Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? Toplef10Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? I22gcj10Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? Toplef10Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? I22gcj10Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo?

+12
Scorpio Rising
AtlantaMarie
sanderson
ander217
sfg4uKim
SanDiegoUrbanGarden
Chopper
acara
Old Hippie
LaFee
Megan
valelab
16 posters

Go down

Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? Empty Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo?

Post  valelab 10/10/2010, 5:41 am

Hola,
vivo en Buenos Aires, una ciudad grande, no tengo jardín sino terraza (de baldosas) y me pregunto si se podra adaptar el método para cultivar en mi propia terraza. Le da el sol fuerte gran parte del día, así que las pocas macetas que tengo, sufren si no las riego todos los días.
Ademas, últimamente el tiempo esta "medio loco", alternando días invernales con días de veranito, y eso que ya estamos bien entrados en la primavera.
Me encantaría conocer gente en la misma situación, y más si entiende español (yo leo inglés, no tengo vocabulario de jardinería, sino de inglés técnico, pero creo que puedo entenderlo bien).
Saludos cordiales, y felicito a Mel por su trabajo!
Vale
valelab
valelab

Female Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? Empty Re: Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo?

Post  Megan 10/10/2010, 10:58 am

Hello,

Welcome to the forum! glad you\'re here

Sadly I do not know enough Spanish to reply to you properly, but I hope someone else can do so. Best wishes to you and your garden.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? Empty Re: Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo?

Post  LaFee 10/10/2010, 11:18 am

(ragged translation)

"Hello,

I live in Buenos Aires, a big city, and I don't have a garden, only a terrace and I'm asking how to adapt this method to growing on a terrace. There's strong sun for most of the day, and sometimes the plants suffer because I can't always water them every day.

Also, lately the weather has been half crazy, with wintry days alternating with summery days, and we are already well into the spring [Argentina is in the southern hemisphere, so valelab has the opposite seasons most of us do]

I would love to meet people in the same situation, even better if you understand Spanish. I read English, but I don't know the words for gardening , all the technical words, but I think I can get it right.

Best regards, and a salute to Mel for all his work."

Valelab, if it is easier for you, write in Spanish, and there are a few of us who can get the idea across to the others and try to help you with what they say. My Spanish is not very good, but I think you will be very happy with these techniques.

(Bienvenido!) Valelab, si es más fácil para usted, escribir en español, y hay unos pocos de nosotros que puede obtener a través de la idea a los demás y tratar de ayudar con lo que dicen. Mi español no es muy buena, pero creo que será muy feliz con estas técnicas para la jardin.

We have a member who is making a garden on the roof of their building...so if it works for them, it can work for you!

Tenemos un socio que está haciendo un jardín en el techo de su edificio ... por lo que si funciona para ellos, se puede trabajar para usted!

Saludos!

Acara, help me out with this, please -- my Spanish is Cubano/Puertorriqueno....so it's pretty wonky to begin with, and being rusty doesn't help!

LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 10/10/2010, 12:48 pm

Welcome to the forum, Valelab. Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? 61949 Greetings from almost northern Canada. My apologies to you that I cannot reply in Spanish but unfortunately, I have never learned more than a few words of that lovely language. Hopefully, someone else here on the forum, can translate this for you.

In Vancouver, British Columbia a lot of people do rooftop, balcony or terrace gardening. There is also someone on the forum from Eastern Canada, who has posted pictures of his/her rooftop garden. It seems to me that SFG would be wonderful for terrace gardening. You can make the boxes whatever size you want.

If hot sun during your growing season is an issue, perhaps you could use some sort of screen as shade protection. Several people have been using different kinds of self-watering containers, some purchased and some that are self-designed, to deal with the watering issues. There are a few threads on here with pictures of those as well. Unfortunately, since this is mostly in English, it may make searching for them a bit difficult for you. However, just ask and I am sure someone will point you in the right direction.

Best of luck in your gardening journey!!

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 10/10/2010, 1:02 pm

[quote="LaFeeAcara, help me out with this, please -- my Spanish is Cubano/Puertorriqueno....so it's pretty wonky to begin with, and being rusty doesn't help!

[/quote]

Avoid the word "straw" & "cowboy" & we'll be okay ...LOL (the Puertoriqueno half should explain my point...LOL).

We'll muddle through it, no worries...
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 10/10/2010, 2:53 pm

I read Spanish OK, but am better off replying in English.

Many people have gardens on terraces who successfully use this method. It really is perfect for that.

As far as sun goes, shade cloth or providing some late afternoon shade might help. I am in southern California and my plants got full sun all summer and did fine.

Watering is another matter. Just make sure your beds are saturated when you start and water when needed. If you cannot get out to water daily, can you get a timer and a sprinkler if daily watering is needed?

We have one man in Las Vegas, Nevada, which is extremely hot, who made his beds deeper to compensate for the very quick loss of water in that climate. According to Mel, that isn't needed but las Vegas is a special case.

Good luck and keep us informed. And don't worry about the language - we all have Google translate.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SanDiegoUrbanGarden 10/10/2010, 4:20 pm

valelab wrote:Hello,
I live in Buenos Aires, a big city, but I have no garden terrace (tiled) and I wonder if you can adapt the method to grow in my own terrace. It gives the strong sun most of the day, so the few pots I have, if not water them suffer every day.
Also, lately the weather is "half crazy" winter days alternating with days of summer arrives and that we are already well into spring.
I would love to meet people in the same situation, and more if you understand Spanish (I read English, I have no vocabulary of gardening, but technical English, but I think I can get it right).
Best regards and congratulations to Mel for your work!
Vale

Tengo un pequeño patio / jardín. Solía cultivar un huerto del pie cuadrado de mi cemento. Me encanta la mezcla de Mel es grande.
SanDiegoUrbanGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 10/10/2010, 4:47 pm

Hello:

I celebrated my 25th wedding anniversary in Buenos Aires! It's a wonderful city.

Everyone. You can get a "literal" translation at www.babelfish.yahoo.com. It will give you an idea of what is being said until someone translates.

Kim

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? Empty Welcome!

Post  ander217 10/10/2010, 9:58 pm

Hola, Vale,

Yo hablo muy poco Espanol, pero Bienvenido!

I live in the state of Missouri in the Upper South region of the US. We have hot, humid summers here. I have found with growing tomatoes and other vegetables, some varieties do better than others, so you might want to experiment with different ones to find out which works best in your growing conditions.

glad you\'re here

ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? Empty hola!

Post  valelab 10/11/2010, 1:53 am

Hola!
Gracias por la bienvenida!
creo que he entendido todos los mensajes!
Conte en el otro mensaje (intenté hablar en Inglés!) que no he terminado aún de leer el libro; vi más adelante una foto o dibujo de una señora en silla de ruedas, con su cuadrado elevado, como sobre una mesa... Creo que en mi techo tengo que ponerle patas, pero buscar la forma de que las patas no presionen todo el peso sobre poca superficie, porque va a mover las baldosas y va a entrar el agua; mi casa es de ladrillos.
El techo debe tener membrana impermeabilizante (y repasarla anualmente), porque una filtración traería consecuencias malas.

Tengo un pequeño cantero en mi patio (el patio mide 3 x 4 m, tiene sombra la mayor parte del día, y en invierno, todo el día), de unos 40 cm de ancho, sobre dos de las paredes, pero ahí ya cuando me mudé había, bien crecidos un enorme rosal, un níspero (que este año está dando hermosos nísperos!), un ficus y 3 parras (vides) de uva blanca, que tienen poca fuerza (a estas las plantamos nosotros); probé de plantar tomates y arvejas, pero se llenaron de bichos (unas manchas blancas, y unas telarañas con arañitas rojas), así que deje de plantar otras cosas.

Ahora quiero aprovechar el lugar y plantar verduras, para tener verduras frescas, al menos un poco; tienen otro sabor!
Los domingos y feriados (mañana es feriado) prometí a mi familia no conectarme a Internet, así que tardaré en contestar.
Trataré de buscar las fotos de la persona que hizo el jardín cuadrado en la terraza, a ver si se me ocurren buenas palabras en inglés.
Gracias nuevamente, y la seguimos!
Val

PS: he buscado...
Son éstas?
www . flickr.com/photos/johanne_daoust/4882427607/
valelab
valelab

Back to top Go down

Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? Empty Table top gardening

Post  ander217 10/11/2010, 8:19 am

(Thank goodness for translate.google.com)

Hola, Vale,
Si desea obtener más información acerca de la jardinería de mesa, Boffer es nuestro experto. Probablemente se le puede decir cuánto pesan, y podría ser capaz de pensar de una manera de evitar que se desplazan sus azulejos del techo. También puede utilizar la función de búsqueda para el tablero de la mesa o la jardinería TT para aprender más.

(Hello, Vale,
If you want to learn more about table top gardening, Boffer is our expert. He can probably tell you how much they weigh, and might be able to think of a way to keep them from displacing your roof tiles. You can also use the search feature for table top or TT gardening to learn more.)
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? Empty hi again

Post  valelab 2/4/2016, 12:34 am

hi, I was planting some food in my roof from last year and sometimes it went fine.
I´ll try to post some pics soon.
Not square garden, only pots. There is a lot of sun out there. Thats a problem.
I started to study gardening 3 weeks ago. Let´s see...
valelab
valelab

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/4/2016, 2:29 am

Hi, Vale. happy hi Yes, we love photos.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/4/2016, 8:14 am

Hi Valelab. Welcome (back) from Atlanta, GA! Glad you've decided to look us up again.

Pots are good too! Many of us use pots & buckets in addition to SFG.

Can't wait to see your garden!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/4/2016, 7:08 pm

Hola, Vale! glad you are gardening! containers are very versatile, and great for Square Foot Gardening! pictures, please!? Edit

contenta esté haciendo jardinería ! contenedores son muy versátiles , y grande para pies cuadrados de jardinería ! fotos, poor favor?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 2/9/2016, 6:23 pm

Hola Vale!

Hay miembros del grupo que utilizan sus techos para plantar vegetales etcétera.  En particular hay un miembro que vive en la China que se le ocurrió aprovechar  unas cajas desechables para plantar sus matitas.  El Sr. usa el apodo "escaped lunatic".  No recuerdo ahora si él nos mostró fotos de su huerta, pero a lo mejor vale la pena darle un vistazo.  Lo bueno que tiene este sistema de jardinería es que se puede adaptar a muchas situaciones.

Has leído el libro que escribió Mel?  Creo que la edición en español utiliza el concepto de "metros cuadrados" en vez de "pies cuadrados".

En realidad no importa el tamaño del pote o de la huerta, asi que cuando puedas muéstranos unas fotos de tu techo-jardín y te podremos ayudar.

Saludos,

-Molly

P.D.: Vivi un tiempo en Buenos Aires también en Encarnación y después en Asunción, Paraguay.  Recuerdo que el sol puede ser bien fuerte especialmente si estas tratando de crecer plantas en un techo.  A nuestra moderadora Sanderson le pasa algo por el estilo en California; si ella no toma precauciones el sol le quema todas sus matas.  Cuando puedas dale un vistazo a su jardin a ver qué te parece.

Last edited by mollyhespra on 2/9/2016, 6:43 pm; edited 7 times in total
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 2/9/2016, 6:31 pm

(I bet you guys didn't know I spoke Spanish fluently did you?) 

Okay so as not to leave anybody out of the conversation, I told Vale about the rooftop garden of one of our members and also encouraged her to check out Sandersons shading contraptions and to read the book if she hasn't.  I also  mentioned that I lived for a time in her neck of the woods.  Smile
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/9/2016, 8:27 pm

Thank you translating!

Side subject: Any one else speak another language? No, Plantoid, you do not speak a foreign language! Razz

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/9/2016, 8:41 pm

mollyhespra wrote:(I bet you guys didn't know I spoke Spanish fluently did you?) 

Okay so as not to leave anybody out of the conversation, I told Vale about the rooftop garden of one of our members and also encouraged her to check out Sandersons shading contraptions and to read the book if she hasn't.  I also  mentioned that I lived for a time in her neck of the woods.  Smile

This sounds stupid, but I read it better than I speak it. I understood your discussion of her rooftop situation, similar to Escaped Lunatic! And you were In Paraguay got the Asuncion? What is that, Molly!?

We are a pretty cool bunch here!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 2/9/2016, 10:47 pm

Asuncion is the capital city of Paraguay. I lived in a few different places/towns in Paraguay & Argentina for a year when I was a teenager. albino
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/9/2016, 10:58 pm

Very cool!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/10/2016, 2:31 am

sanderson wrote:Thank you translating!

Side subject:  Any one else speak another language?  No, Plantoid, you do not speak a foreign language! Razz

I speak American gardening Very Happy
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/11/2016, 1:20 pm

has55 wrote:
sanderson wrote:Thank you translating!

Side subject:  Any one else speak another language?  No, Plantoid, you do not speak a foreign language! Razz

I speak American gardening Very Happy
When I first met my DH we tried to learn Esperanto, the artificial language that was to unite the world.  We got as far as chapter five in the Teach Yourself books and I am afraid it has not united the World.  I think SFG is doing a much better job.

When we first came to Canada, it was my intention to learn French but that did not work out either as French on TV was immediately dubbed in English or sub-titled. Mad

Anyway, glad you\'re here (HOLA) valeab happy hi after your six-year absence.
Kelejan  :canada: from British Columbia, Canada.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Argentina, quien esta siguiendo este metodo? Empty Bienvenido

Post  Windmere 2/11/2016, 1:47 pm

Hola.  Bienvenido a este foro. Estoy 50 por ciento de hispanos y hablo español conversacional. Puedo entender mejor que yo puedo hablar. Como se puede ver, hay muchas personas aquí que son muy útiles. Estoy empezando mi cuarta temporada con este método y he tenido éxito con él. Le deseo mucho éxito y disfrute de su tiempo aquí. Estamos aquí para ayudar con nuestra experiencia personal.

Hello.  Welcome to this forum.  I am 50 percent Hispanic and I speak conversational Spanish.  I can understand it better than I can speak it.  As you can see, there are many folks here who are very helpful.  I am beginning my fourth season using this method and I've had success with it.  I wish you much success and please enjoy your time here.  We are here to help with our personal experience.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum