Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Toplef10The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? I22gcj10The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Toplef10The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? I22gcj10The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Garden Saga of Camprn, or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost?

+17
SwampCatNana
Goosegirl
efirvin
grenaissance
staf74
Kelejan
BackyardBirdGardner
walshevak
marianne.bruckner
quiltbea
Retired Member 1
Megan
chocolatepop
martha
Weedless_
trustinhart
camprn
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Empty The Garden Saga of Camprn, or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost?

Post  camprn 7/29/2010, 8:19 pm

So, here it is, the end of July 2010. Last fall, after 7 L O N G years of condo living I moved into a house. I have been hankering for another garden for so long and I have been quite happy with my brand new vegetable garden.
I am tooting my horn; It has been a good season for me growing beets, chard, shallots, Brussels sprouts, peppers, tomatoes,  eggplant and summer squash. Early on the peas and spinach were great. Not so good a season for carrots & dill, the cukes petered out and the beans are being very slow. This past month we have had 18 days over 90F, which is crazy hot for NH. Rainfall is 4 inches shy of normal.
Last year was such a difference. We had 20+days of temps in the 60s and record rainfall AND we had the late blight pass through. It was awful.
I do not know how to make my photos smaller thus I'm sure I am taking up a ton of server space.
March 20, 2010. setting up the garden
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Img_1910

July 26, 2010, front bed has, eggplant, 3 varieties of peppers, basil, onions and my Gilbertie tomatoes.
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2811

Brussels Sprouts, 7/26/10
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2812

Gilbertie Toms
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2310

Purple Gypsy
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2813

Nadia aubergine
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2815

Red and gold beets, I had 2 squares of each and I pulled the ones big enough to can.
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2311

Planting more shallots
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2110

Lipstick pimento peppers
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_1910

The last of the shell peas before it got too hot and the vines died.
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_1110

Zukes and summer squash in the dehydrator.
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_1111

The Kentucky Wonder pole beans that were, according to the seed packet, supposed to max out at 8 feet. This trellis is 10 feet tall. Blooms began 7/28/10.
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2814

Well pruned tomato plants allowing for air circulation and sunlight for the smaller onion and basil plants.
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2010

Last edited by camprn on 4/28/2017, 9:52 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Expanded title)
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Empty RE; end of July

Post  trustinhart 7/29/2010, 9:05 pm

camprn: what a GREAT success!!. Your garden is beautiful. The beets are amazing. What is a Gilbertie tom, is it a pepper or a tomato? Very distinctive. Please keep the pics coming!!!
trustinhart
trustinhart

Female Posts : 165

Back to top Go down

The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Empty Re: The Garden Saga of Camprn, or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost?

Post  Weedless_ 7/29/2010, 10:09 pm

This is awesome. And very encouraging!
Weedless_
Weedless_

Female Posts : 233

http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Empty Re: The Garden Saga of Camprn, or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost?

Post  martha 7/29/2010, 10:28 pm

The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? 593714
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/29/2010, 10:42 pm

The Gilbertie is a heirloom variety of sauce tomato, very fleshy with few seeds. You can order the seed from High Mowing seed co. in Vermont. The Striped Roman (below) is a similar variety of tomato.
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2910

The canning has commenced. Left to right, peach conserve, pickled beets, bread & butter pickles.
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2911
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 7/29/2010, 11:46 pm

Woman, I am amazed at you garden! So healthy and lovely. I totally understand the 180 in weather compared to last year.

Whatcha planting after you pull the peas? How many beets did you do to a square?
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/29/2010, 11:58 pm

chocolatepop wrote:Woman, I am amazed at you garden! So healthy and lovely. I totally understand the 180 in weather compared to last year.

Whatcha planting after you pull the peas? How many beets did you do to a square?
I'm a bit amazed myself. It's a bit late but I planted peas earlier this week. I am going to try for another crop of sugar snap peas for the freezer.
The beets... I tend to seed heavy, I think I seeded 25-30 in a square, most all sprouted and I ate quite a lot of greens. There are a few small beet plants left in the squares. I will probably throw in a few more seed. Fingers crossed for good fall harvest.
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/30/2010, 6:36 am

WOW, that is amazing!!! I am hoping to put in a few more squares this weekend.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 7/30/2010, 8:15 am

The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? 456464 Absolutely fantastic! The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? 304405 I've been gardening for 50+ years and am downright green with envy. Thank you so much for the pics.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/30/2010, 11:00 am

Wow, what a great garden for you this year. You certainly surpassed mine in Maine. Your veggies are ahead of mine. I'm looking forward to pickles this year.
I hope the weather holds up as expected. Its been lovely here in the northeast, starting with an early spring.
Love your garden. Its great.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/30/2010, 1:46 pm

Thank you all for the kind words! flower
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  marianne.bruckner 7/30/2011, 8:38 am

wonderful garden! i started too late this year. what means zone 5a? in austria we have to wait until 15th of may (recommended) to be totally safe from last frost. and do you know, why my radishes don't become round? greetings from vienna! nanni
marianne.bruckner

Female Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/30/2011, 8:45 am

marianne.bruckner wrote:wonderful garden! i started too late this year. what means zone 5a? in austria we have to wait until 15th of may (recommended) to be totally safe from last frost. and do you know, why my radishes don't become round? greetings from vienna! nanni

Hi Marianne, I'm visiting/working in your fair city this summer. June was great except the heat was so high near the end of the month. I saw a headline saying it was hotter in Vienna than in Africa. But so much of July has been chilly and wet that I wonder how veggie gardens are doing. It warmed up some yesterday, but still very cloudy.

Kay

BTW, The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? 396615

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/30/2011, 9:12 am

Marianne,

I, too, have a last frost date of May 15th in my zone 5a area so I think we must be the same growing zone. I had to start late this year tho because of the deep snow cover in our area and then we got 90*F plus temps in the spring which killed some of my cool-weather crops (broccoli, cauliflower). The warm-weather crops are doing well though, but I have to water them deep twice a day when it hits 90F.

My garden still doesn't look as good as yours, Camprn, but I'm getting there. I have a Gilbertie tomato which is much smaller than yours among my several varieties but so far only Early Cherry, San Marzano Nano, Siberskiy, Olivade F1, Harvest Luck (cluster tom), Beaverlodge Slicer, and Glacier have given me ripe tomatoes. I have over a dozen other varieites I'm waiting on.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for a good season the rest of the year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 7/30/2011, 9:50 am

Appropriate bump. I never would have seen this otherwise. 7 weeks? Wow, I don't like your short season for you. However, I suppose you don't get weeks of oppressive heat like the deep south, either. I suppose it's yin and yang.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/30/2011, 2:02 pm

marianne.bruckner wrote:wonderful garden! i started too late this year. what means zone 5a? in austria we have to wait until 15th of may (recommended) to be totally safe from last frost. and do you know, why my radishes don't become round? greetings from vienna! nanni

The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? 396615 marianne from Vienna, Austria.

Perhaps the reason your radishes did not become round was too much nitrogen or too much heat.

I'm a fairly new newbie so I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? 61949
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/4/2011, 10:33 pm

Another bump.....

Holy S#FG Very Happy

Amazing !!!
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Empty Garden!

Post  grenaissance 1/4/2012, 7:31 pm

Great pics from 2010! What did your 2011 garden look like? How much more did you add on from the previous year? Smile

camprn wrote:So, here it is, the end of July 2010. Last fall, after 7 L O N G years of condo living I moved into a house. I have been hankering for another garden for so long and I have been quite happy with my brand new vegetable garden.
I am tooting my horn; It has been a good season for me growing beets, chard, shallots, Brussels sprouts, peppers, tomatoes, eggplant and summer squash. Early on the peas and spinach were great. Not so good a season for carrots & dill, the cukes petered out and the beans are being very slow. This past month we have had 18 days over 90F, which is crazy hot for NH. Rainfall is 4 inches shy of normal.
Last year was such a difference. We had 20+days of temps in the 60s and record rainfall AND we had the late blight pass through. It was awful.
I do not know how to make my photos smaller thus I'm sure I am taking up a ton of server space.
March 20, 2010. setting up the garden
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Img_1910

July 26, 2010, front bed has, eggplant, 3 varieties of peppers, basil, onions and my Gilbertie tomatoes.
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2811

Brussels Sprouts, 7/26/10
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2812

Gilbertie Toms
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2310

Purple Gypsy
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2813

Nadia aubergine
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2815

Red and gold beets, I had 2 squares of each and I pulled the ones big enough to can.
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2311

Planting more shallots
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2110

Lipstick pimento peppers
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_1910

The last of the shell peas before it got too hot and the vines died.
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_1110

Zukes and summer squash in the dehydrator.
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_1111

The Kentucky Wonder pole beans that were, according to the seed packet, supposed to max out at 8 feet. This trellis is 10 feet tall. Blooms began 7/28/10.
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2814

Well pruned tomato plants allowing for air circulation and sunlight for the smaller onion and basil plants.
The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? Jul_2010
grenaissance
grenaissance

Male Posts : 19

https://www.facebook.com/gardeningrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/4/2012, 7:37 pm

Hey thanks! What a Face there are some photos in my Album in the Gallery. The link is in the top bar. I added 3 more 4x6 beds and tried an overhead trellis system for my indeterminate Gilbertie tomatoes. That trellis was a success. sunny

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 1/8/2012, 4:23 pm

Very late to your post but wanted to say your garden looks wonderful! And it looks like you planted this in your front yard? Just curious. How do you like sfg? I'm new to it so would love your feedback on how easy it is to plant, tend and havest for you.

I live in Wyoming so my growing season is always tricky. We can have May and June and early October snows so getting a good crop of veggies is a challenge each year. But I still try! Smile
efirvin
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/8/2012, 6:49 pm

efirvin wrote:Very late to your post but wanted to say your garden looks wonderful! And it looks like you planted this in your front yard? Just curious. How do you like sfg? I'm new to it so would love your feedback on how easy it is to plant, tend and havest for you.

I live in Wyoming so my growing season is always tricky. We can have May and June and early October snows so getting a good crop of veggies is a challenge each year. But I still try! Smile
Thank you for the compliment! Very Happy I absolutely love, love, LOVE the SFG system of gardening. I have found that using a hoop with a double layer of plastic over the garden is very good at extending growing time on either end of the season, at least by several weeks. There are multiple threads on the Forum about hoops, cold frames and hot beds.

I still have a bit of achy back but please believe me, it's not from pulling weeds or cultivating the vegetables, mostly from my other yard and flower garden activities. There was hardly ever a weed in the SFG, no kidding!
I think the hardest thing for a traditional gardener who may convert to SFG is adjusting to the intensive planting pattern. Getting rid of the never ending back ache was a nice side effect to going with the SFG. If you are unsure, just try gardening in a 4'x4' box for one season with the Mel's Mix. My guess is you will not be sorry if you do.
Again, Welcome to the Forum. Very Happy

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

The Garden Saga of Camprn,  or The End of July & 7 Weeks Until Frost? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 1/9/2012, 6:39 pm

Good to hear you like sfg gardening so well. It's health issues that has me considering sfg. And the hardest part of row gardening for me, besides bending over, is having to thin out those wonderful new shoots! I like the idea of very limited thinning and building forms that are up off the ground! Now i just have to talk the hubby into building the forms for me. Its still several months until I can plant so I have plenty of time.
efirvin
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/9/2012, 7:46 pm

efirvin wrote:Now i just have to talk the hubby into building the forms for me. Its still several months until I can plant so I have plenty of time.

The time goes faster than you think - light a fire under him NOW!!!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 5/3/2012, 5:04 pm

camprn wrote:Hey thanks! What a Face there are some photos in my Album in the Gallery. The link is in the top bar. I added 3 more 4x6 beds and tried an overhead trellis system for my indeterminate Gilbertie tomatoes. That trellis was a success. sunny

I went to the Gallery but can't find any album by you. All I find are 7 photos from asstd peeps and avatar pics. Is there a trick to it?
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/3/2012, 5:06 pm

SwampCatNana wrote:
camprn wrote:Hey thanks! What a Face there are some photos in my Album in the Gallery. The link is in the top bar. I added 3 more 4x6 beds and tried an overhead trellis system for my indeterminate Gilbertie tomatoes. That trellis was a success. sunny

I went to the Gallery but can't find any album by you. All I find are 7 photos from asstd peeps and avatar pics. Is there a trick to it?
Lee
Click on the gallery and then click the Users Personal Albums, under the photo of 'when a small avatar isn't enough'. They should all pop up.
Here is a link <~~~click

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next