Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Watering a SFG? Toplef10Watering a SFG? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Watering a SFG? I22gcj10Watering a SFG? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Watering a SFG? Toplef10Watering a SFG? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Watering a SFG? I22gcj10Watering a SFG? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Watering a SFG?

+3
trukrebew
Ole Joe Clark
newgloves
7 posters

Go down

Watering a SFG? Empty Watering a SFG?

Post  newgloves 7/24/2010, 12:13 pm

So, to all you experienced SFGardners out there. With my SFG I've been hand-watering which is what I prefer. With our heat I water 2-3 times a day & I get to check up on my plants at the same time. However, we have a 4 day trip coming up in 2 weeks and I'm pondering the best way to water while I'm gone. With our past gardens we did soaker hoses but that was with a typical garden that has a plant here and one there. How well would soaker hoses work in square foot patches of carrots, beets, spinach where almost the whole block needs watering?

What watering systems have you set up to water the garden in your absence? What has worked or not worked?

Thanks!
newgloves

Back to top Go down

Watering a SFG? Empty Re: Watering a SFG?

Post  Ole Joe Clark 7/24/2010, 10:08 pm

I use soaker hoses in two plots, with a "V" hose splitter and a battery operated timer. I water twice a day in this heat wave, at 6:00 am and 6:00 pm. Works like a charm.

Leon
Ole Joe Clark
Ole Joe Clark

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Watering a SFG? Empty Watering a SFG on vacation

Post  trukrebew 7/24/2010, 10:09 pm

Hey newgloves,

I just spent 10 days away from my SFG. Up until then I was also exclusively hand watering. But I set up a sprinkler on a timer for the vacation. My whole garden area is only 14' x 11', so I was able to put the sprinkler almost in the center and it provided great coverage. I used an oscillating sprinkler with only about 50% water pressure to run for 20 minutes every morning at 8:30. It gave each plant about 1/2 inch of water daily.

That is a bit late in the morning, but the sun doesn't fully hit my SFG until 10, so it was plenty of time for the plants to drink up. I even moved all of my container flowers into the aisles of the garden so they wouldn't die!

This system worked SO WELL, that I haven't been able to stop using it. I haven't needed to hand water my SFG in the last 3 weeks and it's been great! I still spend at least 5-10 minutes in the garden each day checking out the plants, but I don't have to keep going back to the tap for more water.

I will be using this same set up next year, too, but only after the plants are big enough to shade out the weeds by about mid-June. Hope this helps!
trukrebew
trukrebew

Male Posts : 129

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 7/25/2010, 2:20 pm

We've been wondering what the best watering system would be for our 14 boxes in the community garden. Some of the gardeners have planned to just hand water. Each box is 4'x8' and will have it's own water supply. Some of the gardeners want to run a drip system with the battery powered timer. We've discussed the pros and cons of each and all are wondering about the overhead watering and how it might cause problems with some of the plants. I'd like to hear more about watering in the summer heat. We're in Modesto, CA and have had some 100+ days lately, with more to come!
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/25/2010, 5:46 pm

My $0.02, just say no to overhead watering. It does indeed invite a host of problems, primarily mold and mildew, there is also a lot of water wasted. Certainly hand watering with bucket or hose and wand is good until you all figure out your desired system and get it up and running. You are doing fabulously with this project!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 7/25/2010, 6:12 pm

Thanks so much for your $0.02, it's really appreciated! Al and I were just sitting here discussing exactly how to lay out our watering system tomorrow. The actual watering inside the boxes will probably be worked out next week, or later this week. Tomorrow we dig the trenches to run the PVC pipe, set up the uprights at each box, and keep some of the "gung-ho" dudes from jumping in to "help" and cut the stuff in the wrong places! Ahhhhh, groups are fun, but keeping these "seniors" in line is like a bunch of little kids! LOL...and we're part of "these seniors", we're just the youngest of the bunch!
Ooops, almost forgot...thanks so much for the kind words about our project. More and more neighbors are coming by daily to check on the progress. I'm looking forward to donating the excess produce to our local soup kitchen to help feed local needy families and kids.
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Post  jtwenting 7/26/2010, 3:31 am

camprn wrote:My $0.02, just say no to overhead watering. It does indeed invite a host of problems, primarily mold and mildew

darn those clouds and the rain that comes out of them...
jtwenting

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 7/26/2010, 8:51 am

darn those clouds and the rain that comes out of them...

We already help mother nature in watering, not watering the tops just gives a bit more time to stave off the fungus that might attack. I myself spray for fungus after every rain, I lost tomatoes plants for the last 3 yrs to watering the leaves and the huge torrential rains we get. So no not darn those clouds and rain that comes out of them, we just want to help when we can.

I will be out spraying today after two days of down pours. Im so grateful for them I dont have to water.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 7/26/2010, 8:55 am

My $0.02, just say no to overhead watering. It does indeed invite a host
of problems, primarily mold and mildew, there is also a lot of water
wasted.

Yes !! saves water and you are getting to the "source" directly. There are times I have to water after a rain, if it just decides to spit on top of us. I learned the hard way about fungus with my tomatoes as a row gardener and this year was the year I found I could use a spray if needed and trimming away the branches that are yellowing or dead. Plus with a system set up I cant wait for mine to be all drip.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum