Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing? Toplef10How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing? I22gcj10How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing? Toplef10How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing? I22gcj10How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing?

+3
punaluuSFG
SFGHQSTAFF
OahuSFG
7 posters

Go down

How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing? Empty How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing?

Post  OahuSFG 7/1/2010, 7:51 pm

What kind of plants are doing well in your boxes here?

Anyone try Kabochas or Eggplant?

I have Pineapples, Kafir lime, Vanilla Orchid, Green Onions in Mel's mix but in pots.

All of them doing well.
OahuSFG

Female Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing? Empty Re: How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing?

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 7/1/2010, 11:58 pm

thanks for the update. love to hear that things are going well!
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Male Posts : 264

Back to top Go down

How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing? Empty Re: How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing?

Post  punaluuSFG 7/2/2010, 4:32 am

I've had success with lots of different plants over the last three years. Love the mixed greens, kale, lettuce, chinese cabbage, daikon, turnips, kohlrabi, red beets, strawberries, sweet potatoes, etc. Eggplant has done well too.

Local plants? Would you consider tapioca local? Trying a few sandwiched between some new boxes, and they seem to be doing fine. See photo.

I've started taro in pots with Mel's mix, and then transplanted them.

Hey, who's up for trying an ulu tree in a 4-foot "cube" of Mel's mix? lol!

How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing? Tapioc11
punaluuSFG
punaluuSFG

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  extremesoccermom 7/2/2010, 10:55 am

Actually I have been really disapointed in mine. The only things that even sprouted from seed were sweet peppers, carrots, spinach, lima beans, and some of my cilantro. They are growing but only the lima beans are doing well.

I also planted tomatoes which are considerable smaller than the same pack planted in my own soil. Corn is doing the same. The ones planted in the ground are taller than me now. Finally, my biggest success is some kind of melon/squash plant. The were growing in a pot of thyme I bought at one of the big box stores. I am not sure what they are but they are doing well. I will try to get new pictures this weekend.
On a side note I did pick 3 tomatoes from my self watering container this morning! How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing? Icon_biggrin
extremesoccermom

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  OahuSFG 7/2/2010, 4:20 pm

Wow! What a beautiful set up PunaluuSFG! Thanks for the veggie list.

Taro in a SFG box sounds pretty interesting.

The Manoa lettuce, Roma tomatoes, Cillantro, Basil, Lima beans, Corn, and Snow Peas grown in my regular 4x4, were the best tasting vegetables I've had.
OahuSFG

Back to top Go down

How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing? Empty How are my local plants doing?

Post  Joan Larcom 7/4/2010, 7:30 pm

Collard and kale did well in the Mel's Mix I made with coir, perlite and compost before I took the training but the green onions are struggling and so are the kambocha and yellow squash. Any suggestions? I only have planted a 2x2 in the Mel's Mix I brought home with me after that. The lettuce did well and the beets look promising. The daikon look a little stunted which I expected in the shallow earth layer. The bush beans died from, I think, damping off.

I built a 2x5 box a few days ago and will do the planting today and tomorrow.
Joan Larcom

Back to top Go down

Post  JanC 7/8/2010, 2:03 am

Anyone have any luck with corn? I tried UH seeds (#9) and now that they're 1'-3' high, they're all turning yellow and wilting away. I have a certain amount of salt spray being pretty close to the beach and am wondering if that's the problem. I thought corn was easy to grow here.
JanC

Back to top Go down

Post  OahuSFG 7/8/2010, 4:54 pm

I have not had any luck with my squash plants (zuccinni and yellow). It would be great if someone out there can give some of their tips on growing these supposedly EASY veggies.

Do you think Daikon would benefit from a 6" tower like the carrots?

The corn I planted last year did not do well. I got 3 very delicious ears (using UH seeds). I think I planted it way too close together, (4 plants per square). I also tried Heirloom corn, 1 plant per square but that did not do well at all. Both corn plants were in an open bottom box.

The green onions from seeds, seem to grow very slowy, but it does state on the packet that it takes 120 days! The ones I replant after I use the tops, grow very quickly.
OahuSFG

Back to top Go down

Post  JanC 7/8/2010, 6:09 pm

Around Hau'ula/Laie/Kahuku I don't know anyone that can grow zucchini.... but then they're growing it like crazy at Sunset School. Go figure.
I'm growing the corn one per square.... er... TRYING to grow the corn one per square. They grow it all over Kahuku so it's gotta be possible.
Is it sensitive to salt spray?
JanC

Back to top Go down

Post  paipiwa 8/24/2010, 3:07 am

Where does everyone get there items for Mel's Mix? I'm anxious to start, but not sure where to get everything.

Does anyone have an aquaponics system in their yard as well? Do SFG people meet up on Oahu?

-Heather
paipiwa

Back to top Go down

How are your "local" plants in Mel's mix doing? Empty Crop Production Services

Post  JanC 8/24/2010, 3:14 am

You can find everything at CPS in Pearl City. It's the only place I have found vermiculite. Ask specifically for the coarse or else they'll give you medium..... which will work but not as well I guess. It's close to Sam's Club in that industrial park.
JanC

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down