Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG Toplef10Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG I22gcj10Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG Toplef10Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG I22gcj10Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Maybe a silly question but...
by aadams43 Today at 18:36

» Seedling Identification
by OhioGardener Today at 15:39

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 13:14

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 8:22

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 6:50

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 2:13

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 22:13

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 21:49

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 21:25

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 15:17

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 5:04

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:22

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:15

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:37

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:33

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 6:26

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 14:50

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:24

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:16

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed 10 Apr 2024 - 10:43

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 20:40

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 19:28

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan Sun 7 Apr 2024 - 8:41

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 19:30

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 13:08

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 11:58

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:24

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:09

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 4:50

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Mon 1 Apr 2024 - 15:05

Google

Search SFG Forum

Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG

4 posters

Go down

Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG Empty Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG

Post  ander217 Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 5:38

Belfrybat, I've been wondering how your lasagna beds compared to SFG boxes in your garden. Do you have a yields vs. labor conclusion you're willing to share with us?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG Empty Re: Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG

Post  Retired Member 1 Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 10:51

I'm glad you asked! Yes, there was quite a bit of difference in the beds.

Standard MM beds were a bit easier to make: only three ingredients mixed with tarp and put in. Once I found the vermiculite, that is. And rather expensive.
The lasagna (L from here out) beds took more initial effort, but were cheaper. The edges were 16" high, so much more material to be layered in. Getting enough layering material at one time was a bit of a challenge. (I'll list the ingredients further down.)
Since I used found materials for both MM and L boxes, making the boxes didn't cost anything.
I planted all of them SFG except the L garlic bed, which I planted in staggered rows due to different sized garlics.

Once everything was well wet down, the lasagna beds held moisture much better than the MM. So overall I used less water in the L beds.

The overall productivity was better in the L beds, although I didn't raise all the same things in each. Of the plants I duplicated (summer & winter squash, bush and pole beans, tomatoes, peppers, and greens the L beds out produced the MM by about 1/3 more. I also did not add any fertilizer to the L beds but did to the MM.

Both shrunk a lot, the MM by about 1/3 and the L by half. I'm guessing that the extra height of material was a large factor in water retention. I ended up with about 4" of MM, but 8" in the L beds, which was pure compost. I am now in the process of dismantling two of the L beds and transferring the compost to the MM beds with a bit of additional manure.

My plans for next year is about the same as this: 4 MM beds (enriched with compost both from the L beds and the compost piles, and 3 new L beds since I can obtain plenty of fressh mater

Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG Empty Re: Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG

Post  Garden Angel Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 10:56

Hi Belfry, for those of us who have perhaps never heard the term "lasagna bed" could you please explain what that is? thx.
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Belfrybat, question about lasagna vs. SFG Empty 2nd half of response

Post  Retired Member 1 Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 11:04

The "reply" function is not working well for me, and I ended up typing the last paragraph blind since the reply box started jumping up and down. And I wasn't able to get to the bottom to edit it out.

My plans for next year is about the same as this: 4 MM beds (enriched with compost both from the L beds and the compost piles along with a bit of sandy loam, and 3 new L beds since I can obtain plenty of fresh material.

Advantages of MM beds (for me):
almost no weeds (some of the grasses I used in the L beds sprouted!)
easier to make as all (or almost all) materials are purchased
neater looking as boxes are 7-8" tall

Advantages of lasagna beds (for me):
better water holding capacity
all materials were free except for 1/2 bale of peatmoss
better productivity
fun in seeing what I could fine to make them

Ingredients in lasagna beds (layered 1 - 4" thick up to 18-22" high):

shredded leaves
fresh grass clippings
sawdust
cow manure (may have been source of some weed seeds)
dry grass clippings " "
peat moss
pine needles
wood ash sprinkled on top
paper and cardboard for bottom layer

OK - reply box is messing up again
Retired Member 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 11:26

Garden Angel wrote:Hi Belfry, for those of us who have perhaps never heard the term "lasagna bed" could you please explain what that is? thx.

See the second half of my post -- the reply function isn't working well for me so I had to split the response.

The ingredients I listed (and any other plant material/ manure) is layered on top of a thick layer of newspaper or cardboard in layers ranging from 1 - 4" depending on the fineness or coarseness of the material. Water each layer well. Alternate the materials until the pile is 18-24" inches tall and top with a finer material and wood ash. There's no need to use sides, but I do as it's much neater. Cover with a tarp or plastic and let "bake" for a few weeks. Then plant. If planting seeds make a trench or hole and use either MM or potting soil to give the seeds a base to germinate in. If transplants, just poke down into the "soil". I had some left-over MM so used that on one L bed for the last layer -- worked great for seeding.
Retired Member 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie Mon 11 Oct 2010 - 12:28

I use lasagna style to make new flower beds. It saves having to dig up the sod. Is that being lazy or just efficient? LOL!

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down