Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My new garden and helpers Toplef10My new garden and helpers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My new garden and helpers I22gcj10My new garden and helpers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My new garden and helpers Toplef10My new garden and helpers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My new garden and helpers I22gcj10My new garden and helpers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My new garden and helpers

+3
quiltbea
Blackrose
Lindacol
7 posters

Go down

My new garden and helpers Empty My new garden and helpers

Post  Lindacol 2/6/2011, 6:37 pm

I'm just starting my 1st SFG. The 1st bed will be double high block (so that it is easier to take care of w/o a lot of bending over) 4x8. It will have metal lath (becuase I already have some) on the bottom to keep the gophers out. Gophers destroyed the about 20 plumbagos and 3 pepper trees I planted last year. I have gopher baskets ordered for any new bushes and trees.

I also have to deal with ground squirrels and rabbits. I have started trapping the gophers and squirrels.

If I did this right and my pictures appear, you will see my garden area as I start building my raised bed today. Also one with my 2 pest/helpers. Duke & Annie. Annie steals and chews EVERYTHING. Yesterday she stole my rebar! A 3 footer was found in the front yard (200 ft away) and one in the back yard and one is still missing even though I wasted an hour looking for it. So now the exterior garden fence has moved to the top of my to do list. Chicken wire will not keep them or the goats out so it will be hog panels topped with hot wire or might use a roll of 4 ft chain link I got for free a few years ago.

My plan is to get the beds built this week. Weather here is nice today - in the 70s, except for the Santa Ana winds today blowing around 30 mph[url][/url]
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

My new garden and helpers Empty Re: My new garden and helpers

Post  Lindacol 2/6/2011, 6:46 pm

Lindacol wrote:I'm just starting my 1st SFG. The 1st bed will be double high block (so that it is easier to take care of w/o a lot of bending over) 4x8. It will have metal lath (becuase I already have some) on the bottom to keep the gophers out. Gophers destroyed the about 20 plumbagos and 3 pepper trees I planted last year. I have gopher baskets ordered for any new bushes and trees.

I also have to deal with ground squirrels and rabbits. I have started trapping the gophers and squirrels.

If I did this right and my pictures appear, you will see my garden area as I start building my raised bed today. Also one with my 2 pest/helpers. Duke & Annie. Annie steals and chews EVERYTHING. Yesterday she stole my rebar! A 3 footer was found in the front yard (200 ft away) and one in the back yard and one is still missing even though I wasted an hour looking for it. So now the exterior garden fence has moved to the top of my to do list. Chicken wire will not keep them or the goats out so it will be hog panels topped with hot wire or might use a roll of 4 ft chain link I got for free a few years ago.

My plan is to get the beds built this week. Weather here is nice today - in the 70s, except for the Santa Ana winds today blowing around 30 mph[url][/url]
[img][/img]
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

My new garden and helpers Empty Posting pictures

Post  Lindacol 2/6/2011, 6:51 pm

OK I can't figure out how to put up the pictures. I have read how to post a picture located on your computer and think I followed the instructions but still nothing shows up.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 2/6/2011, 7:06 pm

Hi Lindacol!

Are you copying and pasting the entire link into your post?

Alternatively, you could upload your picture to your Personal Album and then follow these instructions to insert your picture into your post:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t843-how-to-post-pictures-from-your-personal-album

If you need more help, please let us know. Most of the time there is an Administrator, Moderator or Regional Host online that can help.
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/6/2011, 7:15 pm

Here's how I post pics on my Internet Explorer......

Click on a subject or open a new discussion as usual.

Go to the top just above your window and look for the "Host An Image" icon. Its the 8th from the right. Click on it.

A window opens. Click on the word "Browse" and it will move to your picture albums on your computer.

Find the picture you want to post and click on it. Click on "Open" in the same window.

The 'Upload Your Image" box opens.
Click on "Host It" The window changes.

Click on the middle long line of letters and it will 'blue up."
Click on 'Copy" at the right in the same window.

Click on "Edit" across the top of your computer.
Click on "Copy" in the drop-down box that opens.
Click on "Allow Access" when another box opens.

Now move your cursor to the spot in your post where you want the picture to show up.

Click on "Paste" in that same "Edit" drop-down list at the very top.

Click on "Preview" at the bottom of your posting window and your picture should show up.

You can go back to make changes or add things or even add other pictures now in the bottom window below the one that showed up after clicking "Preview." The one at the top is what will post when you are done.
Make any changes in that bottom window or add more pics.
Just be sure to click on "Preview" after each addition to see how your post looks.
When its the way you want it, click on "Send" at the bottom and it'll post to the forum.
My new garden and helpers 02-02b13
This happens to be my garden last week, under 2 feet of snow.

My new garden and helpers 02-02b14
And here's our picnic table.

I hope this helps you.
boffer helped me along with my first attempts. I'm just passing it on.

quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 2/6/2011, 7:34 pm

Thanks Quiltbea, that helped, only I had to allow access before I could edit & copy but it works.

Here are the pictures. The pallets in the back contain my old compost and will be moved further back to make room of a couple more beds in the future.

My new garden and helpers Garden16

My new garden and helpers Garden15
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/6/2011, 7:59 pm

I love your dogs. My sister had a dog years ago she named Scoop because he would scoop up the toys in the neighborhood back yards and hide them behind her house. If anyone was missing a toy, they'd come aknockin' at the door and sure enuf, it'd be there.

I envy you. I love the fact that you have those cement blocks for your garden beds. They'll be great and you will even be able to sit on them while working in your garden.

Good luck with it all.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 2/7/2011, 1:13 am

They are adorable! Hubby says the one on the left looks ornery rofl....
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 2/7/2011, 1:28 am

CindiLou wrote:They are adorable! Hubby says the one on the left looks ornery rofl....

Duke, naw he's a big teddybear. Scares people with his size, about 140 lbs. Annie(the lighter colored one), however at 1 year and a little lighter weight is still very much a troublemaking puppy.

At least if I can find the rebar she won't have destroyed it, like she has many other things like hoses.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

My new garden and helpers Empty Garden find and update

Post  Lindacol 2/27/2011, 7:36 pm

I just picked up some panels that were on Craigslist and am trying to figure out how to use them Thought I would ask here.
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/grd/2234304007.html
50 inch x 26 inch Aluminum Panels for $5 ea. If anyone wants some he has over a 100. I got 12. He is in Chino.

My new garden and helpers Garden10

Here is my garden progress. Bed is filled and ready to go. Pallet compost bins have been moved back to make more room to grow stuff. Some seedlings started inside- tomatoes and one cucumber coming up so far. Onion sets ready to plant. We had a frost last night. We had gropel (never heard of it before) not hail when I was out doing chores last night. Very unusual for this area.

My new garden and helpers Garden11

Also a friend gave me some spaghetti squash seeds yesterday. They are fresh so I rinsed them in water and set them out on paper towels to dry. What else do I need to do to try planting them this year?
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2/27/2011, 8:04 pm

Great progress, that bed looks great! And what a deal on those panels. They could make trellises or fencing or who knows what else... maybe an arbor? As for the squash seeds, I think you are probably good to go, just let them dry out.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 2/27/2011, 8:27 pm

We had a dog we named holes, because that's what he loved to do, dig holes. His favorite spot was right where ever hubby would park his truck when he got home. Dog would know exactly where to dig, no matter how far up or back he parked. My son's latest dog thinks that my garden beds/boxes are for him to lay in, he's back on the chain.....
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 2/28/2011, 10:24 pm

I just picked up some panels that were on Craigslist and am trying to figure out how to use them Thought I would ask here.

Trellis is what I would try for. Would make an unusual pea fence too. Those little suckers will grab for anything. Would be good for a cucumber fence too. If you could get it at an angle you could try to get the cukes to hang below. Or if you have some flowers that vine and are near the house, lay it against the house and have the flowers grow up those. Just make sure you have it secured at the bottom real well.
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

My new garden and helpers Empty My May garden update

Post  Lindacol 5/17/2011, 1:31 am

Here is what my garden looks like today after I was gone for 4 days to my daughters college graduation..
My new garden and helpers Garden12

My new garden and helpers Onions10

Onions doing well - think I need to thin these.

My new garden and helpers Onions11

Sick tomato plant - any ideas on what could be wrong? It is the 2nd square from the back left in the bed.

My new garden and helpers Sickto10

Do I need to worry about the color on this tomato? This is the one in the back left corner square.

My new garden and helpers Tomato10

Squash, spaghetti on the left & Tromboncino on the right.

My new garden and helpers Squash10

Cantelope

My new garden and helpers Cantel10

Potatoes recovered from frost but now both cans have had some wilting in the south west corners 0 this was 1st notices a couple of weeks ago when we had a hot spell of several days over 90 and this edge gets full afternoon sun.

My new garden and helpers Potato10

Carrot week squares planted 4/15
My new garden and helpers Carrot10
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down