Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Prepping my beds for winter's rest. Toplef10Prepping my beds for winter's rest. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Prepping my beds for winter's rest. I22gcj10Prepping my beds for winter's rest. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Prepping my beds for winter's rest. Toplef10Prepping my beds for winter's rest. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Prepping my beds for winter's rest. I22gcj10Prepping my beds for winter's rest. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Prepping my beds for winter's rest.

2 posters

Go down

Prepping my beds for winter's rest. Empty Prepping my beds for winter's rest.

Post  quiltbea 9/27/2010, 9:51 pm

I started getting some of my beds ready for winter. I had planned to bury some old dry leaves from last year in the bottom of each square, but the old back was acting up and that wasn't possible.
Instead I raked out the old, dead plants and weeds, raked the soil smooth, scattered amendments as needed (lime in the brassica beds) and greesand in the others along with alfalfa pellets. I figure the alfalfa can't hurt.
Prepping my beds for winter's rest. 09-26-10
Here's one bed with alfalfa and greensand.
Prepping my beds for winter's rest. 09-26-11
After raking in the amendments into the top 2" of soil, I broadcasted winter rye on top of the soil, then raked that in lightly and tamped down the soil with the back of my rake and watered the beds. This is my green manure crop. It will grow a bit before winter and in the spring I'll rake it under and add composted manures.
Prepping my beds for winter's rest. 09-26-12
This is a view of 3 of my beds all prepped. I'm leaving the marigold in and the tomatoes that are still producing, along with the lemon balm and rosemary plants. I figure I can prep the squares themselves when the plants are removed to the compost heap. The parsnips are in another bed not shown along with determinate Oregon Spring tomatoes that are reproducing for fall.
Next year I will put the brassicas intermingled with the other plants. That way I hope to be able to keep rotating crops without having to think about it.
As I've said before, we learn something new every year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Prepping my beds for winter's rest. Empty Re: Prepping my beds for winter's rest.

Post  Old Hippie 9/27/2010, 11:32 pm

Looking good! What does the greensand do? Is it better to put lime down now or in the spring? Does the alfalfa just put nitrogen in the soil? Do you just use alfalfa pellets like you get at the pet store or what?

Last week I prepped the potato patch and planted some vetch as a green manure crop. I have never tried that before. Yesterday I prepped some of my beds as well. Got my herb bed all done and two others. I pulled up the sunflowers and chopped them up for compost. Also pulled all the beets which didn't amount to anything at all for some reason. The carrots I am still leaving in as well as the chard. They are still doing well and so are the strawberries. I pulled all the onions and planted some garlic. I had planned on doing more today but it rained non stop. Tomorrow it is back to work. It is supposed to be nice later this week and there is no frost in the forecast for the rest of the week either. Perhaps I can get a couple of hours worth of work in after I get home from work a couple of evenings.

This time of year is sort of bittersweet. I hate to have the growing season come to an end but of course harvesting is cool. And I do enjoy the way everything looks when it all ready for winter.

Hope the back doesn't give you too much trouble.

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Prepping my beds for winter's rest. Empty Re: Prepping my beds for winter's rest.

Post  quiltbea 9/28/2010, 11:51 am

Greensand is a natural organic Potash and is good for stems, roots and fruiting. I'm adding some for the fall prep but it can be added before the spring planting instead. A light feeding is 5 lbs per 100 Sq Feet. This year, I just broadcast a little by hand around the beds in the fall.

I use the alfalfa pellets that I bought from the feed store (yes, they feed it to horses, cows, etc) because I figure if mulching with hay can be so beneficial to soil after it breaks down, then the alfalfa itself can't hurt.

I like to add some limestone to the beds in fall, especially where brassicas have grown to prevent any spread of clubroot from those plants. I also toss the roots of brassicas in the trash and not the compost bin. Clubroot is a disease I don't want in my garden.

Since I had planted my brassicas in separate beds, I thought they needed some extra limestone this fall.

I really wish I could have added the dried leaves to the beds. The dried leaves are great feeding grounds for worms and those castings are so beneficial to any garden. Just putting a couple handsful in the bottom of each square would be great for any garden. When the rains stop I hope my back is better so I can do that for the beds that haven't yet been prepped.

In spring I put a handful of limestone in the bottom of each square when planting a brassica, like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli. It helps prevent clubroot, a disease deadly to current brassicas and future brassicas.

This is just my personal planning and tips taken from other garden books, especially from Bob Thomsen of Victory Garden. Mel , Bob and Eliot Coleman/Barbara Damrosch are my garden gurus. My garden did very well this year considering I didn't have the volume of compost or manure I wanted. Next year more of that is in the planning.

quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum