Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- Toplef10Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- I22gcj10Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- Toplef10Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- I22gcj10Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen-

+7
CindiLou
ander217
miinva
Selandra
Megan
Furbalsmom
middlemamma
11 posters

Go down

Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- Empty Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen-

Post  middlemamma 1/6/2011, 10:41 pm

and although it is not how most of us garden lovers feel...I thought it was cute and would bring a smile to some of our faces as we wait for spring to arrive. Smile

"Fulghum, Washington, and Dandelions"
from p. 65-67 of All I Ever Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten
by Robert Fulghum

Mr. Washington was a hard-core lawn freak. His yard and my yard blended together in an ambiguous fashion. Every year he was seized by a kind of herbicidal mania. He started fondling his weed-eater and mixing up vile potions in vats in his garage. It usually added up to trouble.

Sure enough, one morning I caught him over in my yard spraying dandelions.

"Didn't really think you'd mind," says he, righteously.

"Mind, mind!--you just killed my flowers," says I, with guarded contempt.

"Flowers?" he ripostes. "Those are weeds!" He points at my dandelions with utter disdain.

"Weeds," says I, "are plants growing where people don't want them. In other words," says I, "weeds are in the eye of the beholder. And as far as I am concerned, dandelions are not weeds--they are flowers!"

"Horse manure," says he, and stomps off home to avoid any taint of lunacy.
Now I happen to like dandelions a lot. They cover my yard each spring with fine yellow flowers, with no help from me at all. They mind their business and I mind mine. The young leaves make a spicy salad. The flowers add fine flavor and elegant color to a classic light wine. Toast the roots, grind and brew, and you have a palatable coffee. The tenderest shoots make a tonic tea. The dried mature leaves are high in iron, vitamins A and C, and make a good laxative. Bees favor dandelions, and the cooperative result is high-class honey.

Dandelions have been around for about thirty million years; there are fossils. The nearest relatives are lettuce and chicory. Formally classed as perennial herbs of the genus Taraxacum of the family aster-aceae. The name comes from the French for lion's tooth, dent de lion. Distributed all over Europe, Asia, and North America, they got there on their own. Resistant to disease, bugs, heat, cold, wind, rain, and human beings.

If dandelions were rare and fragile, people would knock themselves out to pay $14.95 a plant, raise them by hand in greenhouses, and form dandelion societies and all that. But they are everywhere and don't need us and kind of do what they please. So we call them "weeds," and murder them at every opportunity.

Well, I say they are flowers, by God, and pretty darn fine flowers at that. And I am honored to have them in my yard, where I want them. Besides, in addition to every other good thing about them, they are magic. When the flower turns to seed you can blow them off the stem, and if you blow just right and all those little helicopters fly away, you get your wish. Magic. Or if you are a lover, they twine nicely into a wreath for your friends hair.
I defy my neighbor to show me anything in his yard that compares with dandelions.
And if all that isn’t enough, consider this; Dandelions are free. Nobody ever complains about your picking them. You can have all you can carry away. Some weed!

Last edited by middlemamma on 1/7/2011, 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- Empty Re: Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen-

Post  Furbalsmom 1/6/2011, 11:44 pm

Middlemamma wrote:
When the flower turns to seed you can blow them off the stem, and if you blow just right and all those little helicopters fly away, you get your wish. Magic.

Or you can blow those little helicopters over into Mr. Washington's yard.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- Empty Re: Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen-

Post  middlemamma 1/6/2011, 11:48 pm

darn funny clap funny post
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 1/6/2011, 11:51 pm

If my memory doesn't fail me, dandelion were intentionally introduced into the United States by the early European immigrants who recognized its beneficial uses and wanted to have it around. Very Happy

Last edited by Megan on 1/7/2011, 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixing grammar)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Selandra 1/6/2011, 11:57 pm

thankyou rahrah

I've tried forever to convice people that dandelions are great... they look at me like I'm some strange creature from the bottom of the sea. Even took awhile to convice my husband that a green lawn was not a "green" lawn. I let him yank the weeds from the gravel area and he's content.
Selandra
Selandra

Female Posts : 123

http://www.asfggardenerstale.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/7/2011, 12:14 am

Learning that the bees love them was enough to convince me, although I've never been a lawn fanatic anyway. It never made sense to me to dump chemicals on an area where my pets/friends/kids would play.
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- Empty bouquets

Post  ander217 1/7/2011, 6:36 pm

One of my favorite early spring bouquets is a tiny vase of dandelion flowers and violets. The bright yellow and purple flowers and green foliage bring a smile to my face whenever I look at them.

Weeds, indeed!
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- Empty Dandelion bouquets

Post  CindiLou 1/7/2011, 8:59 pm

Nothing tells me it is spring more than the grandbabies trying to make NaNa's nose yellow!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- Empty RE: I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen-

Post  janefss2002 1/7/2011, 10:01 pm

As they say, "one man's trash is another's treasure".
Or here in the Dallas area, "bermuda grass in the lawn good; bermuda grass in the garden bad" Evil or Very Mad
Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Female Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- Empty Grass in Dallas

Post  CindiLou 1/7/2011, 10:32 pm

janefss2002 wrote:As they say, "one man's trash is another's treasure".
Or here in the Dallas area, "bermuda grass in the lawn good; bermuda grass in the garden bad" Evil or Very Mad
Jane

I have a sister (whylie) and brother(justin) in that area. They so love to call and pick on me when their are harvesting their gardens! But I still love my snow lol....
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 1/7/2011, 10:34 pm

I think we are a rare club Cindi...but I am with you on that one. Smile I lived in Northern AZ the last 13 years and I LOVE this 4 season gig. Smile
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Dandelions - I cut this out of a magazine when I was a teen- Empty Snow is a good thing lol

Post  CindiLou 1/7/2011, 10:43 pm

middlemamma wrote:I think we are a rare club Cindi...but I am with you on that one. Smile I lived in Northern AZ the last 13 years and I LOVE this 4 season gig. Smile

I grew up in Texas, from Galveston to El Paso. My family moved to Iowa (original homeplace) when I was 13. I refused to go back when they went the week I turned 18! No way I was leaving Iowa to go to Dallas! I really did not like that town lol...I went back once in '82 for my brother's wedding. but I love my 4 seasons!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  ander217 1/8/2011, 8:31 am

CindiLou wrote:Nothing tells me it is spring more than the grandbabies trying to make NaNa's nose yellow!

Thanks for that happy mental picture. flower
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 1/8/2011, 10:22 am

Selandra wrote: thankyou rahrah

I've tried forever to convice people that dandelions are great... they look at me like I'm some strange creature from the bottom of the sea. Even took awhile to convice my husband that a green lawn was not a "green" lawn. I let him yank the weeds from the gravel area and he's content.

Howdy Selandra:

BSFG (Before Square Foot Gardening) I purchased a lawn fertilizer made for dandelions. I must have used to much as it killed all of them.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/8/2011, 10:36 am

Wardin Wake wrote: BSFG (Before Square Foot Gardening) I purchased a lawn fertilizer made for dandelions. I must have used to much as it killed all of them

Ward, you are bad!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/23/2017, 2:57 pm

Bump

I love my dandelions!
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/23/2017, 8:02 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Bump

I love my dandelions!
flower
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down