink

Gardening books 889526 Gardening books 68739
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/22/2011, 9:10 am

I am a recovering row gardener who has a copy of Steve Solomon's original Growing West of the Cascades... I thought it was a decent reference. He was the first person that I ever read who was willing to tell me how to mix my own organic fertilizer. He was the one who let me know why it takes so long to grow tomatoes in a Maritime Climate and how to have food in Spring by overwintering. The information I hated in high-school biology is in his book (no element charts, just the information on soil science), so I don't feel so bad about not taking notes in class back in the day. Even though a lab we once shared our home with used this book as a chew toy, I still open it up and read circles around the bite marks.

My current veggie read is "Seed to Seed" on learning to save seeds. My husband, who is just beginning to get interested in growing food, is sure that it is too technical, but I compare it to one of his Chilton’s (car repair manuals), something I would never read (I hardly look at the pictures) and he gets it. I find Mel's book slightly irritating because I want to get to the meat without sloshing through all the gravy, Ray likes Mel’s book because he wants all the information and encouragement he can get.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/22/2011, 10:49 am

ander217 wrote:
boffer wrote:It's not the best...but have you seen some of the sci-fi monsters our southern friends on the forum call bugs? Ye gads!! I think we win! Wink

Gardening books 671790 Gardening books 950477 Gardening books 471599
sci-fi is right, we spend more time fighting bugs than anything else, and we may be able to grow outside from March to November, but we fight bugs from April to April...... We've already started killing squash bugs this year, and the squash is still not out yet.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.Bigfoot 3/22/2011, 8:58 pm

Yeah, I just decided to skip the sections on fertilizer and soil types since that doesn't really apply since I'm using Mel's Mix as our medium to grow food. Now it's less depressing to read it. My coworkers are teasing me about all my gardening books and research. Can't help it. I like to read as much as possible about anything new I'm trying.
Dr.Bigfoot

Back to top Go down

Gardening books Empty Sci-Fi Bugs

Post  Goosegirl 3/23/2011, 6:40 am

FarmerValerie wrote:
ander217 wrote:

sci-fi is right, we spend more time fighting bugs than anything else, and we may be able to grow outside from March to November, but we fight bugs from April to April...... We've already started killing squash bugs this year, and the squash is still not out yet.

Gardening books 889526 Gardening books 889526 Gardening books 889526 Gardening books 889526 Gardening books 889526

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! When I moved to SD from CA I showed a picture of a potato bug to my gardener friends out here and they screamed - it is not what SD gardeners call a potato bug! I don't know what the 'official' size of these things is supposed to be, but I know I have seen them 3" long.

TC

http://www.potatobugs.com/
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 3/23/2011, 2:06 pm

Goosegirl...you might get a kick out of this thread since you mentioned potato bugs...

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3645-this-is-my-gardening-nightmare
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/23/2011, 3:29 pm

middlemamma wrote:Goosegirl...you might get a kick out of this thread since you mentioned potato bugs...

[url=https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3645-this-is-my-gardening-nightmare
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3645-this-is-my-gardening-nightmare[/quote[/url]]

lol! Loved it! I remember that HISSING sound! I followed the link to the potato bug info site in your post. It had all the right info about the 'potato bug' but it is too bad that it shows a little bitty Colorado Potato Beetle instead of a POTATO BUG! Those beetles are what my SD friends thought I was talking about until I showed them the picture of that big pink face with black eyes and that striped abdomen that looks like a pink and black bee on steroids!

I still remember 30+ years ago when I was at my brother's house and we found his baby girl scooting across the floor with one of those things in her chubby little hand getting ready to stuff it in her mouth affraid. You should have heard the screams!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 3/23/2011, 4:02 pm

Goosegirl...when I wrote that post months and months ago it had correct info and photos..I fixed it today...the site must have changed things around in the months since.

Thanks for catching that.

I cannot even imagine a baby having that...or the screams....I have to admit I don't know if I would a have been brave enough to help the kid...oye vay, how terrible is THAT! Embarassed I don't think I would have been able to hear anyone else's screams over my own!

Jen
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/23/2011, 4:17 pm

I have 3 boys, I won't even begin to tell you the things I have done I never thought I would do. And it is VERY true there are just some things a mother does NOT need to know about her precious boys.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  yosoypanadero 3/23/2011, 4:25 pm

I have been meaning to get the Seed to Seed book for some time now but along the way I found another great resource - The Urban Homestead by kelly coyne and erik knutzen - if you have any intrest in doing things yourself (which I know you all are) you will find this book another invaluable resource along with mel's SFG book....
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Male Posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Gardening books Empty Previous thread

Post  camprn 3/23/2011, 4:36 pm

camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/23/2011, 6:33 pm

middlemamma wrote:I cannot even imagine a baby having that...or the screams....I have to admit I don't know if I would a have been brave enough to help the kid...oye vay, how terrible is THAT! Embarassed I don't think I would have been able to hear anyone else's screams over my own!

Jen

I think my older sister is the one that got to her first - I know it wasn't me! (I can claim youthful freakishness - I was only 13) None of our family has ever been a squeamish type, but these things.....

affraid Gardening books 217255 affraid Gardening books 217255 affraid Gardening books 217255 affraid Gardening books 217255 affraid

PS - happened at 13?! Scarred for life!!!!!

Last edited by Goosegirl on 3/23/2011, 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added post-script)
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.Bigfoot 3/23/2011, 10:05 pm

oooh! Nice list of books! Thanks for the link! I think my husband might not be thanking you but it's not like I make him read the books too...
Dr.Bigfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 3/24/2011, 6:28 am

Goosegirl wrote:
FarmerValerie wrote:
ander217 wrote:

Gardening books 889526 Gardening books 889526 Gardening books 889526 Gardening books 889526 Gardening books 889526

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! When I moved to SD from CA I showed a picture of a potato bug to my gardener friends out here and they screamed - it is not what SD gardeners call a potato bug! I don't know what the 'official' size of these things is supposed to be, but I know I have seen them 3" long.

TC

[url=http://www.potatobugs.com/
http://www.potatobugs.com/[/quote[/url]]

Amen, +1
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/24/2011, 12:59 pm

So what are the other gardening books you are reading these days? :?:
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.Bigfoot 3/24/2011, 9:57 pm

well, I ended up just skimming through the last book and I think I'm done reading books for now. Tending to my sprouts. Still waiting for more of the spinach and chard but got a few onion sprouts and cauliflower sprouts!
Dr.Bigfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/25/2011, 6:47 am

camprn wrote:So what are the other gardening books you are reading these days? :?:

Rodale's Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening. My mom bought it for me last time I was visiting her in CA. It is a great resource for info on all gardening questions/subjects.

TC

Last edited by Goosegirl on 3/25/2011, 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad spelling before 6am)
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/25/2011, 8:53 am

Goosegirl wrote:
camprn wrote:So what are the other gardening books you are reading these days? :?:

Rodale's Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening. My mom bought it for me last time I was visiting her in CA. It is a great resource for info on all gardening questions/subjects.

TC

That's on my wish list, I've checked it out several times from the Library.
I also just got done with
Thomas Jefferson's Garden Journal
Last year I read
Tomatoes Love Carrots and a couple of Compainion Planting books the library had, and Neil Sperry's Guide to Texas Gardening (or something like that), VERY good book for Texas gardeners, no matter which part you are from.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/29/2011, 2:56 pm

I just got Neil Sperry's Complete Guide to Texas Gardening from my library again, needed some more TX specific gardening info.

I also got "Starting From Seed", and "Bugs Slugs & Other Thugs, Controlling Garden Pests Organically". Needed to read up on my seed starting,so I could add what might have gone wrong with a few of them now, so I don't forget and do it again next year. And the bugs are out, so I'm looking to kill 'em anyway I can.

I also got "The Joy of Keeping A Root Cellar, Canning, Freezing, Drying, Smoking, and Preserving the Harvest" for more ideas. Oh how I want a root cellar, kids hate those things, they mean bugs and work (bringing up groceries) I could hide all day in one of those things.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum