Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 Toplef10POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I22gcj10POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 Toplef10POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I22gcj10POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum?

+59
jgoose
jimmy cee
walshevak
joshpeckney
cricket
brainchasm
PVPind
johnp
AtlantaMarie
Mikesgardn
YViolet
Judy McConnell
audrey.jeanne.roberts
llama momma
dstack
sanderson
km87508
hruten
nycquilter
Pepper
Turan
GWN
CindiLou
camprn
LittleGardener
CapeCoddess
floyd1440
songstriss
Kelejan
yolos
wncsohn
EatYourVeggies
plantoid
Squat_Johnson
littlejo
newstart
januaryX
tomperrin
landarch
Fireopal36
Miss M
nancy
Kabaju42
windrider1967
sfg4uKim
jumiclads
bullfrogbabe
Blackrose
southland2
TheVeggieO's
BackyardBirdGardner
CarolynPhillips
elliephant
happycamper
middlemamma
Goosegirl
LaFee
kimbertangleknot
Furbalsmom
63 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How did you find the SFG Forum

POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap1%POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap1%POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 1% 
[ 2 ]
POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap21%POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 21% 
[ 37 ]
POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap26%POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 26% 
[ 46 ]
[ 1 ]
POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap22%POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 22% 
[ 39 ]
POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap8%POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 8% 
[ 14 ]
POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap9%POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 16 ]
POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap11%POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 11% 
[ 21 ]

Total Votes : 177

POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 Empty Re: POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum?

Post  littlejo 1/31/2012, 2:58 pm

I got the book and decided this was the way to go. I was looking for vermiculite to buy, and the internet brought me here! 1st yr was very good and am looking forward to many yrs. to come.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 Empty Re: POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum?

Post  Squat_Johnson 1/31/2012, 3:18 pm

I was googlin for vermiculite sources after reading the ANSFG book.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/31/2012, 3:19 pm

Found the old SFg when visiting my mother in law in Canada in 1996, Eric her hubby had been doing it for years after seeing some TV show ..

I could see that SF planting & one out one in was the way to go , he had the old hard cover book I read it avidly several times when there and began to practice. Even buying my own old edition of SFG .

I found this site after doing a search to see if there was a printable spacing schedule ... little knowing that there had been a paradigm shift in changing from the old way to the new way .

Planting /spacings sorted found it in this site .. I've made a set of three masks for a squarefoot .

Now I'm well established in the change over from old to new way.

P.S.
Yes ...I now have & constantly read the latest 2006 edition book for the " All New Square foot Gardening "
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/31/2012, 4:38 pm

windrider1967 wrote:I had a friend give me the old "Cash from SFG" book - cause she HATED Mel - don't ask why, don't know. I did some google searches, came accross the official site and found the forums from there

Isn't it peculiar how people are. I've known about SFGing since 2005 and while I remain excited about it, always willing to share the concept with others, it seems those who have heard of it either feel the same as me or have nothing nice to say. There just doesn't seem to be an in between with anyone, its either a love or hate relationship.
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Male Posts : 155

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/31/2012, 4:51 pm

People who hate things usually have had a bad experience with them , though they never think that when pointing a finger of blame to look at their hand and notice that the other fingres are pointing back at them & the thumb is off at a tangent .
Had they read the book , taken in & applied what was said I've no doubt they would still be using SFG techniques and have a better life becaue of it .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/31/2012, 4:57 pm

plantoid wrote:People who hate things usually have had a bad experience with them , though they never think that when pointing a finger of blame to look at their hand and notice that the other fingres are pointing back at them & the thumb is off at a tangent .
Had they read the book , taken in & applied what was said I've no doubt they would still be using SFG techniques and have a better life becaue of it .
I agree...Cheers!
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Male Posts : 155

Back to top Go down

Post  wncsohn 1/31/2012, 7:40 pm

I've had the book for a couple of years, but never really did anything other than read and dream, lol. One day about 6 months ago I decided to see what I could find on-line and ran across the foundation website which lead me to here! Glad I found you guys! I still haven't "done" anything and I'm still dreaming but I'm hoping this spring will be the time I get to start! Very Happy
wncsohn
wncsohn

Female Posts : 98

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/31/2012, 7:44 pm

I got tired of gardening in red georgia clay. I googled raised beds and eventually ended up in this forum.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/1/2012, 3:05 pm

wncsohn

I still haven't "done" anything and I'm still dreaming but I'm hoping this spring will be the time I get to start! Very Happy

Get to WORK!! Smile

Seriously, I hope you are able to build your beds and fill them with Mel's Mix. Once that is done, the rest is really easy (except, of course, deciding what you will grow)
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/1/2012, 3:27 pm

My husband bought the 1981 edition for 50p at a garage sale. I skimmed through the book, meaning to do something about it some day.

Finally, after about twenty years, I decided to start the next day, digging up the lawn. That evening I decided to browse the Internet to see if there was a website. There I found that things had changed. I DID NOT HAVE TO DIG UP THE LAWN.

From there, about a year later I decided to have a look at the guest book. Now the guest book is an important part of my life. Smile
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  januaryX 2/1/2012, 5:48 pm

I find this choice confusing:

"Read about the forum in the ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING book"

I can't find anything in the book although it's very possible I overlooked it. Secondly, was there a forum when the book was written? I don't know Sad
januaryX
januaryX

Back to top Go down

Post  wncsohn 2/1/2012, 10:36 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:wncsohn

I still haven't "done" anything and I'm still dreaming but I'm hoping this spring will be the time I get to start! Very Happy

Get to WORK!! Smile

Seriously, I hope you are able to build your beds and fill them with Mel's Mix. Once that is done, the rest is really easy (except, of course, deciding what you will grow)

ROFL!! If it were only that easy!! You see, DH and I are truck drivers who don't get home often, although we did get our truck, land, house and car paid for in 2011 and plan on being home more often.

I "experimented" (not SFG, just raised bed) a bit a couple of years, but the bugs a couple years ago devestated my garden bed so I didn't even bother last year.

The difference now is ... my two youngest DS's have "moved home" so to speak. Been trying to get them home for a while now. After all, when DH & I meet our maker this little homestead we're trying to get started will be theirs! Figure if I get them involved now during the "creation" process .... Wink
wncsohn
wncsohn

Female Posts : 98

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/1/2012, 10:42 pm

januaryX

on page 266 of ANSFG, Mel asks people to visit the official website. The official website was in effect at the time the ANSFG book was written. There is currently a link from the official website to the forum.

This particular forum was opened to general members on March 1, 2010, but there was a prior forum, established in 2009.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  songstriss 7/23/2012, 12:28 pm

I was looking for a solution to a problem I was having in my regular garden. My Google search brought me to the site. I since have become so interested that I bought the book and have just planted my first SFG. I am looking forward to great results and many years of new gardening techniques. rahrah
songstriss
songstriss

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 7/23/2012, 8:34 pm

songstriss wrote:I was looking for a solution to a problem I was having in my regular garden. My Google search brought me to the site. I since have become so interested that I bought the book and have just planted my first SFG. I am looking forward to great results and many years of new gardening techniques. rahrah

I also read the book in the 1980's and then saw it in a Barnes and Noble last winter and purchased it. Cannot remeber if I got the connection from the new book of just Binged it.

But it is a great compliment to Mel's new book. POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/23/2012, 8:45 pm

Mel told me to come here to ask the 'experts' a question that I had asked him. Funny, I can't even remember what that question was now...
thinking
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/23/2012, 9:20 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:
on page 266 of ANSFG, Mel asks people to visit the official website.
The official website was in effect at the time the ANSFG book was written.
There is currently a link from the official website to the forum.

This particular forum was opened to general members on March 1, 2010, but there was a prior forum, established in 2009.
okay, wondered how long the core-group here had been together. - I found this forum, while researching Greenhouse glazing, & certain perennials. There somewhere saw SFG mentioned; and with my usual short Attention-span went "ooh, another butterfly, let's see where it goes" Very Happy
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/23/2012, 9:22 pm

LittleGardener wrote:
Furbalsmom wrote:
on page 266 of ANSFG, Mel asks people to visit the official website.
The official website was in effect at the time the ANSFG book was written.
There is currently a link from the official website to the forum.

okay, wondered how long the core-group here had been together. - I found this forum, while researching Greenhouse glazing, & certain perennials. There somewhere saw SFG mentioned; and with my usual short Attention-span went "ooh, another butterfly, let's see where it goes" Very Happy
LOLOL, I too am so afflicted. Isn't it fun! Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

POLL: How did you find the SFG Forum? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/23/2012, 9:30 pm

camprn wrote:
LOLOL, I too am so afflicted. Isn't it fun! Wink
Well, context-dependent, a 'short-Attention' span can get us into trouble Shocked real fast; but on the whole it is very fun cheers yes it is! Glad you are loving it too.
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 7/23/2012, 9:32 pm

I started with the old book but use it in a raised bed! Just one bed. Not the soil method the planting method rofl
Later that summer (8/2010) I went online to research and found this forum! I found out about the new book and my garden started growing the following year! First one more , then another two..and more and more...
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/23/2012, 11:30 pm

I was looking for how to grow Artichokes in a northern climate. Smile
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/23/2012, 11:52 pm

The old book does not have how many okra to a square so I googled for it and landed here.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 7/24/2012, 12:22 am

stumbled on; the best I can remember. I was looking at a lot of stuff about SHTF(Sh-t Hits The Fan) saw 'raised bed gardens' then stumbled here. Bought the book after starting composting attempts, and starting the tater tires.
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter 7/24/2012, 7:00 am

I belonged to a craft and gardening book club in the early 80's and bought the first book before I even had land (I live in midtown Manhattan). Then, I acquired a tiny piece of land and tried the SFG and loved it. Lost the land (life changes) and kept the idea on a back burner. Fast forward to 8 years ago, I saw--and bought--the new book, and now owned acreage. My husband doubted my knowledge and the first year, insisted on tilling. We hit a boulder--took 1-1/2 hours of digging to convince him that it was hopeless. Next summer, he "allowed" me to try SFG and I built beds. Success! (as I knew it would be). In the following 6 years, the garden continues to improve.
nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Post  hruten 7/24/2012, 9:51 am

Amazon.com
I was looking for some container gardening books/equipment and I kept noticing that mel's book kept coming up as a suggestion. The books was very highly rated and had TONS of reviews. I read a selection of reviews and it made sense. I ordered the book and read it. Thought it was so good that I gave that copy to my sister-in-law and purchased another copy.
This is my first year sfg garden, and I am so pleased with the results. I've often found that it pays to read reviews on amazon whether you buy things there or other places. You never know what gems you will find.
hruten
hruten

Female Posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next