Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
BAD DOG! - Page 2 Toplef10BAD DOG! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

BAD DOG! - Page 2 I22gcj10BAD DOG! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
BAD DOG! - Page 2 Toplef10BAD DOG! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

BAD DOG! - Page 2 I22gcj10BAD DOG! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

BAD DOG!

+18
Glendale-gardener
Furbalsmom
Lindacol
Jay Bird
Lavender Debs
The Cynergist
CindiLou
bullfrogbabe
FarmerValerie
Goosegirl
AndreaHall
middlemamma
BackyardBirdGardner
florenceq
ModernDayBetty
LaFee
Aub
sfg4uKim
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

BAD DOG! - Page 2 Empty Re: BAD DOG!

Post  FarmerValerie 3/22/2011, 1:26 pm

My daughter came running in the house a few weeks ago, laughing so hard she was crying. She told me I needed to come outside right now, the dogs were sitting under the wires that run electricity to our house watching the squirrels play and run across it. I hated to tell her, but I did, they were waiting on the squirells to fall, so they could eat them, as they have done in the past.....
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

BAD DOG! - Page 2 Empty Home Cooked Squirrel

Post  The Cynergist 3/22/2011, 1:32 pm

Yeah food always tastes better when someone else does the cooking, eh? LOL
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Female Posts : 141

http://adf.ly/115253/gardenblog

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cynergist 3/22/2011, 3:12 pm

AndreaHall wrote:I was having a problem with my cats in the garden, and tried a bunch of different things before buying a motion-activated sprinkler
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000071NUS

Your scarecrow story was hilarious, and I'm happy to report I saw no evidence of throbbing veins.
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Back to top Go down

Post  AndreaHall 3/22/2011, 4:58 pm

The Cynergist wrote:

Your scarecrow story was hilarious, and I'm happy to report I saw no evidence of throbbing veins.

I'm just glad it works so well! Although once again, this morning, I got hosed. It's starting to get embarrassing...
AndreaHall
AndreaHall

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/22/2011, 7:38 pm

Annie is my bad dog. This afternoon I put 2 trays of seedlings out in the sun for a while. They were at least a foot behind a fence of the hog panels with the close spacing on the bottom but somehow she managed to reach through and pull one tray over and unpotted most of the seedlings. I hope most will survive but now I really don't know which tomatoes are which because all the labels were pulled.

The dogs are fenced out of the garden with hog panels but might have to top that with a hot wire. Before the fence went up Annie stole the rebar! 3 ft long pieces of rebar were hundreds of feet away from the garden.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 3/22/2011, 7:59 pm

Oh no! Lindacol that is terrible!!! I hope they can be saved! Dang dang dang!

It's hard when you love your doggie and your garden and the two don't really mix!

CindiLou wrote:Here it is illegal to shoot an animal even with a slingshot and crab apples (that is if you get caught!) There is a strict leash law on dogs. The police will come pick them up right away if you call.

How wonderful that would be if someone came to pick them up when called! I imagine if I lived in town that might be the case...but out here in the farm district no such luck, animal control didn't even care about the coyotes running the neighborhood at night let alone the neighbors dog. I guess if I live out here in the boondocks I better be prepared to defend my garden from whichever critter might strike. LOL. Smile
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/22/2011, 8:08 pm

Our animal control consists of one officer for the whole county. We also have a leash law, but unless you are being attacked, the chances of a fast response aren't good. The officer will respond and contact the owners if possible, just not right then.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

BAD DOG! - Page 2 Empty Bad Dog

Post  The Cynergist 3/22/2011, 8:39 pm

AndreaHall wrote:
I'm just glad it works so well! Although once again, this morning, I got hosed. It's starting to get embarrassing...

BAD DOG! - Page 2 889526 I'll bet it is. I guess it's just about as embarrassing as me chasing Kiti around the yard so I can throttle her. That' all I'd need is to add a good hosing to the mix.
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Back to top Go down

BAD DOG! - Page 2 Empty Bad Dog

Post  The Cynergist 3/22/2011, 8:43 pm

Jeepers Linda, Annie seems like a very determined dog
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 3/22/2011, 8:51 pm

These dtories are a riot, it's like re-reading Marley and Me!

I have 2 Italian Greyhounds and my boxes just went in over the weekend. The 5 year old seems to only be interested when I'm down there working because I haven't found any paw prints yet except the ones I see him make. My older one (7) just keeps walking on up there and laying down in them! She always finds the "comfy" spots in the yard (piles of leaves, mulch, a particularly fluffy area of "weird" grass. Anywhere soft! Hopefully it won't be too much of a problem soon. So far, I only have asparagus, carrots, spinach and peas planted in the beds. Once the seedlings get transplanted out there, I plan to put up bird netting over hoops because we have a lot of bunnies hopping around here. I never see them but I find little "gifts" all over the place when I'm deturding the yard. I wouldn't have a problem shooting squirrels with a pellet but I don't know if I could get a sweet little bunny!

My uncle actually electro shocks his squirrels! His house is up against woods so he has a ton of birdfeeders. When nothing else worked, he rigged the feeders off his deck. If a bird lands on it, it can eat just fine without getting shocked but if a squirrel stands on the metal plate next to the feeder and grounds himself, as soon as he touches the feeder, ZAP! It isn't enough to hurt them too badly, some of them even tried again a few days later, but most learn right away to stay away from "that guy's house"
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 3/22/2011, 9:07 pm

middlemamma wrote:Oh no! Lindacol that is terrible!!! I hope they can be saved! Dang dang dang!

It's hard when you love your doggie and your garden and the two don't really mix!

CindiLou wrote:Here it is illegal to shoot an animal even with a slingshot and crab apples (that is if you get caught!) There is a strict leash law on dogs. The police will come pick them up right away if you call.

How wonderful that would be if someone came to pick them up when called! I imagine if I lived in town that might be the case...but out here in the farm district no such luck, animal control didn't even care about the coyotes running the neighborhood at night let alone the neighbors dog. I guess if I live out here in the boondocks I better be prepared to defend my garden from whichever critter might strike. LOL. Smile

Well we are a little town of about 4000 and we had dog packs running! People got fed up and went to the city council meeting and actually told them "do it or we start shooting"....yup it was getting bad! Now if the police don't show up they get a visit rofl....It is like, we pay your salary, do your job. Of course it helps when the whole force is local! After all the town is only 2 mile wide BAD DOG! - Page 2 889526
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe 3/25/2011, 5:36 pm

I forgot to mention which veggies Bronx, our Boston Terrier likes to eat.....his favourites are the green onions. I have to watch where he is very carefully when I pick them..... as he will clamp on and try to eat them as fast as I pull them out the soil.

If I dangle a bunch from my hand as I walk across the yard towards the house, he has pulled the bunch right out of my hands on several occassions. I know they are supposed to be bad for dogs, but he really likes them and I can't seem to convince him otherwise!

Not sure if this matter much, but the green onions are also in the front row of the SFG box.......maybe they are sweeter when they get pee'd on?

I have also given him lettuce after it has bolted, the radishes tops, and the stems of the broccoli...he is my doggie composter, as the leftovers would never make it to an actual compost heep if I had one. If I don't give him something to distract him while collecting harvest from the garden, we would not get much!
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cynergist 3/25/2011, 9:05 pm

bullfrogbabe wrote:If I don't give him something to distract him while collecting harvest from the garden, we would not get much!

Kiti, our sheagle, didn't leave much for us last year. We had a make shift fence up, but she found a way in everyday. I'd just happen to look out the kitchen window, and there she'd be lazing on the grass munching on a cucumber or a pepper or something. This year we're putting up a wire fence. I was steady trying to get my hands around her throat last year. LOL

xoxo
Cyne
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 3/28/2011, 6:07 pm

bullfrogbabe wrote:I forgot to mention which veggies Bronx, our Boston Terrier likes to eat.....his favourites are the green onions. I have to watch where he is very carefully when I pick them..... as he will clamp on and try to eat them as fast as I pull them out the soil.

I know they are supposed to be bad for dogs, but he really likes them and I can't seem to convince him otherwise!

Onions can be very bad for dogs. If he eats enough, it can cause a problem called "Heinz body anemia". The compounds in the onions (or garlic or any plant in the allium family) can cause the hemoglobin protein (the protein inside the red blood cell that is responsible for carrying oxygen) to coagulate (clump - like eggs do when they're cooked).

This keeps the hemoglobin and therefore the red blood cells, from carrying oxygen properly and if it's bad enough, it will distort the red blood cell and trigger the body to destroy the abnormal cells. This is when it causes anemia because there are no longer enough red blood cells around. It's made worse because the red blood cells that are still there don't carry the same amount of oxygen as normal, either. The cells also become more fragile when they're distorted and can break just from the normal flexing that happens as they try to fit through tiny capillaries or are pushed forcefully as they go through the heart.

So, it's not been proven exactly how much onion/garlic/chives, etc, that it takes to cause Heinz body anemia, partly because not all onions are created equal and will have different amounts of the causitive compounds depending on how they're grown. But, it certainly does happen to many dogs (even worse in cats), sometimes at fairly low levels of consumption. Your dog doesn't seem to be hypersensitive, but it could happen at any time and tends to have a cumulative effect.

Please, BFB, be very careful with your dog and maybe toughen up your fence? Or do whatever it takes to keep the onions and such away from him.
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe 3/28/2011, 7:48 pm

No worries Odd Duck! My gardens are not self serve as all my SFGs are enclosed by deer fencing to prevent the deer, other wildlife, and the dog out. Bronx, our dog can only get his mouth on onions if he steals them from me while I am picking them or carrying them to the house. As a general practice I do not let him have them if I can help it! But he keeps on trying, making for an interesting bad dog tale.
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Post  zomo 3/17/2012, 10:24 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:
ksroman wrote:I was working in the yard and looked in the greenhouse to find my Beagle, Sophie, standing in my planting box with my lettuce in it.

BAD DOG!

Kim

P.S. I did NOT kill her, nor did I beat her.

I told my boxer what my gramma used to tell my beagle......."I'm gonna cut your tail off.....right behind your ears!"
I have two boxers and one Boston Terror so I am going to be having big time fun keeping them out. I have to find a solution.
zomo
zomo

Female Posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/18/2012, 2:57 am

I have a two word solution that I am sure Boffer will agree with TABLE TOP LOL
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/18/2012, 8:18 am

+1 When the rabbits Cool cut through my yard, I just laugh at em. Can't get to my veggies.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  zomo 3/18/2012, 1:36 pm

shannon1 wrote:I have a two word solution that I am sure Boffer will agree with TABLE TOP LOL
unfortunately a boxer can jump very high I am thinking of putting up netting just to keep them from taking a running jump. A table top would not be high enough. They didn't go into my garden much last year except for when they did they caused a lot of damage ewwwwwwwwwwwww !
zomo
zomo

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 3/20/2012, 2:34 am

zomo wrote:
shannon1 wrote:I have a two word solution that I am sure Boffer will agree with TABLE TOP LOL
unfortunately a boxer can jump very high I am thinking of putting up netting just to keep them from taking a running jump. A table top would not be high enough. They didn't go into my garden much last year except for when they did they caused a lot of damage ewwwwwwwwwwwww !
Silly me I was thinking if the garden was up off the ground they would not be that interestedBAD DOG! - Page 2 926169
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  zomo 3/20/2012, 5:04 pm

shannon1 wrote:
zomo wrote:
Silly me I was thinking if the garden was up off the ground they would not be that interestedBAD DOG! - Page 2 926169
LOL if only that were true.
zomo
zomo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum