Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Composting question & is anyone near me? Toplef10Composting question & is anyone near me? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Composting question & is anyone near me? I22gcj10Composting question & is anyone near me? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Composting question & is anyone near me? Toplef10Composting question & is anyone near me? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Composting question & is anyone near me? I22gcj10Composting question & is anyone near me? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Composting question & is anyone near me?

+5
oklaslim
okmedic07
isleofjava
Furbalsmom
ShadowWynn
9 posters

Go down

Composting question & is anyone near me? Empty Composting question & is anyone near me?

Post  ShadowWynn 12/21/2010, 8:55 pm

I have 3 horses who are primarly pasture-grazed or prarie-hay fed during the winter with a bit of grain added during the coldest months. So of course I have a LOT of manure to deal with! Anyone know the best way to compost the quantities I have and how long it needs to be composted before I can use it. I heard somewhere that horse manure needs to compost for 12 months?? I'm not planning to add this to my regular compost pile because of the sheer volume.

Also, are there any SFG people close to me? I am located between Oklahoma City and Shawnee, OK. On the edge of the region, I think.
ShadowWynn
ShadowWynn

Female Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Composting question & is anyone near me? Empty Re: Composting question & is anyone near me?

Post  Furbalsmom 12/21/2010, 9:38 pm

glad you\'re here ShadowWynn

So glad you joined us. Sorry, I am not anywhere near you, but wanted to let you know how glad we are to have you.

It appears you found some threads in your region and have started looking around. Be sure to check other regions too. Our search tool may not be the best in the world, but you may find information that is helpful.

Please feel free to ask questions and if you have answers or comments please feel free to chime in. We want your participation and we sure do love pictures.

Regarding the time required to compost horse manure, I have NO experience, but found the following link which may help.

HORSE COMPOST

The next is a partial quote from Washington State University " It will probably take about one to three months for each pile to compost during the summer and about three to six months in the winter. If you monitor your piles with a thermometer you will see a gradual drop in the higher "active" composting temperatures as it begins the curing process and becomes ready for use."
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Composting question & is anyone near me? Empty Manure Tea

Post  isleofjava 3/6/2011, 8:46 am

When I was boarding a number of horses years ago, there was a woman who would come in with a bunch of 5 gallon covered buckets and collect the horse manure. She'd take it home and add water, let it sit for a day or two and, then, store it in a rain barrel system to water her garden. she said it worked wonderfully and called it manure tea. The only thing she said to watch out for was to make it pretty dilute and water with it more often.
isleofjava
isleofjava

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Composting question & is anyone near me? Empty No too far off

Post  okmedic07 3/21/2011, 11:03 pm

Well I'm in Coweta, south of broken arrow.....So I'm not too far from you... I hope we can share some tips back and forth.....So far the only tip I have is to find a great website with lots of helpful people....wink wink
okmedic07
okmedic07

Back to top Go down

Composting question & is anyone near me? Empty Re: Composting question & is anyone near me?

Post  oklaslim 4/2/2011, 10:13 am

I am in Locust Grove east of Tulsa about 45 miles. I am also new to SFG actually gonna try to dig my box out of a wood pile today.

God Bless
Slim
oklaslim
oklaslim

Male Posts : 9

http://littlerockfreewillbaptistchurch.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kjenkins82 4/2/2011, 1:14 pm

I'm in Tulsa, so I'm not too far away either. I grew up in Maine and moved here a couple years ago so I don't have a lot of experience gardening in this climate. I am adapting and learning more each season. Glad that the cold weather of the last few days has passed and we are seeing some sunshine!
kjenkins82

Back to top Go down

Post  Khrishna 4/11/2011, 9:14 pm

I can't give you any tips about your horse manure but just wanted to let you know I'm just west of OKC in the Yukon/Mustang area. I'm glad to see so many Okies on this forum! Smile
Khrishna
Khrishna

Female Posts : 19

http://www.hoglogfrog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopped Liver MM 4/11/2011, 10:36 pm

We're composting donkey, cow, and pig here. We just got horses in the field today so they will be next. Treat it like any other compost pile. Keep it damp, turn it often, and nature will do the rest. I find adding a little straw from the "rotten" bales makes things go faster and turning it as frequently as you can stand to helps a lot. We have a lot of postings on Craigslist here that offer free composted or un-composted horse manure so if you're looking to get rid of it, people will come get it. Some might even pay. Wink

Welcome and best of luck with the free waste!
Chopped Liver MM

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/12/2011, 8:48 am

Chopped Liver MM wrote:We're composting donkey, cow, and pig here. We just got horses in the field today so they will be next. Treat it like any other compost pile. Keep it damp, turn it often, and nature will do the rest. I find adding a little straw from the "rotten" bales makes things go faster and turning it as frequently as you can stand to helps a lot. We have a lot of postings on Craigslist here that offer free composted or un-composted horse manure so if you're looking to get rid of it, people will come get it. Some might even pay. Wink

Welcome and best of luck with the free waste!

Where in NC are you. I'm in Elizabeth City, but visit my son in Wilmington often.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopped Liver MM 4/12/2011, 9:06 am

I'm a moving target (lol). Home base is in Winston-Salem, but the farm is near Wilkesboro. I have family in Ogden (you pass it on 17 coming into Wilmington) and Greensboro and have spent a lot of time in Elizabeth City.

Funny aside, my neighbors are now asking for manure. Never in a million years did I ever think someone would ask ME for manure. (lol)
Chopped Liver MM

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/12/2011, 10:17 am

Well, If I was closer, I would be asking also. Laughing

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopped Liver MM 4/12/2011, 10:24 am

walshevak wrote:Well, If I was closer, I would be asking also.

Plan a trip to the mountains, but remember, bring a truck, or a container you can seal tight. Wink
Chopped Liver MM

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/12/2011, 10:30 am

Composting question & is anyone near me? 262465 This "old lady" drives a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4

I have to go to Raleigh Fri. How far is that from the Manure?

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopped Liver MM 4/12/2011, 11:18 am

Right at 2 hours. We're 40 minutes on the other side of Winston-Salem. If you're serious and plan to come this way, let me know. We're cleaning out the pig pin this week and I'll make you a pile.
Chopped Liver MM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down