Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables Toplef10Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables I22gcj10Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables Toplef10Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables I22gcj10Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables

5 posters

Go down

Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables Empty Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables

Post  acara 10/14/2010, 8:51 am

As I'm starting to get fruit/vegetables in my garden, I'm running into this issue & suspect it will end badly (rot, spot, etc.)

Despite vigorous prunning/trellising/planning, some stuff just pops up too quickly or is concealed by vegetation on the plant & goes unnoticed until it's too late. The close/small SFG footprint seems to magnify the issue (especially on the larger stuff like the tomatoes & bell peppers)

End result is that I've got fruit/veggies that are either touching, or that are going to make contact soon & there isn't enough room to tension/redirect the fruit/veggie.

Is there a certain item, spacer or material that I can insert between the fruit/veggies that is porous, compressable, breathable, inert & won't damage the produce. Most importantly, it needs to stay in place with no support structure, other than opposing (compressive) pressure.

Tenatively, I'm thinking pieces of foam or kitchen sponge, cut-to size & inserted between the contact points ???

Hopefully someone has some experience/advice for this, or can point me at a gadgety-gizmo that I'm unaware of ???

ATM, issue is with Bell Peppers, but I antipate being in the same situation with tomatoes shortly ... and those are even more susceptible to damage/rot pale

I understand that the only solution may be to "cull the herd" ....but I wanted to ask before I just snipped perfectly good developing produuce off (everything is similar sized & I caught it too late, so this isn't one of those"snip one" to make the others grow bigger situation....).

Again ..tension/slinging isn't an option ...the fruit is co-located & there isn't room.
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables Empty Re: Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables

Post  Garden Angel 10/14/2010, 9:52 am

Hi Acara, maybe can you post some pictures so we can see exactly the situation? I'm no expert by any means but I would venture to say that I would think your climate is good there so it would'nt hurt the veggies to touch? also if I were you instead of trying to put something artificial between the fruits that might be a breeding ground and host a desease , I would coat the veggie with DE and it would help with desease , cause you only water at the base of the plant it could stay there unless it rained. That's what I would do, my plants aren't that tall yet.
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables Empty Re: Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables

Post  acara 10/14/2010, 11:28 am

This was a week ago (10/9) & the peppers have almost doubled in size since then ..

Separating clusterd/crowded fruits vegetables ContactPoint
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel 10/14/2010, 2:04 pm

They look very healthy ! I'm thinking they are just suppose to grow like that and there really is no way to prevent them from growing close together and don't really see a problem with them touching ? :scratch: they don't really look like they are too crowded , but has anyone had a problem from that ? looks like so far so good to me!
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 10/14/2010, 2:10 pm

I live way up north and my peppers are long gone now, but I didn't have any trouble with them touching. There is enough 'give' on the fruits that they were able to continue to grow without rotting or damaging.

The same held true for my tomatoes when I had a couple touching. Usually in the case of the toms, the larger ones ripened and could be picked before the others so they were removed and out of the way. I never had too many on a branch ripening at the same time.

Maybe I was just lucky.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 10/14/2010, 8:50 pm

Hey Acara! happy hi I'm up in the Panhandle. We had an incredibly hot and HUMID summer this time around. I can tell you that my tomato varieties that clustered did not suffer damage from touching each other. I had cracking from the bouts with excessive rain we had, but I really can't say there was a problem from the fruits contacting each other. My jalapenos, (that did NOTHING during the summer) are now setting loads of fruit now that its cooled off some. So far they are setting and growing to the size I like to harvest at without any problem. I'd leave them be unless you see a problem.. you may just have a bumper crop !! rock on
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 10/16/2010, 7:03 am

Kewl ....... I'm confident that I'm completely qualified & have enough SFG experience under my belt to "do nothing" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

... thanks for the input everyone
acara
acara

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 10/16/2010, 8:21 am

Veggies can get away from you really fast, and they are sneaky varmints too. I had everything cheek by jowl and didn't have a problem with it. Good luck, sounds like you are having a great crop going there!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down