Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!) Toplef10Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!) I22gcj10Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!) Toplef10Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!) I22gcj10Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!)

5 posters

Go down

Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!) Empty Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!)

Post  Aub 8/11/2010, 12:22 am

So I'm very new to this whole SFG thing. So far so good. But I don't know poop about compost! I had my hubby put a compost area in my garden. It's like the one my dad had 25 years ago, 3 cement block sides and an open front and top.

What do I need to throw in my compost area? Right now it's just some grass clippings. We don't have leafy trees just pine trees and pine needles don't really do anything. We've had the same 3 foot pile of pine needles around the trees for 2 and a half years! Plus the bees like to make nests in them.

What are the "rules" for composting? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!) Empty Re: Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!)

Post  Wyldflower 8/11/2010, 12:45 am

There has been a lot of talk about what to put into our compost piles. One more recent discussion was in THIS THREAD. You'll find more if you use the search function in the left-hand column of this page.

I'm just about to 'build' a proper compost pile, too. I have the cement blocks that I'm taking down from my potato bed, and I'll make three sections along the back of my garage (concrete block construction) to turn the compost into.

I know one thing is to have a balance of 'greens' and 'browns'... if you don't have leaves, you may want to let some of the grass clippings dry out before adding to the compost pile... or see if a neighbor has leaves to 'donate'... or worst case scenario, buy some straw (not hay, which has lots of seeds) and add that for your 'browns'.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!) Empty Re: Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!)

Post  Chopper 8/11/2010, 12:48 am

See, this is how it starts. A simple idea to create a compost pile and next thing you know you are slamming on the brakes for discarded leaves and following horses in parades with a shovel and bucket.

There are a few threads on this subject already, and a google search (yahoo et al must hate that expression) for 'how to make compost' and you will learn more than you ever wanted to know. It is fun!

Some examples on this blog:
arguing over what to put in compost; compost questions and can I compost tissues
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub 8/11/2010, 12:55 am

Thanks all! I'm going to make a sign for the kitchen and one for the garden about what can and can not go in the pile.
I can foresee the number of trash bags we use decreasing quite a bit!
Aub
Aub

Back to top Go down

Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!) Empty Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!)

Post  junequilt 8/11/2010, 12:27 pm

One good thing to remember is that although you can't compost carnivore or omnivore poop, you can compost pee.

Seriously, urine is high-nitrogen and contains no pathogens, so it makes a great "green" for composting. DH gets a certain satisfaction out of contributing to the composting process. He can break down a bale of straw in nothing flat!

(I hope I haven't creeped you out by mentioning this, Aub, but I wasn't sure it had been brought up in any of the other composting threads and it can be quite valuable during times of year when greens are not readily available. Also, the thread topic made it irresistible).

Leaves are our first choice of browns for composting because the resulting compost seems to be the most nutritious. If we can't get our own leaves, we seek them from people who are not compost conscious. Chopper knows what I'm talking about, LOL! Just keep a box or trash bag and a pair of gloves in the trunk this fall, and you'll be bringing home the makings of black gold. We also like straw and cardboard. A good strong green will EAT cardboard!

We also like grass clippings and use them fresh as greens. We've even gotten great compost from just piling grass clippings and nothing else. It takes a while for them to break down entirely because they have a tendency to clump, but the inside of the pile gets HOT very quickly and stays that way for a long time.

Best of luck with your collecting! It will become compulsive . . . Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!) Icon_cool
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub 8/11/2010, 11:40 pm

My sisters both think I'm crazy for getting so excited about this stuff. I talk about SFG all the time and I'm so proud of my little garden!

I own a salon and all my clients are excited about my garden and they ask me about it all the time. I am going to bring some of the hair clippings home and toss that in the pile. I've been saving fruit and veggie scraps from the kitchen. You wouldn't believe the goodies I pulled out of the crisper (soggy) drawer!

How would you go about composting pee?! Never-mind. All I'm imagining is following the dogs around with a bucket. Although with 3 boys that love to pee on things I bet they would help out. Very Happy
Aub
Aub

Back to top Go down

Post  trukrebew 8/12/2010, 11:19 pm

Can we talk some poop? (well...Compost!) Lol I can see my 3 boys now, "Look, we wrote our names in the compost!"
trukrebew
trukrebew

Male Posts : 129

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum