Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 Toplef10Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 I22gcj10Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 Toplef10Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 I22gcj10Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Welcome Arizona SFGers!

+19
cbrose
middlemamma
Furbalsmom
Caren
jamom
AZDYJ2K
Tiredmamaof5
AZWoodWorker
mckr3441
randia
Russtang
dssawtelle
JeffUSA
corrermucho
duhh
luvs2garden
Arya
acturley
Sonoran Garden
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome Arizona SFGers!

Post  Furbalsmom 6/13/2011, 2:04 pm

Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 654548 Caren

Glad to have you here.

Have you had a chance to read ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING by Mel Bartholomew yet? It is great reading and provides simple instructions for following the SFG Method to build boxes, fill them with Mel's Mix and spacing for your veggies. It also give great information on starting your own transplants and providing protection from insects and aniumals.

Please keep us posted on your progress, ask questions and post photos if you can.

Again, Welcome!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 6/13/2011, 2:09 pm

Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 396615 Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 396615
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 6/13/2011, 2:26 pm

Welcome Caren!

It's great to have another "west sider" One here! Let me know if you need any thing or have any questions and I'll be happy to help as much as I can. I'm still learning too, but so far so good! You could still get in squash and pumpkins now if you wanted to start something, otherwise you can start prepping for fall planting in Sept/oct.

I like to check craigslist for cheap box building materials. Since you have some time, you might be able to find stuff for free or cheap.

Good luck!
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 Empty New to SFG

Post  cbrose 7/21/2011, 7:28 pm

I am in Benson, moved here 2 years ago from Minnesota (although I am a native California girl). We moved into our house this past April, and have been too busy getting things fixed up to do any real gardening. I have a potted tomato and 2 potted squash plants. I am really excited to get my boxes ready for fall planting.

After ready some of the posts, I have decided to go with 8" deep boxes instead of 6". I hope to keep some of the heat damage away from the plants next summer. I also plan to use shade cloth covers when the heat gets over 95 degrees. Does that sound about right?

Anyway, glad to be on the forum and look forward to southwest desert advice.

Cathy B What a Face
cbrose

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 7/22/2011, 1:33 am

Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 654548 cbrose

Glad to have you join us. Unfortunately, my climate is sooooooooo different from yours, I will not have much growing advice for you, but did want to welcome you to the forum.

I do know that some SW desert gardeners use deeper boxes and shadecloth, so that sounds like a good plan.
Have you read ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING yet? Another good read available on this forum is
HOW STRONG IS YOUR BACKBONE and will give you great information on composts and how to create great Mel's Mix.

Again, Welcome and hope you will keep us updated on your fall gardening.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K 7/22/2011, 4:56 pm

Welcome cbrose.

It doesn't hurt to go 8" deep and shade cloth is a good idea. Benson is not as intense as Phoenix in the summer so you should have an easier time with growing during the summer months. Good luck on your gardening.
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 Empty Hello from Mesa, AZ

Post  stuartinaz 4/28/2013, 12:29 am

Hello all!

I am a brand new square foot gardener. I am very excited about beginning this adventure. This will be my first time doing something like this, so I am looking for a great deal of support and help from this group!

We are putting in a 8 foot wide by 2 foot deep planter, and are looking to grow herbs and plants. Any suggestions on good plants to start with -- so I'll feel competent but still have to pay attention to it? Very Happy

Looking forward to hearing and talking with everybody!

Stuart
stuartinaz
stuartinaz

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 4/29/2013, 4:22 pm

stuartinaz,
Right now, it's time for basil, squash, melons, corn, beans.... Hope that helps! Good luck in your garden adventures!
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 Empty Here's Gunny in Yuma

Post  Gunny 5/1/2013, 11:28 am

Howdy All in AZ,
I just started in January with my Gardens. I am experimenting with different types to see what works best for me down here in Yuma. I have four 2' x 4' elevated beds and a 3' x 6' elevated bed plus some old horse feeders that I made into planters and am doing three sisters in there. I have used thule or whatever its called as insect netting and now as a shader for my smaller beds. I planted a lot of what normal gardeners do for a spring garden then found out that most of it dosen't get planted until Sept. down here. Am trying to grow some sweet potato slips right now, they seem to take forever to get beyond the sprout stage. If these don't do anything in the next week or so I am going to have to order some slips from far away. Am planning on using Native Seeds/Search out of Tuscon for my main gardens in the future because their products are adapted to the desert. It has been triple digit weather here since mid March. Where I live, the temps are higher then what the weather services say for the cities around me by about ten or so degrees. I have to laugh when I see what they say and its hotter in the shade. Some of my toms are turning color now so it wont be long before we have a mess of them. One of the toms is a direct sow. My spinach is still going strong and carrots are still hanging in there. I squash up the kazoo, most of it is planted in a 40' x 4' x 42" compost station divided into 10 sections. I recently removed the outside pallets for use in another project so imagine 10 giant soil cubes and that is what I have, just lacking the grids to make it an official SFG Laughing
For strawberries, the roots that I bought just wouldn't try so I put in a transplant from a box store and just have the one plant. Marigolds are another failure for me, they just wouldn't germ. I got one picking off the snow peas before they gave up the ghost. Snap peas are blossoming but looking sad. Forget Irish potatoes this time of year, my last one of fifteen just went belly up.
I thought fifty square feet would be to much for a beginner and was I wrong. I could have used about five times as much growing space. I have twenty tire gardens scattered around to compensate, just planted melons and cucs in some to see if I can push the envelope a little. According to UoA there are only about three things to plant in May, sweet potatoes, okra, and peanuts. Of course my growing seasons are 180 out from the rest of the country. Another mistake I made is that I didn't check with the extension agent before I planted in Feb. So to all newbies if you haven't done so get a planting guide from your county extension agent and save yourself some grief. When I first found out that most of what I put in was wrong I was very upset to say the least, most
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 Empty Here's Gunny in Yuma pt2

Post  Gunny 5/1/2013, 12:01 pm

(dangedburn machines, mine just reset and I got cut off) of my enthusiasm went out the window. There were a few other things too. When I put my mix together, I didn't use manures as part of the compost portion because to my itty bitty pea brain manure equaled fertilizer and I wasn't having any in my mix because it was supposed to be compost only. So another lesson learned. You all have fun and enjoy our toasty weather. When there are clouds in the sky, we call that a weather change. Been down here 30+ years.
Don, thanks for starting this group here. We can learn from each what is good and what isn't for our climates. Have sent folks your way in the past when I found that they were in your area. Gave them your web site. Nice to see you here too.
Anybody tried sunken mulch beds yet for SFG? Only ref I could find was a you tube vid and it wasn't SFG, but the principle should work for us. My only problem would be drainage as I have really heavy compacted clay for ground and it takes forever and a day for water to perk down. Maybe for you folks with sandy ground this might work for you. CUL,
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! - Page 2 Empty Arizona SFGer's - !

Post  SFGHealthCoach 9/25/2013, 8:35 pm

I will reach out to you here in the near future as there may be a trip to Scottsdale in November in my future - anyone here in the Scottsdale, Cave Creek - up that a way or in the Phoenix area?
SFGHealthCoach
SFGHealthCoach

Female Posts : 90

http://www.fromyourinsideout.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 10/22/2013, 8:46 am

Stay positive Gunny.  Happy mistakes will happen, not just bad ones. I've had marigolds growing literally like weeds around the yard without any love.

Haven't tried sunken beds because of the drainage issue you raised (pun intended). 

There are some good planting guides put out by the Univ of Arizona if you do searches.
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2