Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 Toplef10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 I22gcj10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 Toplef10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 I22gcj10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Toy Box (the return)

+31
Icemaiden
Mamachibi
Goosegirl
happycamper
Blackrose
sherryeo
quiltbea
FamilyGardening
stripesmom
nancy
Ha-v-v
donnainzone5
shannon1
dixie
walshevak
dizzygardener
windrider1967
elliephant
middlemamma
ander217
boffer
bettyd_z7_va
janine
Megan
jumiclads
BackyardBirdGardner
FarmerValerie
Aub
miinva
Furbalsmom
Lavender Debs
35 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 Empty Re: The Toy Box (the return)

Post  Furbalsmom 3/20/2011, 4:29 am

Marvelous Birthday Gift. Enjoy it!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/20/2011, 6:07 am

Happy (belated) Birthday, Debs! What beautiful boxes! Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 Empty GotchYa

Post  Lavender Debs 3/25/2011, 1:40 pm

I woke up Sunday morning and to my amazement it was spring. After two months of REALLY wet days and nights, of ground that squished like the edge of a swamp and the heartbreak of rotting peas, I was ready. The golden wash that illumined my kitchen gave me pause at sunrise. Everything is brighter when caressed by light. Not just illumined, but the mood is changed. I do not know how to explain it.

This morning (Friday, March 25) the rain is back. I'm trying to stay optimistic.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_80
Gotchya! For nearly two weeks now, one of my Fava Beans has been trying to grow. In the morning I would see evidence of a green sprout. By the next morning it was nowhere to be seen. Sun is not good slug weather. I'm sure they must make good pets for vampires (there are scads of them in Forks). All the Fava's in this square came to the surface when there was sun. I got out fairly early this morning while the rain was still fresh and there he was, that pudgy plant-pire! All fat from Fava greens. I didn't even waste any beer on him, I just picked him up and plunked him into a tray of water far from the Favas.

Just a little note to self....Lydia is already buying Fava beans and calls them spring food. She has a whole feature on them in today's blog post. For next year I have got to get Fava's into the garden to over winter with garlic for scapes and sprouting broccoli. There has to be more to spring food than nettles.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_81
It sure was easy to get used to the spring. Got all those onions (Sweet Red Tropeana Lunga and small yellow Cipollinis) and leeks (Lancelot, related to King Richard) planted. In a moment of optimism I put one broccoli plant (Umpqua) into a square (under the cloche) because it has one tiny little true leaf. In the background inside the black and brown pots are three kinds of potatoes (yellow "Satina", Red "Carmine" and yellow "Peanut Fingerlings"). There is a fourth kind of potato (Rosy Fingerling) growing by the white fence in a tower that Chris made last year. As of today they still look like buckets of dirt.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_82
Lots of little babies in the green "closet" that Chris bought. DANG, just now I noticed that I left my little baby peppers out there, they have to come in to the somewhat warm house to sprout. Today is pay-day and I'm gonna get me to Lowe's for a proper tray or two to use with the new Bea-boxer (that thing that makes dirt squares to start seeds in) rather than the mish-mash of Costco fruit and salad containers that are in here now. Wonder if Ray can afford a heating pad? If he can, I wonder how he will feel when he finds out that it is for starting seeds and not for his aching muscles after all the soil mixing he did on his days off.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_83
The Czech Black really came through for me last year. (You can see pictures of it in the original Toy Box thread). A very pretty plant with gem like jalapeno shaped fruit. Each plant was simply loaded with peppers in a year that was not so good for tomatoes because of the cold. I'm hooked. Heat makes heat so they were not burning hot by any stretch of the imagination BUT they had terrific flavor in chili and salsa. Just this spring I read that they turn red when fully ripe. The Jimmy Nardellos are a sweet pepper I am trying this year. Last year I tried mini bells for a sweet pepper and the old reliable Gypsy with no joy. But like I said, last year was so cold the only tomatoes that came ripe in abundance were Siltz.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_84
Todays job is to finish up potting the tomatoes. I am so happy that I do not have to make anymore paper pots. There are 4 of the big winner from last year (Siltz) as well as a Persimmon that did ok. I am giving her another small chance to earn a place in the garden. She is a late season girl. The Persimmons kept trying to ripen up but it was just too cold in 2010. The few that came ripe without bugs in the stem end were excellent. They were also fussy. I also started two more Black Plum Paste. Black Plum is a short season plum that was easy to ignore and produced a ton of green tomatoes. We did not have enough sun and heat for even a short season tomato last year. In the hope that we get at least a few more sunny days I have two plants going (scaled down from last year). In place of the rest of the Black Plums I have Beaverlodge Plums. These determinant plums are advertised to be about 10 days earlier than the Black Plums. They are also supposed to "creep" rather than grow upright so I am hoping that if I put them in pots on the deck they can grow down the pot and the side of the deck which is just under 3 feet above the ground. Besides Siltz and Persimmon I am trying "Legend", "Momotaro (F1)", "Manitoba" and "Silvery Fir Tree" that promises to make salad size fruit when grown in a hanging basket. There are a rainbow of cherries comming from TSC in early May.

Deborah....who just noticed the sun lighting up the gray sky.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_85 Twin storms for the weekend. I am being warned that there will be three-quarters of an inch of rain every 12 hours starting tonight. Probably should put the rain bonnets back on the boxes. 52/41 and the pressure is dropping as the first of the twins moves in from California. The good news is that the sun is up before 7 AM and stays until 7:30 PM (even if it has to shine through the drops) Wish the boys had mowed the lawn.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/25/2011, 1:53 pm

I started making paper pots this year when I read you did, but the other day I found peat pots (3")-22 of them for just under $2, that worked out to a nickle each. Needless to say, I'm not making paper pots right now, but had fun doing it, knowing you were doing it too!!
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/25/2011, 8:45 pm

Debs, your posts always inspire me and warm my heart. Thank you so much for the update! I love you
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 Empty Tomatoes all up-potted

Post  Lavender Debs 3/28/2011, 4:45 pm

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_86
Done! For about $2 each Ray bought plastic trays to hold the pots. I think I can finally put my old Tupperware away. I had a bit of trouble with the Persimmon (Indeterminate, Heirloom--80 days) seed hulls not wanting to come off of the leaves. I only have one Persimmon plant (how many does a girl need?) out of 4 because of that. I thought that maybe it was a problem for 2010 seed that I kept from last year but some of my fresh seed did the same thing (Momotaro: F1 Indeterminate 70 days and Beaverlodge Plum: OP Determinant, 55 days). No problem seed hulls for 2010's Black Plum Paste (OP Indeterminate, 65 days) or Siltz (OP Determinant, 70-75 days) I also have Legend (OP Determinant, 68 days), and Manitoba (OP Determinant, 66 days). In about a month a rainbow of cherry tomatoes should be sitting on my porch.

Holy Moly, I just now counted. That is 18 Tomato Plants. All that garden space for an iffy harvest. What on earth is the matter with me?

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_87
It was still to wet to get the grass mowed BUT that doesn't mean we didn't get out while it was not raining to do a little bit of garden engenering. Ray and I finished mixing MM for box 6. Ray put a trellis up for the Indeterminate tomatoes. We are warm weather ready!

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_89
I know that I am stepping outside of SFG with this, but I'm hoping it is OK here because it is filled with MM. This nifty set up is for raspberries. There is a base of plywood screwed to the 2x2. The lower and upper cross bars have vinyl covered wire going through them. Each cross piece has a wire that goes to a hole drilled into the plastic pot. I will be planting Raspberries in here. Not my first choice for how to plant Raspberries but my husband’s company is up for sale. Who knows if there will be a buyer or if the plant will stay open or shut down. If we end up homeless, so will the raspberries. It really is not as depressing as I make it sound. This is not Japan where they have honest tragedy to contend with. Truth be told, I have seriously yucky soil. Most of the raspberries I started last year are not coming back. They may have drowned. I suspect the same with the asparagus. This set up should give us a few fresh berries for our cereal bowl.

Deborah....happily replanting peas. Not sure if I'm hoping for a chilly summer for the peas or a hot one for the tomatoes.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_90 Somewhere in the PNW there is blue sky (Really! This was my view after lunch). Sun and showers have been foretold (I have seen neither today). The south wind is making sure I notice her. The good news is that the barometer is going up. The less then good news is that another rainy storm is coming in from California with additional 2 and 1/3 inches of more wet. 56/41
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 Empty Tent City

Post  Lavender Debs 3/29/2011, 6:43 pm

It felt like we were out camping but instead of blue tarps we were putting up sheets of semi-clear plastic.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_91
Those trellises that Ray made are good for more than tomatoes and peas!

I was reading through the original Toy Box wondering if we had a dryer spring last year and if that was why my peas were in better shape this time last year. Nope... again and again I wrote about record rainfall. But I did have one head slapping moment. Last year I kept everything covered. There were hinges on the boxes that made the framework for the plastic-chick wire to go on and off easily. That was before we put up any kind of trellis. I had a head-slapping moment. Protect the babies from drowning and rotting in the rain! Ray and I ran out to drape and staple. We set the potato pots and comfrey in the aisle between the big boxes. We also covered the rest of box 4 and most of box 1 (which now has a frame for pea and bean trellis. Everything is snug for the rain that is coming. Yesterday it was going to be 2 and 1/3 inches between Monday (3/28) and Thursday. Today the warning is for about 4.2 inches between today (Tuesday the 29th) and Friday. It started to sprinkle as we finished putting up the tents. As I keyboard this the rain is coming down in loud, fast and heavy. If the wind isn't stronger than the staples, we should be OK.

Oh! By the way. I made fish tacos with pea shoots from the closet. Yum! (Humm, the peas in the closet are doing great)

Deborah....who is remembering fondly the little boys who would have run out to play in the tent with their little cars while it rained.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_92 The day began noticeably gray after 3 mornings of breath-taking sunrises. The Barometer was slowly but distinctly falling. The prediction? AM showers turning into afternoon Rain. More of the same for the next 4 days. The scent of bread in the oven is brightening everyone’s mood!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 Empty The Asparagus didn't all drown!

Post  Lavender Debs 3/30/2011, 6:39 pm

So, I acted like a grown up for as long as I could stand it before putting on the yellow rain coat and a cap (the bill keeps the hood from covering my eyes). I told myself that I was just going out for no more than the shake of a puppy's tail as I stuffed a packet of pea seeds into my pocket. I grabbed a shovel on my way out because the dirt will drain better if I give it a little stir. So, no kidding, there I was, minding my own business....
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_93
Looks like the bow end of a purple asparagus....the very asparagus that just yesterday I was sure had drowned in all this rain. Whoo-hoo! In my utter excitement I accidently bragged to everyone who would listen that the asparagus didn't drown. Whoops.....they all LOVE asparagus. Now how do I disguise it?

Deborah...who knows why every garden girl in the PNW needs a ratty ol' pair of garden gloves. I used to use chopsticks to drop slugs into beer. Now I drink the beer (still need to chug a little courage) and fling the slugs over the fence to the wild ducks.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_94 Only 3/4 inch of rain in the gage but has it ever been coming down. We are still socked in. Oddly enough, the barometer has gone up just a bit. There is a good gust of south wind now and again in this, the first of the storm train (or is it the third or fourth? Maybe we just live in the station). 59/47....jacket hanging in front of the fire.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 Empty The South Wind is a Bully

Post  Lavender Debs 3/31/2011, 11:07 pm

There was not even a half of an inch of rain in the gage but the south wind was impressive. I have not heard the mph but it ripped through my garden. I spent my morning with the staple gun repairing plastic covers. Not a big deal. The heart break was the closet. in the time it took me to go ask my youngest to move it to a safe place (he was still dressed), the wind played its wicked game with it.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_95
This pile of dirt and seedlings set free is all that is left of the babies.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_96
Jake tried to put it back together in the dark. It isn't too bad, but it does look sad. The good thing is I took my tomatoes out of it last night. I thought about leaving them in all night because it never dropped below 50. Am I ever glad I brought them in!

Debs.....this was the first year that I ever grew parsley from seed and now it is a pile of dirt.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 March_97 Overcast. The wind had a lot of last hurrahs but otherwise it was a dull day. No more rain, the frogs are singing. 58/43
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 4/1/2011, 12:58 am

So sorry Debs. Dang!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/1/2011, 3:44 am

I'm really sorry about your parsley, but thank goodness you brought the tomatoes inside.
Were your artichokes still in pots in a nursery bed or have you planted them yet? I hope they didn't go splish, splash, splat too.

Remember they are only seeds (even though they feel like babies when they are just starting) Hope you have time to start some more parsley.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 Empty Add Sunshine

Post  Lavender Debs 4/9/2011, 2:16 pm

Sunshine in the PNW made the news. They say the last time we had a precipitation free day was in early February. I don't remember a day in February without rain.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_51
Sunlight on my baby tomatoes was the last picture I took yesterday. I had way too much to do and no time for the camera in my pocket.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_52
The plan was to buy all one kind of raspberry to put into this planter Ray made and have a selection of raspberries in the ground by the fruit trees. All the raspberries we planted in that spot last spring drowned so I put the new starts into the planter. There is one Red summer, one Red late summer and one Yellow fall Raspberry in the planter. Wild blackberries grow happily just beyond the fence so we are going to see if we cannot keep a Marianberry and a Logan berry growing where we planned to put raspberries.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_53
Under the big top: Cabbages, onions-leeks and different broccolis. That cloche Chris made makes early broccoli beautiful. Someone (on another thread) was fussing about their broccoli babies having purple leaves, concluding that it must be a soil deficiency. They did actually do a soil test and were low on something. In my case it was just to cold to green up. The broccoli under the cloche was a beautiful shade of green. I started looking for cloches for the rest of my broccoli. Chris is busy working on his tear-drop trailer and doesn't have time (two jobs) to make more. He did buy me a set of pink tools for my birthday; maybe I'll have to learn how to make them.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_54
Plant lice. Can you see it? I miss them all the time when they are this size. I did not have a problem with them last year but this year they are like some kind of pox.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_55
This is what my old eyes are looking for. I'm out at night with a flashlight while they are active, I'm up early in the morning when they are just going to bed, I check under the grids daily, under the paper mulch, everywhere that looks like a good place for a slug. And still they ate all my spinach, they munch on my radishes till there isn't much left and put holes in my favas and peas. Arrrrgh! I have noticed that the longer the days get the better chance the plants have to out grow the damage. Hope floats.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_56
Garbanzo Beans: the first of what I hope is many. Doesn't look like much yet.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_57
Thanks for the sweet comment about the plants I lost in the last wind storm FBmom. I was cleaning up the mess yesterday when I came across a few pathetic looking seedlings in a scattered mess. There were a few parsley sprouts and some Echinacea that I stuck into the herb garden. These are Echinacea (Purple Cone Flower). The parsley are too small for my camera. This garden and the lavender garden are mulched with cocoa hulls. The slugs seem to be repulsed by it (so far). I also found a pot of artichokes that still look alive. I plan to up pot them today (since I have some pots from the raspberries I planted yesterday). The artichoke I got for mother’s day last year shows signs of coming back. It also has plant lice that I am on the hunt for. I've already fed about 4 bigger slugs to the wild ducks over the hill. I found another fat one this morning. I'm going to feed her some chicken poo compost and organic vegetable fertilizer and see if she can out grow the damage.

Deborah.....watching the rain drizzle down...again.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_58 The lawn got mowed! Whoo-hoo! Unfortunately I killed my weed whacker last fall and had to hand trim my gardens. It took me two hours to work my way around the blueberries, I had no gumption left for the rest of them. They will wait. Today is overcast and there is only an 8% chance of rain (but it is already raining). 54/43
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/9/2011, 2:31 pm

Those seedling are pretty tough. At least they stayed moist thru their exile in the debris.

I did not put cloches on my broccoli, cabbage and broccoflower, and they seen to be doing ok, but they have only been out for one week. We also are a tiny bit warmer than you during the winter and early spring. Beautiful sunny yesterday but cool, never got over 50. Very cloudy today but no rain so far, keep your fingers crossed on my way to the Community Garden to garden with the kids.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 Empty It's Always Something

Post  Lavender Debs 4/15/2011, 11:23 pm

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_10
I have not joined the thread for carrots on April 15 but I stuck some into the ground anyway. Today was the last day of school before spring break and I have been at my desk the whole day. I needed to get out for just a bit. Everything has been graded, looked over and notes that needed to be written have been sent to parents. Planting carrots by the last light of day seemed like an excellent transition.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_11
Four freshly stirred and planted Carrot squares. I'm sure I'm going to have to put the big top back up, what are the odds that there will be two days without rain in a row? But for now I like seeing what is going on.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_12
The potatoes are peaking through! Yea. But some bird has plucked out my Canoe Peas and Garbanzo bean sprouts. Booo!
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_13
The purple Asparagus is growing! Yea!
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_14
But some vermin finds them tasty. Booo!
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_15
Most of the slugs are history. Yea! But there are still a few fugitives. Boo.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_16
Slugs like cheep beer. Yea
Party at Deb's place tonight if you need to drown your sorrows.

Deborah....worried about all those tomatoes while she goes to the ocean this week. I need a sitter! (booo)
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_17 Got all the way up to 50 today and no rain. Stayed 50 clear into the evening. The sun never did find her way through those thick silver clouds, but it was nice to not need a hat. 50/50 chance of rain tonight and tomorrow, kind of a toss of the dice, but lately the dice have been loaded.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/16/2011, 8:47 am

Deb,

Bless your heart. BIG hug

There is always something isn't there, but keep up the good fight. Your garden looks great despite the set backs.

If it's any consolation, my spinach is under attack as well. We will prevail.

All for one and one for all, right? reality check
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 Empty Snake Eyes!

Post  Lavender Debs 4/16/2011, 3:56 pm

The weekend weather, the same weather that was advertised as warmer with sun breaks, has settled in chilled and drizzly. The good news was that it was perfect weather for my sluggy beer bar. Lots of "guests" in attendance. Some of the rowdy gang members from the pincher bug boys and the Rolley Pulley poker players club dove in for a drink. There was a big ol snail too. This weather is actually perfect for the fashionably late who were scooped up and disposed of. There is plenty of beer for tonight. Drunk birds pulled up more peas from different gardens.

One of my Eggplant sprouts sprouted. What? Did she say eggplant? Yes I did! I'm not so good with Eggplant. Usually I just pick mine up from the Farmers Market if a seller comes from Eastern Washington where they actually can grow nice eggplant. I generally trust Uprising Seed, this is the description of their Diamond Eggplant....

Amazing! Did you know that eggplants WEREN"T just flowering ornamentals here in the PNW but that they might actually produce fruit too...even outside of a greenhouse. And not just a lonely token fruit to insult all your hard work. Lots of eggplant. Beautiful, slender 4-8" long, buttery and NOT at all bitter eggplant. Summer 2010 was cold. And wet. And then cold. Yet we were awash. From our field. Even if you think you despise eggplant grow these and give them to your friends and neighbors. They will be in awe of your mad skills in the garden. Seeds collected from the Ukraine in 1993 by Ken Whealy, co-founder of the Seed Savers Exchange. The most prolific OP variety we've grown for cool climate production.
70-80 days.

Who wouldn't be seduced by this one? I'll be getting back to give you reports on this one.

My kitchen counter is looking messy because of the soil blocks in ratty containers. Basil is worth a couple of weeks of ratty containers on the counter. In ratty container #1 is a row of Large Leaf Italian Basil. Container #2 has my favorite, standard basil, Sweet. Container #3 doesn't hold my favorite (Garden grown basil is rare enough in the PNW, that I still love Sweet) but it is the most interesting. It holds seed from a custom blend of Basil from "Botanical Interests. Sometimes I buy their seed just because the packet seduces me. This blend has a mix of Lemon Basil, Anise Basil, Cinnamon Basil, Red Rubin Basil, Dark Opal Basil, Thai Basil and Genovese Basil. I've heard of all of them but only tried Thai and Dark Opal. I'm going to have to look some of these up to see the differences.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_18
Purple Peacock Sprouts
If I can find another container (I think there is an extra tray under the one that holds the tomatoes) than I'll start some Fennel, Collards, dill, head lettuce more cilantro. We are going to the ocean (Long Beach) to hopefully score a few Razor Clams during spring break. I can't help but think of the Japanese radiation that is coming. It has not come across the ocean yet, even though it is raining down on the pastors that feed our milk cows it is not considered a danger.... yet. So while we are out trying to score one more season of chowder and fritters, and maybe a few mushrooms (though they are scarce in Long Beach). Maybe my soil blocks will sprout without me watching.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_19
This was from April 2010. The Peas were way ahead of what I have now, but otherwise, the garden was about the same. Somehow I was picturing full lettuce bowls at this time last year. Kewl. I'm not actually that far behind what I had then.

Deborah....wishing I could just stay home next week.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_20 Nearly 1:00 after noon and it is still only 45 degrees out. Still too cold for tomatoes to catch some light. Quiet and cold. If this was a rare event I might find the sparkly drops that cling to everything charming. Both the temperature and the barometer are going down. There is no wind. This could be here a while longer.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/17/2011, 10:57 am

Congratulations on trying eggplant. I am a masochist and trying 4 varieties. long purple, millionaire, big dragon and something else(out of town visiting family so don't have my plants in front of me to remember which ones)

The black czech peppers have sprouted. Thanks for the seeds. Hope my seedlings (trays and trays of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and artichokes as well as all my annual herbs) make it thru my vacation.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 Empty Everyone needed a post-vacation shower

Post  Lavender Debs 4/22/2011, 10:24 am

All my plants, my dog, my husband and me survived our ocean vacation. I am ready to give up on Everett after a week at Longbeach. Day time temps were in the mid 60's. When it would rain it did not last half an hour (rain is an all day drizzle event in Everett). It was trying to snow when we left on Monday. The boys tell me it snowed while we were gone but did not stick. Garden-shmardan, give me warm days, all kinds of birds to discover and the pedicure of a sandy beach.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_21

Now for my regularly scheduled reality.

The tomatoes were on the back porch looking happy. I'd say that a bit more than a third of them need a bigger pot to call home. Of the eggplant and basil that were started before going to Longbeach, 4 of the 5 soil blocks of eggplant have sprouted and many of the basil were showing signs of life when we returned. Even some of the soil blocks of lettuce that were set in trays outside are sprouting. Everything in the original tray of soil blocks has sprouted. When we left only the Purple Peacock (broccoli-kale cross) was growing. I came home to samples of all kinds of lettuce. Grandpa Admires, Speckled Trout (my favorite), Yellow Aussie, and a couple of deep reds that I forget the names of. There are two spinaches, standard Bloomsdale and a baby red. Red Russian kale, arugula, bok choi, and I forget what else. There was more lettuce in one of the trays that I started the day we left.

Slugs got most of the direct planted stuff I started this year. Beets seem to have survived, though I am down to only two yellow beets. The bulls blood and chiogga are looking nice. Birds plucked out most of the peas and garbanzo beans but the favas are going great guns! I have rosy fingerling potatoes sprouting all over their box.

Deborah....phewwww
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_22 Ok, there might have been a couple of chilly moments, but there was sun on my face. As of 7:15 AM it has warmed up to 40 degrees (it was 37 when I got up). The sun has penetrated a cloud layer that causes me to squint inside my house. However there is only a 10% chance of rain today (0% tomorrow, is that possible?) and a bold prediction of a high temp in the lower 60's. Break out of the multi layers of clothes but maybe not short sleeves just yet.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 Empty Farmer Tan and Peddle Pusher Burn

Post  Lavender Debs 4/23/2011, 11:14 pm

Just add sunshine...The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_23
Seckle Pear blossoms and box #4 in the background

Glorious! It is almost 7:30 PM and it is still above 60. Must be Passover! I know I'm not supposed to do any kind of work on a high holiday, but really, it didn't feel like work, it just felt good!
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_24
The closet is full of hot weather babies and cool weather 2nd chances. Ray could hardly believe it when more tomato plants came from TSC yesterday. He always indulges my every garden whim, but it was still uncomfortable for him to try and ask about more tomatoes and sound calm. I had actually forgot that I ordered them. The shelf below the tomatoes has three trays of soil blocks that hold all kinds of lettuces, kale, arugula, broccolis, collards, spinaches, cilantro, fennel, cabbage and I forget what else. The top shelf holds the ratty basil containers (they have all sprouted) my peppers and egg plant. The overflow crowd from the tomato area are also up there. By the way, most of the tomatoes that came yesterday were different colors of cherry tomatoes. (Ray rolled his eyes too.)
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_25
The Strawberry bio baskets are doing fine, but they are still nothing to brag about, yet here I am, bragging about them. I'm actually just happy they are alive, even if they are not an impressive size like the strawberry plants in the old wheelbarrow just below them. In the background are the potted blueberries, the Marion Berry / Logan Berry garden and the Purple Asparagus bed.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_26
The big surprise of the day? Jason came to me with a box on Passover and said, "Happy Easter". The box was making noise. I have four chicken nuggets! At least that is what Bomber (my JRT) thinks. I'm a chicken momma!

Debs ....praying for Shalom for this year for you and yours.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_27 Blue sky, mid 60's and the asparagus must have grown 2 inches. The lawn is getting mowed for the 2nd time! This is still the north wet, they are warning us to bring an umbrella if we do not have a rain resistant Easter Bonnet tomorrow. At least the night time temps are in the mid 40's. Next week? Rain and rain and rain. Today was a tease.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/24/2011, 12:58 am

Chickies I wish I could have some but the city wants a $300 fee for a variance to have just 3 hens The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 950477 .

Your plants look great. Can't wait for your next pics.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/24/2011, 9:20 am

shannon1 wrote:snip... the city wants a $300 fee for a variance to have just 3 hens The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 950477 .
!?! that sounds more like extortion than a variance.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/24/2011, 4:03 pm

Lavender Debs,

How I envy your garden! Not to mention your parents' clamming expedition.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 4/25/2011, 1:12 am

Lavender Debs wrote:
shannon1 wrote:snip... the city wants a $300 fee for a variance to have just 3 hens The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 950477 .
!?! that sounds more like extortion than a variance.
I think the wealthy folks that have moved to our little beach just don't like the idea of chickens around their mill. dollar homes. They don't know any better, that 3 hens confined in a neighbors yard is not going to bother them. They know we can't afford to pay the fee. The ironic thing is since the fee was imposed someone set lose chickens and they are running rampent. The city was starting a "control" program and the resedents, people that live here year round, were up in arms and stopped it. So now we have ferral chickens but I can't have my 3 well cared for hens The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 671790
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 Empty I think the sprong in spring done broke

Post  Lavender Debs 4/25/2011, 4:49 pm

Two days of spring like weather and now we are getting a winter storm warning. North west Oregon could get snow and 60 mph winds in their Cascades. Our snow level is down to 3000 feet which is just discouraging.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_28
100% chance of rain today. Even in the PNW we seldom have 100% chance of rain. The weather prophets are attempting to cheer me up with assurances that our night-time lows are up to normal for this time of year even if our daytime temps are a good 10 degrees lower than normal. Joy.

@Donna; that means a lot coming from you. Thanks (but you should see what FBMom, Camprn, Boffer and Megan are doing....and Farmer Val is really coming along!

@Shannon; I don't suppose you can feed and provide shelter for the feral hens to get eggs? A girlfriend of mine did that. She got her eggs that way for a long time. She did eventually put a fence around the "shelter." We do not have wealthy land owners or expensive variances to deal with. There are so many animal welfare people that it seems as if you would have SOME support.

Deborah....still looking for the bright-side
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 3 April_29 No bees in this cold rain. Winds to 45 mph toward dinner time. I best get that new closet tied down. Over an inch of rain tonight. The nuggets are still in a heated box in Jason's room 52/43.... 52 did not last long.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 4/25/2011, 5:03 pm

Sad My forecast doesn't look any brighter...predicting snow here as well.

So much for our two "glorious" days eh?
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next