Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What I learned from my corn experiment Toplef10What I learned from my corn experiment 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What I learned from my corn experiment I22gcj10What I learned from my corn experiment 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What I learned from my corn experiment Toplef10What I learned from my corn experiment 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What I learned from my corn experiment I22gcj10What I learned from my corn experiment 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What I learned from my corn experiment

+2
boffer
RoonieRoo
6 posters

Go down

What I learned from my corn experiment Empty What I learned from my corn experiment

Post  RoonieRoo 10/3/2010, 2:51 pm

I just want to share what I learned from my first time growing corn. I'm outside Austin, so this is my fall crop that I planted at the end of July/beginning of August. We've just started to eat the mature ears these past couple of weeks.

When I was researching before planting, I read some conflicting thoughts on spacing for the corn in SFG. I have a variety that is supposed to get to 7' which should be 1 per square foot. But I wanted to see if I could put 2 in to make a more solid block for better pollination.

I grew/am growing Vision super sweet corn.

1) For 7' variety, do 1 per square foot. The squares that have one stalk have a much thicker, taller corn stalk. The ears are larger and some have more than one ear per stalk.
2) The squares with two stalks, are putting on ears and they are nice tasting and fully pollinating BUT the ears are definitely smaller (cob is slimmer) and the stalk is only putting on one good ear.
3) For the ones we've eaten, when I pull up the stalk, the roots are definitely deeper, thicker on the one per square stalk. Logical and not surprising.

For the spring crop, I'm going to stick to 1 per square.

Oh and since this is the first time I've tried corn. I have to tell you that I've never tasted such sweet and amazing corn in my life. OMGosh! This has been the best corn I've ever had and my husband has said that he wants me to plug corn into the garden plan every chance I can.
RoonieRoo
RoonieRoo

Female Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

What I learned from my corn experiment Empty Re: What I learned from my corn experiment

Post  boffer 10/3/2010, 3:49 pm

RoonieRoo wrote:Oh and since this is the first time I've tried corn. I have to tell you that I've never tasted such sweet and amazing corn in my life. OMGosh! This has been the best corn I've ever had and my husband has said that he wants me to plug corn into the garden plan every chance I can.

Thanks for sharing. That is the only reason for growing corn in my opinion. I think a lot of folks don't know what fresh corn really tastes like.

After looking at the root systems of long season corn, I plant one per square also. I haven't tried the short season corn, so I don't know about them.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

What I learned from my corn experiment Empty Re: What I learned from my corn experiment

Post  Chopper 10/3/2010, 4:00 pm

Aha! I planted 4 per sf and I did have what to me were surprisingly small ears. Excellent info.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 10/3/2010, 4:11 pm

Same here. I blamed it on the fact that I planted them a bit too late, they got too much shade, and I had a short season variety which said they had smaller ears.

SO..........that is some good information. Thanks bunchs.

The two ears that I did get tasted fantastic. And my DH who has not eaten corn on the cob in the 40 years we have been married, tried one. He was stunned. His words were...."Does corn on the cob always taste like that????" LOL!

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 10/3/2010, 4:19 pm

Y'all are making me want to try growing corn! I had one summer in the Mt. Vernon area of Washington state and ate fresh corn at least once a day when it was in season. That was the best corn I have ever eaten.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 10/3/2010, 4:28 pm

Well heck, Elie, if I can grow two ears here in Canada in a Zone 3b where everyone tells me you can't grow corn, then you ought to be able to grow at least that much where you are.

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 10/3/2010, 6:37 pm

I already decided that I was going to plant corn every month that I could - I figured a little corner of each box of 4 squares. So that would be 4 squares in Mar - July. And since Sept is always super hot, I may try to sneak in an August planting.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 10/4/2010, 2:55 am

Thanks for the info! I want to plant corn next year and now I know how to do it!
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down