Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Picked our first watermelon yesterday Toplef10Picked our first watermelon yesterday 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Picked our first watermelon yesterday I22gcj10Picked our first watermelon yesterday 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Picked our first watermelon yesterday Toplef10Picked our first watermelon yesterday 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Picked our first watermelon yesterday I22gcj10Picked our first watermelon yesterday 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Picked our first watermelon yesterday

4 posters

Go down

Picked our first watermelon yesterday Empty Picked our first watermelon yesterday

Post  ander217 7/23/2010, 7:09 am

We have been watching our four Moon and Stars watermelons daily to see if the tendrils nearest the stems were beginning to dry. Suddenly, almost overnight it seemed, two tendrils have turned brown and dry. We turned the smaller of the two melons over, and sure enough, the white "belly" of the melon had turned from white to cream color.

Even knowing that these are the signs we look for, it was still scary taking that knife and making the first cut, wondering if we would find our melon too green, overripe, or as Goldilocks would prefer, "Just right."

As Dear Husband made the slice I held my breath. He split apart the two halves, and, "Ta dah!" The melon was perfect. The seeds were large and black, the flesh was firm and red, and it had almost a frosted look to it.

It was so sweet and good. We made pigs of ourselves and ate half of the melon for lunch.

The larger melon is also ready to harvest. Does anyone know how long a fresh melon will last once it is picked from the vine? We're hoping to have one when the granddaughters arrive next Friday for a week's visit.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Picked our first watermelon yesterday Empty Re: Picked our first watermelon yesterday

Post  jenjehle 7/23/2010, 1:19 pm

I'm just going to throw in my guess on this one...

When I buy one from the store, I put it in the fridge (we like ours cold Smile and I can easily leave it (and possibly forget about it!) for up to a week. And when we do cut into it, they've always been fine. Now that's not to say it wouldn't be BETTER at a different time but nothing happens to them that I can tell.

It would be hard to NOT cut into it right away if it were one I grew, though. I bet that was a moment of pure bliss!

My Sugar Babies have seem to stop growing. Not sure why, this is the first time I've grown them. But they've been baseball size for about 2 wks now. Been trying to give them water when possible. Maybe they need more???? Any thoughts?
jenjehle
jenjehle

Female Posts : 248

http://picasaweb.google.com/107169543203897472824?feat=email

Back to top Go down

Picked our first watermelon yesterday Empty watermelons

Post  ander217 7/23/2010, 2:47 pm

These are the first watermelons we've grown in years. We are no experts, and I think we just got lucky this year in having any type of harvest at all.

We set out three plants, and one didn't produce a single melon although it keeps blooming. The others have two each. One of the remaining ones is about the size of an oblong basketball, one is the size of a football with the ends chopped off, and one is a little larger than a softball.

The seed packet said our melons could reach up to 40 lbs. each. We planted them in a bed which had plenty of manure and compost worked into it. Ours were far smaller than 40 lbs. when the tendrils dried up. I think the drought we had earlier in the year may have had something to do with it, even though we kept them watered. I'd say just keep watching yours for signs of maturity. They might just be small this year with the strange growing year we've had.

Any melon experts out there who can explain our smaller size melons?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Picked our first watermelon yesterday Empty Re: Picked our first watermelon yesterday

Post  Megan 7/23/2010, 5:36 pm

jenjehle wrote:My Sugar Babies have seem to stop growing. Not sure why, this is the first time I've grown them. But they've been baseball size for about 2 wks now. Been trying to give them water when possible. Maybe they need more???? Any thoughts?

Crack one open and see what you've got???

At least you have melons! I have had flowers.... but no melons spied so far. Sad
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jenjehle 7/23/2010, 6:15 pm

Megan wrote: Crack one open and see what you've got???

At least you have melons! I have had flowers.... but no melons spied so far. Sad

I only have 2 melons so cracking open one of them wouldn't be a good idea. There were only flowers on mine for a long time too but then, out of nowhere, I found melons! Keep watching! You never know...
jenjehle
jenjehle

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/23/2010, 6:18 pm

My melon leaves are looking rather yellow, especially lower down on the vine. I am thinking at least some of it is because it's being shaded, but perhaps it is hungry, too....

Last edited by Megan on 7/23/2010, 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct grammar)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  jenjehle 7/23/2010, 6:21 pm

Megan wrote:My melon leaves is looking rather yellow, especially lower down on the vine. I am thinking at least some of it is because it's being shaded, but perhaps it is hungry, too....

Can you post a picture of your plant? That may help someone give you suggestions.

Are you sure you don't have Powdery Mildew or someother disease? The leaves on my squash plants turned yellow from PM. Had to pull them all out.
jenjehle
jenjehle

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/23/2010, 6:39 pm

Well, there are other curcurbits very close by and they seem aggressively healthy. Don't know. It is tough to get a picture because it is quite a jungle in there... but these photos are the best I can get.

The other plants you can see are pole beans, cucumbers, and behind the trellis, corn and a crookneck squash. It looks like something has been snipping the blooms off the watermelon, that or they have just fallen.

Picked our first watermelon yesterday Photo-773771

Picked our first watermelon yesterday Photo-724666
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  jenjehle 7/23/2010, 9:14 pm

I found a chart about nutrient deficiencies.

You may want to see if there's something here specific about yellowing leaves. It looks to me like most of your plant has discoloration.

http://gardening.about.com/od/gardenproblems/a/NutrientDeficie.htm

Hope this helps!
jenjehle
jenjehle

Back to top Go down

Post  johnfromfl 7/23/2010, 9:35 pm

Congrats on your first water melon. I lost 4 of them. Three was from melon bugs and the last one from a downpour that split the melon open. the split melon was about 7 inches in diameter . Had a tinge of red but was mostly green inside. Was a sweet one too. I tasted it but cut it up and put it in my compost bin. my melon vines are taking over my garden. Hope that's a good thing besides the bugs.

One of the problems I have here in Florida is the heat and lack of rain. I'll have to wait until October or November to replant my garden again. BTW the eggplants are doing ok and have harvested 5 from 2 plants so far. I am waiting for my garden to finish the growing session so I can change from topsoil to mels mix. A mistake I made from not reading the SQ FT GARDEN BOOK first.
johnfromfl
johnfromfl

Male Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down