Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potato fail. Toplef10Potato fail. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potato fail. I22gcj10Potato fail. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Potato fail. Toplef10Potato fail. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Potato fail. I22gcj10Potato fail. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Potato fail.

+2
Retired Member 1
The Cat's Other Mother
6 posters

Go down

Potato fail. Empty Potato fail.

Post  The Cat's Other Mother 7/17/2010, 12:15 pm

I planted two potatoes in a 12" deep box, and they grew nice plants, one of which died over the last week, so I dug it up. No potatoes, not even a tiny nubbin of one. Is a 1x1' space too confined? Should I have planted potatoes seperately so I could 'hill' them? Should I dig up and toss the other one too, and plant something else in my boxes?
The Cat's Other Mother

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Potato fail. Empty Re: Potato fail.

Post  Retired Member 1 7/17/2010, 12:33 pm

What zone are you in? It may have been too warm for potatoes -- here we plant them in very early spring. 12" deep box is a bit shallow, but as long as you planted the seed potato at the bottom of the box you should have gotten some harvest if not planted too late.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Potato fail. Empty Potatoes

Post  ander217 7/17/2010, 8:16 pm

We have planted potatoes in our row garden for years. We plant them about six inches deep, and we only hill them as necessary to keep the developing tubers from getting sun and turning green, - usually once a season is enough. I never understood why people keep adding more and more soil around them. It seems to me it would force the plant to grow more leaves instead of putting that energy into making tubers, but others seem to have success with it, so go with what works for you. We have always gotten a nice harvest from our method.

Potatoes stop producing tubers when the soil temperature goes too high. We aim for planting ours on Mar. 17th so we can harvest before really hot weather.

I planted my 12" deep SFG box with seed potatoes a few weeks ago and the tops are now up and growing in most of the grids. I hope the soil temps will moderate by the time the plants are ready to produce tubers, but we'll see what happens.

Sorry you didn't get any potatoes. I hope your other plant produces for you but if not, try again next year.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/17/2010, 8:26 pm

All the instruction I have read say that when the plant grows to hill it up so you have about 6" of plant above the soil. I understand that potatoes are not roots. They grow off of the vine itself. So I figured that the more you hill, the more vine to produce potatoes. But, I only know what I read.

That said. I have 8" of soil I planted in - deep - and then added an 8" riser and most of the potatoes were in the bottom 8 inches when harvested. I may do two boxes next year. One with a riser and one without. Very interesting.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Potato fail. Empty potatoes

Post  ander217 7/18/2010, 8:51 am

I know Chopper, I've read the same thing myself for years and years.

From what I've seen, the potatoes aren't produced on the stem but on runners coming from the stem. We used to plant our potatoes in our row garden and make a mound or hill over them at planting time, and every time we hoed the weeds we'd pull up more soil around them, just like Grandma did. In later years we planted them deeper, and then just hilled the soil over them as potatoes showed at the top of the ground. We only had to hill them once when tubers showed on top, and our harvest was as good as ever.

Would they have produced more runners higher up the stem if we had hilled them more? I can't say. It's possible. But I believe the more potatoes produced by the plant, the smaller each tuber will be. Our method produced one or two large tubers, a few medium, and a few very small tubers per plant. (I believe those would have grown larger had the hot weather not hit unusually early this year.) I think if we had forced our plant to keep putting out runners we would have had very small tubers when the heat wave hit, but that's only supposition.

My recent planting is my first time to plant potatoes in a SFG box. Do those of you who have grown potatoes in SFG find that they produce runners all the way up to the top of the vines when you continue to cover them with more Mel's Mix or mulch? Do the tubers grow to a large size even if the plant produces more tubers?

My big worry now is keeping my new plants alive through the summer heat until they can produce in the cooler fall temps.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Potato fail. Empty Potato failure

Post  ander217 7/18/2010, 8:59 am

Cat's Other Mother, did you add extra nitrogen to your potato box? Too much nitrogen will cause the plant to grow leaves rather than tubers.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/18/2010, 10:14 am

Hmm. We grew tons (literally) of potatoes each year when I was a child, but I really don't remember how we planted them.... just the back-breaking work of harvesting them all by hand!

I have a 1x4 highrise of potatoes this year. Total soil depth varies but in some places it approaches 28" deep. I have not gone digging yet, but having read what you've all said I'm now very curious as to what might, or might not, be under there!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Potato fail. Empty Potato Failure

Post  Mom2Four 7/18/2010, 10:35 am

I'm trying my hand (or thumb!) at potatoes too and I found this quote while researching it.

"Greg from Irish-Eyes Garden City Seeds let me know that Yukon Golds, and all early varieties set fruit once and do not do well in towers. You only get potatoes in the bottom 6 inches, which is what I got. Late season alternatives to yukon gold are Yellow Fin and Binjte."

Here's the link http://tipnut.com/grow-potatoes/

I had never heard that some varieties fruit once. Thought it might be helpful to someone else too.

Ellen
Mom2Four
Mom2Four

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/18/2010, 10:37 am

That gives me some hope, thanks. I planted Kennebecs which are late season. (Pure chance; that was what was left at the feed store when I was there.)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Potato fail. Empty Thanks, Ellen

Post  ander217 7/18/2010, 1:58 pm

Thanks for the info, Ellen. It seems I learn something new every day from this group.

I just looked up the varieties we grow - Red Pontiac, White Cobbler (Irish Cobbler), and Yukon Gold. All are early-season varieties. That might explain why we don't have to hill them up repeatedly. They only produce at the bottom six inches of the plant.

I just planted White Cobbler in my 12" box, so that should be adequate for their growth. I'll let you know this fall.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cat's Other Mother 7/18/2010, 3:00 pm

Best guess based on the replies here and other reading is that I planted too late(may & June) and too shallow, and didn't 'hill' at all. I guess I thought that big green plant was a sign of success. Oh well, learning experience.
The Cat's Other Mother

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down