Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What do folks know about growing Sea Kale? Toplef10What do folks know about growing Sea Kale? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What do folks know about growing Sea Kale? I22gcj10What do folks know about growing Sea Kale? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What do folks know about growing Sea Kale? Toplef10What do folks know about growing Sea Kale? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What do folks know about growing Sea Kale? I22gcj10What do folks know about growing Sea Kale? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What do folks know about growing Sea Kale?

2 posters

Go down

What do folks know about growing Sea Kale? Empty What do folks know about growing Sea Kale?

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 2/7/2011, 3:40 pm

I'm planting Sea Kale seeds from Nichols Garden Seeds today, though I've never even seen a plant. Any information would be appreciated.
Nonna, St. Helens, Orr
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

What do folks know about growing Sea Kale? Empty Re: What do folks know about growing Sea Kale?

Post  Furbalsmom 2/7/2011, 4:24 pm

glad you\'re here Nonna,
So glad to have another Oregonian here on the SFG Forum. We have a couple of forum members in the Portland area.

My name is Furbalsmom, and I am your regional host for the Pacific North West. I live on the northern part of the Southern Coast and we stay cool all summer long. Our average August highs are in the mid-60's and 70's. Makes gardening a challange if you want warm weather plants such as eggplants, tomatoes and peppers, but cool season crops seem to do well here.

Please feel free to ask questions and if you have experience or knowledge about solutions for another members questions or problems, please just jump right in and help us out. By the way, we I love you pictures.

I did a bit of googling for information about Sea Kale. I have never seen or heard of Sea Kale before today and I have no personal knowledge of the growth habits and uses of this veggie. According to the various sites I looked at, it is found to be hardy in Maritime areas. Not common in the US as most find it labor intensive, apparently it is used as a vegetable, by harvesting new shoots similar to aspargus. Here the info differs between sites. Some sites say the plants should be blanched by covering with a pot or basket, or the shoots are too bitter to eat. Others say it is ok to harvest, without blanching the plant, then just cook the new shoots like greens. Hope you will let us know.
It also appears to be a long lived perrenial, and if you are growing from seed, there won't be any harvest until the second year.
All that said, I agree that it is something interesting to try. Please be sure to keep us updated on growing the sea kale.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

What do folks know about growing Sea Kale? Empty What do folks know about Sea Kale

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 2/7/2011, 5:05 pm

Thank you Furbalsmom (bet you have a cat!). Believe I found some of the sites you found for Sea Kale, especially the ones that recommended putting a basket over the new shoots in the spring to "blanch" them. Yes, that'd be labor intensive for a short-term harvest, but Nichols indicates the young leaves are tasty used like other members of the cabbage family. Having said that, I wonder if it's anything like Tuscan "dragon" kale (which I'm very fond of)? Whatever it's like, I've planted six seeds. BTW, take care in researching sea kale on European sites; yesterday my computer went into a panic saying a worm/virus was trying to access my drive. Fortunately, AGV snatched it and tossed it into the virus vault--keep your virus protection up to date. Best wishes, Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

What do folks know about growing Sea Kale? Empty Re: What do folks know about growing Sea Kale?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down