Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question Toplef10blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question I22gcj10blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question Toplef10blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question I22gcj10blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question

+2
chocolatepop
itsablondething
6 posters

Go down

blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question Empty blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question

Post  itsablondething 7/12/2010, 11:50 pm

Many of my tomatoes defiantely have blossom end rot. We had a VERY spell, and I watered daily, but apparently this is a set up for blossom end rot.

I;'ve looked over the internet. It seems like a calcium deficiency is probably part of the problem, but the time to correct that was before the rot set in.

I've read that foliar application of magnesium (epsom salt) had been shown to help more than foliar application of calcium, as the magnesium aid calcium uptake, but their is limited foliar absorbtion of calcium.

Is epsoms salt considered an organic treatment?

How have you treated blossom end rot?
itsablondething

Back to top Go down

blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question Empty Re: blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question

Post  chocolatepop 7/12/2010, 11:56 pm

i would consider epson salt organic. i, too, had a plant with about 3 fruit with BER, but thats it. Just the first few and the rest were fine. I later read this is normal I guess???

Everything else i read just says water, and treat for the future. Several use the crush tums or powdered milk.
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question Empty Re: blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question

Post  Chopper 7/13/2010, 12:48 am

Any growth problem I always treat the same: fish emulsion, epsom salts and ground calcium pills. I had the same experience as chocolatepop - a few tomatoes were truck and then the rest were OK. Did the feeding stop it? I have no idea. So many variables! So little actual data! I just decided to feed everything every week to 2 weeks and hope for the best.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 7/13/2010, 2:35 pm

a neighbor gardener told me he gets BER on his first few tomatoes every year and then it clears up. he showed me one that looked pretty severe. he said it happens every year and he now knows to expect it and not worry about it. i also am a believer of epsom salt & fish emulsion. best wishes! i'm still waiting for mine to begin turning red. blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question Icon_smile
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question Empty blossom end rot

Post  Garden Angel 7/14/2010, 12:12 pm

Rodales problem solver says,
Several factors , most often occurs when plants are grown under otherwise favorable conditions in the early part of the season and then subjected to a long period of drought while fruit is in early stage of developement, also after a long period of heavy rain, improper watering or by calcium deficency , overdoses of nitrogen can hinder the uptake of calcium, which I think this is my problem , need to watch the fish emulsion, then the heat came. It said to put garden lime around base of plants so I did and it seems to be better.
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

blossom end rot and epsom salt/organic question Empty blossom end rot

Post  junequilt 7/14/2010, 5:16 pm

My first few tomatoes and even bell peppers had some ber, but then it stopped. It's almost as if the plants just don't quite have it together at the beginning!
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  itsablondething 7/15/2010, 6:24 am

After reading all this, I went out and trimmed off mine with BER.. and you know what, I only had 5 tomatoes total with it on 2 big plants full of tomatoes. Guess I got over excited. Next year I think I will have a soil analysis (didn't use Mel Mix..too expensive.. used a combo of about half bagged top soil and half Miracle Grow Organic Garden Soil) and as the season progresses mixing in bagged compost and compost/manure mixes. Next year, hopefully have plenty of my own compost, and found several friends who can provide manure.

At any rate, something must be right... most of my tightly packed corn stalks are showing evidence of at least 2 ears.. i was hoping for at least one per ear. I added a thick layer of compost/manure mix to the top of that bed before planting.
itsablondething

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum