Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky) Toplef10Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky) I22gcj10Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky) Toplef10Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky) I22gcj10Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky)

+4
chocolatepop
martha
Megan
Zephyros
8 posters

Go down

Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky) Empty Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky)

Post  Zephyros 8/28/2010, 11:44 am

Hi,

I've got a tip for people who are growing tomato's and have no time to make all these soficticated trellies. Maybe it is usefull for people that grow other climbing veggies to (maybe not for pumpkins) In english, I find this under spiral tomato stake. I would describe it as an iron bamboo stick that is not straight but curled. You put it next to your tomato plant, and as it grows, it grows between the curls, supporting the plant. So you don't have to tie it up. And it works really well. The past week we had heavy rain in the Netherland, and the tomatoes where still standing proudly in the garden.
Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky) SpiralTomatoStake
Zephyros
Zephyros

Back to top Go down

Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky) Empty Re: Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky)

Post  Megan 8/29/2010, 10:07 am

Thanks Zephyros! I have seen a few posts about tomato spirals here on the forum, looks really interesting. My problem is that even my 6.5 foot trellis appears to be too short for my tomatoes!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky) Empty Re: Tip for tomato growers (maybe usefull for other veggies that go high in the sky)

Post  martha 8/30/2010, 5:59 pm

How tall are the spirals? I definitely had a problem with my supports not being tall enough. Some of my tomatoes bent and carried on, some of them bent and broke.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephyros 8/31/2010, 2:35 pm

I think there are different lengths. The ones I saw, and the ones that are here, are approximally 1.70 cm. Maybe you feed your tomatoes to well, Very Happy because here, the tomatoes are still shorter than the spiral (I think they have 20 cm left, and it doesn't look like they going to growing a lot untill the end of season, but I might be wrong).
Zephyros
Zephyros

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 8/31/2010, 5:12 pm

I hope you meant 170 cm? Smile Talk about dwarf tomatoes! rofl

My tomatoes are over 200 cm tall and still growing. Perhaps yours are determinant variety? Mine are all indeterminate.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephyros 9/1/2010, 6:19 am

It is a new type. Here in the Netherlands they try to make everything dwarf sized (I don't know why because people here are quit tall) Very Happy No I am kidding. I meant 1.70 m or 170 cm
Zephyros
Zephyros

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 9/1/2010, 11:21 am

I am also wondering if it is 170cm before shoving it into the ground? What is the length after?

I know I have some tomatoes plants that are pushing 365.8 cm!
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  herbarium 9/1/2010, 11:32 am

I love the spirals! I like Mel's trellis idea better but the spirals are second. I usually end up using both due to deciding to plant more tomatoes.
herbarium

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 150

http://gardeninspire.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephyros 9/1/2010, 2:56 pm

170 cm is the total length of the thing. I think what is left might be... 140-150 cm? I am not really well in guessing lengths of something. Your tomatoes are really huge. The ones over here and the ones my mom is growing, aren't that tall. They are still shorter than the spirals
Zephyros
Zephyros

Back to top Go down

Post  greenfingers 9/2/2010, 12:28 am

Our spirals in New Zealand are just on 6 foot in length with 1 foot straight for inserting into the soil leaving 5 feet usable.You need to go beyond the depth of Mel's mix for stability.You twist the vine around the spiral as it grows.Bean would run up without assistance.Have only used on tomatoes.
greenfingers

Male Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 9/2/2010, 4:58 am

Hi, Zephyros (welcome to the forum, by the way!)-- I can get spirals here in France that are 2m AFTER they're stuck in the ground.

My moneymaker tomatoes are well past the end, but are so well-supported that they're still doing well.

I had to brace two of mine yesterday, just because the weight of the fruit makes them lean precariously...but I had some spirals from other plants, so just made a modified pyramid, and they're standing up straight now...
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephyros 9/2/2010, 3:55 pm

Than there must be a spiral for everyone. I found some colored ones too somewhere. I think when these are used more, more different lenghts will be sold.
Zephyros
Zephyros

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/2/2010, 7:39 pm

I have never seen any but would love to give them a try. Hopefully they will become widely available here soon.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum