Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Produce Greenhouse SFG - Page 8 Toplef10Tomato Produce Greenhouse SFG - Page 8 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Produce Greenhouse SFG - Page 8 I22gcj10Tomato Produce Greenhouse SFG - Page 8 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tomato Produce Greenhouse SFG - Page 8 Toplef10Tomato Produce Greenhouse SFG - Page 8 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tomato Produce Greenhouse SFG - Page 8 I22gcj10Tomato Produce Greenhouse SFG - Page 8 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tomato Produce Greenhouse SFG

+23
happyfrog
pattipan
WardinWake
outsideasy
PNG_Grandma
Squat_Johnson
Odd Duck
sjfrunner
Jay Bird
shinjite
Old Hippie
Furbalsmom
acara
sceleste54
camprn
Chopper
junequilt
newgloves
Ha-v-v
boffer
Megan
Garden Angel
CarolynPhillips
27 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Tomato Produce Greenhouse SFG - Page 8 Empty Re: Tomato Produce Greenhouse SFG

Post  CarolynPhillips 12/14/2010, 2:27 pm

i posted a pic, i dont see it though. hm

this is a different one. It has soil splashed up on it. kindly dirty. I'll eat that one. Very Happy

Tomato Produce Greenhouse SFG - Page 8 100_0412
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 12/14/2010, 2:46 pm

You can send that dirty one to me, just leave it on the vine a few more days and then mail it. hungry Should be nice and pink/red by the time I receive it.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 12/15/2010, 5:36 pm

I think I read that you can wrap green tomatoes and put them in a root cellar and then pull them out and ripen them as you want to eat them, but I can't remember where I read it. That doesn't help when it's on a massive scale, but it's an idea to consider for salvaging some of them if you have a really cold snap.
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  outsideasy 12/15/2010, 8:25 pm

Carolyn, I just wanted you to know that I 'm going to try growing tomatos your way and with all the information you have given I think I can do it. Normally I just buy a tomato, put it in the ground with a cage around it, that's it. Pinching and training it to go up a twine is totally new to me. With the little space I have behind our mobile home I should be able to have more plants in the same space where I normally plant 4 toms. I want to make a 4 poster peeler post frame (that way it will sit on top of the ground and be 8ft tall) to hang the twine. I can then cut it to fit the area I have for them. I think this is a big Thank You for your posts with all this great information.
Al okay
outsideasy

Male Posts : 103

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 12/16/2010, 2:05 pm

Your welcome Al. Glad I had helpful post.

I have grown the toms outside using the same method. Down here where there is a lot of humidity---it helps to space the vines out so they get more air circulation instead of one big cluttered plant full of fungus. And it doesn't take as much time as most fear to prune the vines every few days or at least once a week. (on a home gardeners scale) I have a new bed that I am working on in my back yard. It is 16 inches wide and 20 feet long. (16inch cause i use concrete cinder blocks) .. It won't produce commercial size production but will produce plenty for me to can tomatoes. About 20 single vines with at least 6 clusters each vine and each cluster can be estimated to be one quart jar of toms. Thats a lot of quarts. We can use at least 75 quarts a year plus all the summer slicing we can handle. I was writing a book about tomatoes, but lost it in a fire. I don't have the heart to start over.--------but the title was "Tomatoes" "A Gardeners Obsession" . I wish I had all the pictures I use to have. I had pictures of growing toms in every fashion you could dream of.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 12/16/2010, 5:46 pm

Wow, that IS a lot of quarts. Shocked

CarolynPhillips wrote:I was writing a book about tomatoes, but lost it in a fire. I don't have the heart to start over.--------but the title was "Tomatoes" "A Gardeners Obsession" . I wish I had all the pictures I use to have. I had pictures of growing toms in every fashion you could dream of.

Sad Hearing that just breaks my heart, Carolyn. I hope one day that writing will appeal to you again.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  outsideasy 12/16/2010, 11:11 pm

Carolyn, I'm sorry you lost your first edition but hope something will inspire you to begin the rewrite of the first edition and make it even better. Photos can be acquired over time and new illustrations may inspire new thoughts and ways to express them. I for one believe you love what you do and the passion is obvious, please give it some time and find the heart and begin again, the title is perfect and the story is worthy, you should tell it your way!
outsideasy

Male Posts : 103

Back to top Go down

Tomato Produce Greenhouse SFG - Page 8 Empty saving tomatoes

Post  ander217 1/1/2011, 10:10 am

miinva wrote:I think I read that you can wrap green tomatoes and put them in a root cellar and then pull them out and ripen them as you want to eat them, but I can't remember where I read it. That doesn't help when it's on a massive scale, but it's an idea to consider for salvaging some of them if you have a really cold snap.

You don't have to have a root cellar, Miinva. I picked the last of my green tomatoes on Nov. 4 when a freeze was forecast. I simply placed two layers in a cardboard box with layers of paper towels between. (Newspaper would have been better but didn't have any at the time.) I covered the top with more paper towels and placed the box in our garage. It is insulated but unheated. (My grandmother used to ripen hers in an unheated spare bedroom.)

The tomatoes have been slowly ripening, and we had fresh tomatoes for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and we still have a few left, one of which will accompany our traditional southern New Year's Day meal of hog jowl, blackeyed peas, and cabbage later today.

The tomatoes aren't as good as vine ripened but they are more flavorful than anything available in the stores. This is the latest we've ever managed to keep tomatoes, thanks to our unusually warm fall weather which extended the harvest.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7