Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! Toplef10Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! I22gcj10Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! Toplef10Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! I22gcj10Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP!

+2
liz - Illinois
Bec
6 posters

Go down

Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! Empty Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP!

Post  Bec 7/21/2010, 4:49 pm

I'm growing pumpkins for the first time the SFG method. I grew a few last year in the ground but had crop failure (weather related) so I can't go by that. My plants are HUGE! I wasn't expecting them to get so big. I started googling growing pumpkins and got detailed information about training vines in certain directions to help the pumpkin grow, not crossing vines, pruning some stuff but not other stuff, etc., etc. For one thing it was described for on the ground and mine are vertical. I went out and uncrossed my vines as best I could and laid the runners on the ground - the best I could at this point. I'm really not sure what to prune. What I think is supposed to be pruned already has baby pumpkins on it. Has anyone grown pumpkins before with this method that can help me know what to do or what really doesn't need to be done? I don't know where to put all the vines! They keep growing and growing and growing - and supposedly are supposed to be kept straight. Well that's not going to happen - my trellis only goes so high. I'm also not sure what to do with the vines now that they're reached the top of the trellis - gently and gradually bend them down to start growing downward? Cut off the tops to stop the vine growth and allow more nutrition to go to the fruits? I need HELP! Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! Confused
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! Empty Pumpkin vines

Post  liz - Illinois 7/21/2010, 7:11 pm

Hi Bec, I have the same question. I have run out of space on my trellis, and I'm not even sure that the trellis will hold them, even though they're the smaller variety.
liz - Illinois

Female Posts : 12

Back to top Go down

Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! Empty Pumpkin vines

Post  Bec 7/22/2010, 5:59 am

I had forgotten to check the SFG site about pumpkins. Mel says to prune all but the main stem. Ok - I can do that but some of my other stems already have babies on them. I don't think I have the heart to prune those. Regarding the height, I think I'll experiment and clip off the end of one at the top and not the others and see what the difference is. I don't know what to do with the rest of the plant that continues to grow though. I've read that they get very, very long. This year will be experimental but my thinking is that even though the nylon trellises should hold pumpkins, these huge plants may just belong growing horizontally - in a LOT of space - although the web site I looked at with all the instructions still recommended that they be grown in raised beds.

I think gardening is a never-ending learning experience.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! Empty Re: Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP!

Post  Chopper 7/22/2010, 5:13 pm

Bec wrote: I think gardening is a never-ending learning experience.

And a humbling one. Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! Icon_smile
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! Empty Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP!

Post  Bec 7/22/2010, 5:25 pm

I think gardening is a never-ending learning experience.

And a humbling one. Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! Icon_smile

Oh so true! Seems whenever I start getting proud of my gardening "skills" something happens to put me to shame. Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! Icon_rolleyes
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! Empty Re: Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP!

Post  Dunkinjean 7/26/2010, 8:19 pm

I also planted pumpkins for the 1st time and also my 1st yr for SFG. My husband made a trellis to add to the end of the SFG. I am growing cucumbers in the SFG along the trellis. On the other side of trellis I am growing pumpkins (small) which is a row garden that is also along the side of my house.

The pumpkin vines are all over the place! So far I only have one pumpkin growing which is on the trellis. I have no idea why there aren't more since I have alot of vines! Any suggestions?

Happy Gardening Everyone....
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/26/2010, 8:32 pm

Well, I just transplanted my pumpkins. Two of them. In the same square, since I waited too long to transplant and they are now grown together at the roots. I am just asking for trouble, I know... but after dealing with the rampicante, how could they be bigger? (*knocking on wood and laughing at myself*)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 7/27/2010, 12:23 pm

Bec and Megan:

I too did not trim my pumpkins so of course they are out of control but live and learn! Pumpkin vines/plants are HUGE! - HELP! Icon_biggrin

Happy Gardening Everyone....
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/27/2010, 4:06 pm

Megan wrote:Well, I just transplanted my pumpkins. Two of them. In the same square, since I waited too long to transplant and they are now grown together at the roots. I am just asking for trouble...)

The Pumpkin That Ate Manassas
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Bird 7/27/2010, 4:16 pm

Use a sky hook! HAHAHAHA I know its not funny but I couldnt resist!
Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Male Posts : 228

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/27/2010, 5:16 pm

Tell you what, the rampicante is doing its best to eat my front yard. There is one branch heading directly for my foundation.... Smile
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down