Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Canada - October Garden Toplef10Canada - October Garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Canada - October Garden I22gcj10Canada - October Garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Canada - October Garden Toplef10Canada - October Garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Canada - October Garden I22gcj10Canada - October Garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Seedling Identification
by markqz Today at 20:14

» Maybe a silly question but...
by aadams43 Today at 18:36

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 13:14

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 08:22

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 06:50

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 02:13

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 22:13

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 21:49

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 21:25

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 15:17

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 2024-04-16, 05:04

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 2024-04-16, 01:22

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 2024-04-16, 01:15

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 2024-04-15, 11:37

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 2024-04-15, 11:33

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 2024-04-15, 06:26

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 2024-04-13, 14:50

» Companion planting
by sanderson 2024-04-13, 13:24

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 2024-04-13, 13:16

» California's Drought
by sanderson 2024-04-10, 10:43

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 2024-04-08, 20:40

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 2024-04-08, 19:28

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 2024-04-07, 08:41

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 2024-04-05, 19:30

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 2024-04-05, 13:08

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 2024-04-04, 11:58

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 2024-04-04, 10:24

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 2024-04-04, 10:09

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 2024-04-04, 04:50

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 2024-04-01, 15:05

Google

Search SFG Forum

Canada - October Garden

4 posters

Go down

Canada - October Garden Empty Canada - October Garden

Post  Blackrose 2010-10-02, 17:52

Hello my fellow Canadians!

I can't believe it's October already. Of course, being in the Great White North, it won't be long until we all get our first frost. How is everyone's garden doing? Has anyone packed it in for the season yet? Anyone trying to extend their growing season as long as possible? What are your late harvests?

I have one eggplant growing on the plant right now. I'm hoping it gets big enough before the frost hits here. My broccoli that I planted in the spring and never really did anything is finally starting to get bigger and has started growing new leaves. I'm going to leave it as long as possible to see if I get anything out of it. I'm waiting until after our first frost to harvest my carrots. Should I cover my SFG now or wait until there is a risk of frost?
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Canada - October Garden Empty Re: Canada - October Garden

Post  boffer 2010-10-02, 18:37

Blackrose wrote: Should I cover my SFG now or wait until there is a risk of frost?

Frosts will make your carrots sweeter, and they can handle mild freezing a time or two. I don't know how much frost broccoli can handle.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2010-10-02, 22:58

Blackrose wrote:Hello my fellow Canadians!

I can't believe it's October already. Of course, being in the Great White North, it won't be long until we all get our first frost. How is everyone's garden doing? Has anyone packed it in for the season yet? Anyone trying to extend their growing season as long as possible? What are your late harvests?

LOL! Here in central British Columbia we had our first frost almost a month ago....about the 8th of Sept. to be exact. We have had a couple of weeks of frost every night. The coldest so far has been -5C. I have been covering my precious tomatoes on the nights when the forecast is for +2 or lower. But lately we have had a streak of over a week of beautiful weather with almost no frost. So I am glad I left them out. They are really starting to ripen fast now with the extra sunshine and they taste SOOO good. The strawberries are still blooming and producing. Go figure. I have a cover I scrounged from a building here that is being renovated. Since they seem so bent on producing I may just throw it over the strawberries for a few weeks to see what happens. The morning it was -5C they were all frosty and I figured they had had it. But as soon as the sun burned off the fog and the frost they were fine. Thursday when I got home from work I picked two handfuls of them and there are still more. My fall radish crop is coming along slowly but is nothing to brag about for sure.

I have put a lot of the garden to bed already. I've harvested all the onions, dug the potatoes and planted a couple of kinds of garlic besides supermarket garlic. The beets didn't amount to anything at all and I have left the carrots in the ground for a couple more weeks yet. They don't need to be covered as the frost doesn't hurt them. I leave them in until the ground just starts to freeze. They are sweeter that way.

Something new I am trying this year is planting a manure crop. I planted Hairy Vetch in the potato patch. It is supposed to put lots of nitrogen in the soil as well as organic material when you till it under in spring. I planted it a week ago but so far nothing has sprouted. We will see how this turns out.

Yesterday after I got home from work I raked all the leaves and bagged them. When I put my roses to bed I will use some of the shredded leaves for mulch around them and other tender perennials. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I will screen the compost and put it in buckets so it will be ready when I make my new batches of MM. Then I can start layering stuff in the bins to start the composting process again before winter sets in.

Still have lots of things to do...bulbs to plant, the shed to clean out, etc. etc.

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 2010-10-03, 05:08

boffer wrote:Frosts will make your carrots sweeter, and they can handle mild freezing a time or two. I don't know how much frost broccoli can handle.

I'd be interested to find out about the broccoli. I'll do some research online. I also have a lettuce mix, radishes and beets in my SFG. They are all cool weather crops too, right? So, they should be ok. I'm hoping they at least start doing some growing soon. Something munched them right after they sprouted, but I'm hoping with the cooler weather the pests will die down too and they may have a fighting chance.

Wow GK, you always impress me when you are describing your SFG. Have you figured out how to post pics yet? I'd love to see some. Very Happy
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2010-10-03, 08:45

Old Hippie wrote:Something new I am trying this year is planting a manure crop. I planted Hairy Vetch in the potato patch.

I do hope you mean a compost or cover crop.... the mental image that phrase created was quite interesting! Wink
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2010-10-03, 08:48

Don't be too impressed. I talk better than I garden. LOL!

I did actually learn how to download pics from my camera to my computer and then post them. I did post some too. So very proud of myself for that. Very Happy

Check out this thread for a few of them.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/general-sfg-talk-f5/cold-t4137.htm?highlight=cold

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2010-10-03, 09:03

Megan wrote:
Old Hippie wrote:Something new I am trying this year is planting a manure crop. I planted Hairy Vetch in the potato patch.

I do hope you mean a compost or cover crop.... the mental image that phrase created was quite interesting! Wink

LOLOL! Yes, whenever I read that in Mother Earth News or some other gardening publication, it always conjures up images of huge fields of cow pies or horse apples. Sometimes it is called a "green manure crop" instead of a cover crop but again that brings back some pretty graphic images from time spent on my grandparents' farm as a child What a Face. Perhaps it is referred to as green manure, as opposed to animal manure, because it is basically just grown to put nutrients back into the soil.

To avoid any further disturbing images to anyone, I will only call it a 'cover crop' from now on. Wink

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 2010-10-03, 09:12

Yep, I grew up across the lane from two dairy farms, and we had horses. I know all about pies and apples, lol. (Of course, my next question for you was going to be, how do you know when your manure crop is ripe? Oh, it just goes on and on.... Laughing)

I do find your posts very entertaining and also quite educational, too, GK. I grew up in northern New England; not quite the same I know, but enough similarities that I feel a sense of being there when you discuss growing things that far north.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 2010-10-03, 09:16

Megan wrote:(Of course, my next question for you was going to be, how do you know when your manure crop is ripe? Oh, it just goes on and on.... Laughing)

By the smell!!!!!!! lol!

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down