Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
A weed story with a happy ending Toplef10A weed story with a happy ending 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

A weed story with a happy ending I22gcj10A weed story with a happy ending 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
A weed story with a happy ending Toplef10A weed story with a happy ending 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

A weed story with a happy ending I22gcj10A weed story with a happy ending 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

A weed story with a happy ending

+2
boffer
milaneyjane
6 posters

Go down

A weed story with a happy ending Empty A weed story with a happy ending

Post  milaneyjane 7/15/2010, 11:33 pm

Ok, I moaned about it earlier this week that I had a TON of weeding to do in my large row garden of corn and my vine garden. Goodness sakes!!! They were getting as tall as the corn!

My father gave me his Toro weed eater last year when he moved into his condo even though we alread had one. He had these great attachments for it including a saw and thought I might be able to use it in my garden projects. The ONLY attachment he didn't have was the tiller attachment. After all the money I spent getting my SFG up and running this year, I didn't have the $100 to buy it and all week I have been trying to figure out where I could get the attachment.

My neighbor who so graciously helped me construct my boxes came over yesterday and was completely astonished and jealous of my SFG. A weed story with a happy ending Icon_lol And then she looked at my corn rows being overtaken by weeds. The rows are too close together to fit a regular tiller in there since I planted them extra close. And then she said, "It is too bad my weed whacker doesn't work. I have the tiller attachment for it just sitting in my garage and it would work perfectly!" A weed story with a happy ending Icon_eek I about fell over. I told her that I had the Weed Eater but needed the tiller attachment. How ironic is that? Needless to say I was doing the happy dance!! I spent an hour out there tonight going between the rows and tomorrow I will tackle the weeds between the SFG boxes and not have to resort to round up. I know Mel says no need to til, but it does a great job between the boxes when a person doesn't mulch A weed story with a happy ending Icon_cool

If only I could manage enough SFG's for all the corn a family of five needs for freezing and canning. Any creative suggestions for next year? Right now I have 10 rows each about 20 feet long. I already have plans to put the vine crops in SFG next year.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

A weed story with a happy ending Empty Re: A weed story with a happy ending

Post  boffer 7/16/2010, 12:17 am

Hi,

I read your post asking about weeding suggestions. My favorite weeding tool is a propane weed burning torch, but it wouldn't work well in your corn field in the middle of the season!

I can't justify SFG for corn either. My raised bed is about 8x25, and that's a lot of MM! Because our spring weather was so cool and wet this year, I put black plastic over half the bed to see if it would help with germination. It helped a little in the beginning, but the other half has caught up. What I am realizing is that the plastic is doing a great job keeping down the weeds. Usually, I keep up with the weeds until the corn gets taller than them, then I say the heck with it, and let it turn into a jungle.

I put down the plastic, and then put an X, with about 4 inch legs, at the appropriate place. I plant at 12 inch seed spacing and 12 inch row spacing. So far, I'm very encouraged with how it's working. There are just a few weeds poking out around the stalks. If both sides get similar harvests, black plastic will become the norm for me.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/16/2010, 12:21 am

I don't know. But I never let that stop me from answering. A weed story with a happy ending Icon_smile

I have a 4X4 of corn and beans and some radishes for companion planting purposes. Of that 4 squares are just zucchini (1 zuc in the 4 squares). I planted 2 corn and bean per square and they all took. Somehow I have 25 corn plants for 12 squares.

The soil is completely shaded and I have no weeds. Or at least I can't see any, and I look. So, I am not sure why you have them. If they were already in the soil you used or they blew in, but mine ended up like Mel suggests - plant close enough and you will squeeze out the weeds. Not sure if that's what did it or not, those are just my results.

***Just read boffer's suggestion and the weed mat sounds like something you can count on more than shade!

Zuke side:
A weed story with a happy ending Window11

Corn only side:
A weed story with a happy ending Window12
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 7/16/2010, 1:49 am

Boffer-
My favorite weeding tool is a propane weed burning torch
A weed story with a happy ending Icon_eek A weed story with a happy ending Icon_lol I LOVE it! That is seriously a brilliant idea. I debated doing the plastic at the beginning of the season. I did it last year between my vine crops (pre SFG) and it was a dream. The problem I run into, is the site where I rotated the corn to this year. The rows curve around and they are on a slight slope. The rain would absolutely ruin the flower beds below and act like a waterfall. Next year if I plant corn in the "back" garden where I have the vine crops now I will absolutely go the plastic route---it is nice and level. So you yours in a giant raised bed? Do you always use it for corn?

Chopper- I don't have them in SFG....the corn is still in a row garden off to the side. I will have to dig up some pictures from an old post. It is an entire garden just of corn.....bigger than all my SFG's combined.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

A weed story with a happy ending Empty Pre Weeds--doesn't show the slope very well.

Post  milaneyjane 7/16/2010, 2:19 am

A weed story with a happy ending DSC00748
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/16/2010, 2:50 am

Like I said, knowing nothing never stopped me from giving advice! LOL. And...WOW.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  silverbug 7/16/2010, 7:15 am

Ooh, your garden is beautiful!!! Sooooo jealous of that space. (not so much of all the work with that corn plant/harvest/processing though...)
silverbug

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 7/16/2010, 11:06 am

silverbug wrote:Ooh, your garden is beautiful!!! Sooooo jealous of that space. (not so much of all the work with that corn plant/harvest/processing though...)

this!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/16/2010, 11:21 am

milaneyjane wrote:
boffer wrote:My favorite weeding tool is a propane weed burning torch
Boffer- A weed story with a happy ending Icon_eek A weed story with a happy ending Icon_lol I LOVE it! That is seriously a brilliant idea. .... So you yours in a giant raised bed? Do you always use it for corn?

Better not get me started talking about tools! I'm guessing that using a bottle of propane a year to burn weeds is less harmful than using weed killing chemicals. And it is so much more satisfying to watch those dandelions curl up and die! get that pesky wabbi

My corn bed is outlined with 6-10 inch rocks. This is my fifth straight year. I dump 3-4 inches of compost on top each year. Fresh corn is the only veggie I'm willing to work this hard for!

(anybody know what Martha's post means? thinking )
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 7/16/2010, 1:09 pm

I think she means she agrees with the quoted post. (I do too!)
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down