Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) Toplef10Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) I22gcj10Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) Toplef10Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) I22gcj10Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 10:38 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :)

+4
janefss2002
Furbalsmom
Old Hippie
middlemamma
8 posters

Go down

Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) Empty Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :)

Post  middlemamma 10/26/2010, 6:40 pm

40 degrees outside.

Two 4X4 boxes with MM. I put one bad of black gold worm castings on each box and worked it into the MM. Since pulling up summer crops I hadn't added compost yet, so they needed it.

We planted 11 squares of potato onions, 4 in each square.

We planted garlic 5 to a square .
8 squares of a local variety that I picked up at the local farmers market.
1 square of Czechland Race
1 square of Early Portugese
1 Square Brown Tempest
2 squares Kuty
2 Squares Balarus
1 square Kazakhstan
2 squares Chamiskuri
2 squares Dushambe

I am so excited you guys I can barely stand it. How awesome would it be to never buy store bought garlic again? Or store bought onions?

Not accounting for any failure, which there is bound to be a few, I could potentially end up with 100 bulbs of garlic, and 44 onions that are multipliers!

rock on rock on rock on rock on
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) Empty Re: Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :)

Post  Old Hippie 10/26/2010, 6:58 pm

That's a lot of garlic!! LOL! It is exciting though isn't it?!?! I share your excitement. Are these the ones your daughter was so excited about?

I planted my perennial onions yesterday and potted up some herbs to bring in the house.......chives, thyme, oregano. DH is making a shelf for me by the kitchen sink for my herbs and I will put a small grow light that I have above them. I have to laugh at how into all this gardening stuff he is getting. He never paid much attention to my gardening before. But he is learning to cook now too so that makes a difference it seems.

Best of luck with all of it.

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) Empty Re: Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :)

Post  middlemamma 10/26/2010, 7:16 pm

IT IS A LOT OF GARLIC!

We love to eat it...and I will need more seed for next fall. And I would like to give some away. Smile

Ideally in a couple years I will plant 2 whole boxes of garlic each fall. If the onions work out I would like to do the same with them. Smile

middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 10/26/2010, 7:46 pm

If you have planted two whole boxes with onions and garlic, where are you going to grow your spring, summer and fall veggies? thinking

I'm laughing because I am getting ready to plant my onions, garlic and shallots and I am wondering where I will plant everything else this spring. DH only promised me 3 - 4 X 4 boxes. I hate to think that I will have to continue planting much in my old SFG that is amended soil, not Mel's Mix. The weeds were absolutely horrendous and I don't think I can deal with that again.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 10/26/2010, 7:53 pm

If you plant stuff in your old amended soil, use mulch to keep the weeds down. You can use grass clippings, straw, newspaper, shavings or sawdust. If you do use sawdust or shavings, your plants a bit of extra nitrogen rich liquid fertilizer to make up for what the sawdust robs from the soil. But I have used newspaper if weeds were really bad and it sure helped. Not as pretty as pure Mel's Mix, but would give you some extra growing room.

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 10/26/2010, 7:58 pm

I had four 4X4's this past spring. I am using 2 for onions and garlic. I get 4 more boxes this coming spring Smile so will still have 6 open for spring stuff. Very Happy

rofl Just friggin tickled.....cannot stand it...
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 10/26/2010, 8:31 pm

Dang, Girl! You are just too cute!

I wish I know what kinds of garlic I have. The one kind I know is Russian Red and I have only one square of it. I picked that up this past fall when we went to visit my sister and I bought it at a roadside garden stand. However, before that I had looked everywhere for garlic and nobody had any so in desperation I just planted some supermarket stuff. I have two squares of that. I also have two squares of some that a customer of mine gave me. He is Japanese and a wonderful gardener but his English is not so good so he couldn't tell me what kind it was. So I just call it Japanese garlic. So I have 5 squares of garlic but planted mine 9 to a square. maybe that is too close. We will see what happens next year. The supermarket variety is about 6 or 7 inches high. None of the other have come up with is good. They weren't supposed to until next spring but oh well. Gardening is all about experimenting.

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 10/26/2010, 9:06 pm

GK- I planted 4 BULBS of garlic this past spring...BULBS...as in...I didn't seperate the cloves and plant them individually! I had BEAUTIFUL plants but...lol...no actual garlic due to the error. I had CLUMPS of a tangled mess that SMELLED like garlic but was never going to develop right...lol. The verbiage on the packet said to plant the "cloves" but the photo showed planting the BULB. I am VERY visual so I just followed the photos.

The garlic I got from the farmers market I didn't even think to ask the kind, the farmer who sold it to me is located in Bonner's Ferry ID, so I am calling it Bonners Ferry Garlic. Very Happy

the others I got from www.wegrowgarlic.com and I was careful to keep track where I planted what so I can see what we like the best etc for next year..IF I decide to buy some more for seed one more year.

I know A LOT of folks plant 9 to a square so I think you are good. I just wanted to give plenty of room for big bulb growth. If it doesnt help I may plant closer next year.

middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 10/26/2010, 9:17 pm

GK....you asked if these were the walking onions I planted with DD....no, those are in containers in the window room on the side of the house. I will plant them in the yard come spring. These that I planted today are POTATO ONIONS....Ander turned me onto it.... see this LINK
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  janefss2002 10/26/2010, 9:32 pm

Jennie,

I'm chomping to get mine planted, but still a little warm here. Maybe next weekend.

I had a big laugh this past week and thought about your first garlic planting. I had forgotten, lost, ignored whatever some garlic I had planted this spring under a giant Collard plant. Anyway, it was ready to do its garlic thing again after I had forgotten it for its harvest and sprang up about a week ago. You can just imagine, all nine of those little cloves last spring in my ignored square had apparently made 9 beautiful bulbs hidden from me. Now I have 9 beautiful CLUMPS of garlic! I'm just taking a knife and carving off little shoots (cloves as they are) from the mother bulbs. They do taste good and are like using scallions, only garlicky.

Making lemonade out those forgotten garlic bulbs.... uh, sort of Very Happy

Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Female Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 10/26/2010, 11:27 pm

funny post THATS GREAT JANE!!! I get a good laugh every time I think about it too.....this journey is so much fun! I have learned so much this first year about so many things it is just amazing to me.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 10/26/2010, 11:30 pm

With all this talk about garlic, I'm going to stop at the local Farmer's Market tomorrow and see if I can get some organic garlic so I, too, can plant a square or two of cloves.
I also have space in my A-frame so I can try there as well.
I love garlic but never grew it before.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) Empty Planted potato onions

Post  ander217 10/27/2010, 1:33 pm

I planted my potato onions on Tuesday in a raised bed marked off into grids. It's a little early for me, but we're in a drought again here, and they were calling for rain this week so I figured it would be good to get them in the ground and try to get a little rain on them.

I planted nine onions for every two squares. I planted five in the first square with one in the middle and one in each corner, like the five on a pair of dice. The next square had four, with one in the center top, one on each center side, and one on the center bottom. The next square was back to the pattern of five, and so on. That made all the onions planted the same distance apart in each row of squares, and I was able to get in one extra onion in every two squares.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 10/27/2010, 1:37 pm

Smile I did something similar, but I wanted the onions between my garlic squares so that I would be able to easier keep track of what type of garlic is in which square...so my "5" squares were garlic and my top center, bottom center and side centers were potato onions.

Very Happy
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 10/27/2010, 1:57 pm

Thanks to this thread I planted garlic today, as well.
Eight in the A-frame, and 4 in each of 2 squares in the raised beds.
They say plant 4 cloves in each foot square 4-6 weeks before the ground freezes so I think I'm ok with this even tho its October in Maine. Today is 63 and tonite will be around 40.
Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) 10-27-10
Here's one square with the compost added on top. I dug it in.
Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) 10-27-11
These 2 squares had winter rye growing so I turned them under.
Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) 10-27-12
This is my A-frame with the garlic planted in the two far outside ends with my lettuces struggling down the middle.
I've got wire hangers over the lettuce in case it got too sunny, but haven't needed to protect them and I've just put some wire clothes hangers over the 2 plots in the raised beds so I know where to cover when it gets really cold before the 4 weeks. I've got towels by the doorway in case.
I'm crossing my fingers that we all get a terrific bounty of garlic next season.
Thanks for starting this thread and keeping it going so I could get nudged to make my move.
I'm grateful.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub 10/27/2010, 8:47 pm

Can I still get potato onions? I checked baker creek but they didn't have them online, burpee and gurney's don't have anything listed at all.
Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) Empty Potato Onions

Post  janefss2002 10/27/2010, 8:53 pm

Check out this site:

http://www.southernexposure.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PONION

This is where I got mine. I just checked and they still seemed available.
Good luck, you'll love them!

Jane
janefss2002
janefss2002

Female Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub 10/27/2010, 9:27 pm

Thanks! I just ordered the Yellow Multiplier Onions. I hope they get here soon I can't wait to plant them.
Now... Where to put them...
Aub
Aub

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 10/27/2010, 11:53 pm

yahoo

YAY Quiltbea on the new garlic planting & YAY Aub on being the newest potato onion convert!! Awesome!

middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Planted garlic and potato onions today Oct 26th :) Empty Potato onions

Post  ander217 10/28/2010, 7:54 am

Aub wrote:Thanks! I just ordered the Yellow Multiplier Onions. I hope they get here soon I can't wait to plant them.
Now... Where to put them...

Aub, although they are in the same family the yellow multiplier onions aren't the same thing as potato onions. (You had to scroll farther down on the SESE catalog site to get to the potato onions.) I've never grown the yellow multipliers, but from what I see on the SESE catalog info they are 2/3 the size of potato onions, and it sounded as though they may always cluster rather than growing a single large bulb, but I couldn't really tell for certain from the description.

Let us know how they turn out.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub 10/28/2010, 9:35 am

I just double checked my order, I did get the potato onions! I just called it the wrong thing. I was worried for a minute!
Are they pretty quick to ship things? How many do I plant per square?
Aub
Aub

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 10/28/2010, 12:29 pm

Aub....we talked about the potato onions for many days here in this thread:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/general-sfg-talk-f5/sese-has-large-potato-onions-for-sale-t3900.htm?highlight=sese

I think we talked about how many per square...I put 4 in per square but ander alternates 5 and 4 like she descibed above.

There is a TON of awesome info in the thread above Very Happy ENJOY!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 10/28/2010, 12:40 pm

Middlemamma, your new avatar pic is great. You & your kids look so cute.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 10/28/2010, 1:02 pm

Thanks Dixie Smile I love 'em....they drive me to drink LOL...but I love 'em with everything I got.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down