Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
worst garden pest you have encountered? - Page 3 Toplef10worst garden pest you have encountered? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

worst garden pest you have encountered? - Page 3 I22gcj10worst garden pest you have encountered? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
worst garden pest you have encountered? - Page 3 Toplef10worst garden pest you have encountered? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

worst garden pest you have encountered? - Page 3 I22gcj10worst garden pest you have encountered? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

worst garden pest you have encountered?

+32
sanderson
Cajun Cappy
TCgardening
FRED58
Goosegirl
yolos
mapspringer
Razed Bed
CapeCoddess
kiwirose
miinva
Old Hippie
kimbertangleknot
quiltbea
FarmerValerie
Odd Duck
Megan
Lavender Debs
acara
LaFee
marinal
Weedless_
ander217
chocolatepop
Aub
Bec
Squat_Johnson
junequilt
elliephant
pattipan
Chopper
ribsyhuggins
36 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

worst garden pest you have encountered? - Page 3 Empty Re: worst garden pest you have encountered?

Post  Cajun Cappy 4/28/2015, 12:12 pm

This is an easy one to answer.  The worst garden pest at our house is Peg my wife. Razz  year round she is out most days at least 6 times a day for one made up excuse or another snacking on the stuff in the yard.  Many a time I have called her from work on the boat to hear munch munch snark snurf snurf swallow on the phone.  What ya doing Sha I'd ask.  Just going to the mail box she would say.  Of course that meant she had taken a circuitous route through the garden boxes by way of the fruit trees on the way to the mail box.  Yesterday between monsoons she donned her crocs and waded out to the asparagus patch.  She came back with 6 0r 8 nice ones.  I asked Peg is that all they had?  Expecting more.  She said ohhh no, there was a good bunch I picked them on the way to the mail box. Laughing
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

worst garden pest you have encountered? - Page 3 Empty Re: worst garden pest you have encountered?

Post  sanderson 4/28/2015, 12:24 pm

Cappy Razz

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Bart 6/10/2015, 8:07 pm

The worst pest I've encountered so far are Japanese Beatles. Not so much for what they've done to the SFG plants, but for what they are doing to my roses. Without a doubt, they are the worst.
Bart
Bart

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/10/2015, 9:06 pm

Bart....I agree.  I put in a whole row of lavender roses along the front of the house and before the season was done, they pretty much devoured the young plants.  In fact, they are decimating all my roses slowly but surely in the last 4 years even tho I would go out twice a day with my jar of soapy water to knock then in and get rid of them.  I can't keep up with them.  I tried that stuff you put in the soil with the lavender roses and that didn't work.  I'm defeated so as the last of the roses gets destroyed, I'll put in some other perennials to replace the roses.  I just can't fight them any longer.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Razed Bed 6/10/2015, 11:59 pm

Another very bad pest is the dreaded meter reader who is as dumb as a doorknob and cares not where he steps.  I find that the best pesticide for this pest is one from Acme Supply:

worst garden pest you have encountered? - Page 3 Yosemite-Sam-holding-two-big-guns
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  Bart 6/13/2015, 6:19 pm

Quiltbea, try a combination of Neem Oil sprayed on all parts of the roses. And Milky Spore on the ground around where the Japanses beetles are coming from. The Neem has keep the leaves from being eaten, but the flowers are still getting munched, but at a much slower rate. The Neem seems to be getting to the beetles. And the Milky Spore in a year or two, it takes that long to effect the grub stage of the little bastards, will also reduce the beetles. So, the roses my get effected a little, but at least they won't be totally destroyed.
Bart
Bart

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/13/2015, 6:55 pm

Thanks Bart for the info.  I tried the Milky Spore stuff (expensive by the way) a few years back and it didn't seem to slow them down.  But I never tried Neem Oil in combination with it which must have made the difference.

I may have 3 rose bushes left out of around 3 dozen so when those are gone, they'll be gone.  I'll grow something less troublesome for this old lady.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/13/2015, 7:20 pm

What ever is used, do it when the bees are back home, and it's shady so they won't burn. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/13/2015, 9:22 pm

Razed Bed wrote:Another very bad pest is the dreaded meter reader who is as dumb as a doorknob and cares not where he steps.  I find that the best pesticide for this pest is one from Acme Supply:

worst garden pest you have encountered? - Page 3 Yosemite-Sam-holding-two-big-guns
Can I borrow him for the guys laying the new fiberoptic cables to upgrade the internet service in the area?  Our entire town is getting dug up in little spurts, and just about everyone's lawn has areas where a trench has been dug, then the flap of grass layed back over the trench. Wouldn't be so bad if they would at least TRY to keep the area somewhat level with the rest of the lawn.....
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 6/15/2015, 2:08 pm

The worst pest has been the moles or voles.  An entire box of multiplier onions and hardneck garlic was wiped out after I planted them in late October.  Of course I didn't notice it until this spring.  Oh well, I planted more cole crops so maybe that is what I was supposed to do in the first place.  Now I need to pray that the cabbage moths don't show up.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/15/2015, 2:12 pm

Ditto the moles and voles.  Apparently, I have both.

Although I haven't lost much yet (although some bulbs have failed to re-appear, and something may have eaten some fruit tree roots), I'm wary and have spent a significant sum on ultrasonic rodent repellant devices.  My Siberian Forest Cat, Sterling, has caught 10 voles (I think) so far this season.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

worst garden pest you have encountered? - Page 3 Empty Nary a squash....

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/15/2015, 6:43 pm

Squash borers.  I have produced one year only of my beloved Patty Pan squash since moving here.....heartbreaking.  One of the biggest motivators for my return to SFGing!  So maybe I should thank them? Evil or Very Mad
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3