Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wire cover from hardware cloth? Toplef10Wire cover from hardware cloth? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wire cover from hardware cloth? I22gcj10Wire cover from hardware cloth? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Wire cover from hardware cloth? Toplef10Wire cover from hardware cloth? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Wire cover from hardware cloth? I22gcj10Wire cover from hardware cloth? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Wire cover from hardware cloth?

2 posters

Go down

Wire cover from hardware cloth? Empty Wire cover from hardware cloth?

Post  Shoda 6/23/2010, 1:56 pm

Has anyone built a wire cover from hardware cloth? I think some mice are getting through my chicken wire covers. I was thinking of building a better cover sort of like the one they used to sell at the SFG store but would use hardware cloth instead.

Would 1/4" hardware cloth provide too much shade for my plants?

Did anyone ever purchase one of the SFG covers that they discontinued in March? I would love some pictures of it so I can see how it went together. I remember it had a wood frame that extended up and maybe it was made with panels?

I have to do something... I am not getting any strawberries. Wire cover from hardware cloth? Icon_sad
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Wire cover from hardware cloth? Empty Wire cover from hardware cloth?

Post  trukrebew 6/23/2010, 11:41 pm

I bought a 12' x 3' length of hardware cloth in March and built a sturdy cage to protect my seedlings. They were hardening off for a week when something decided it was a salad bar and ate nearly all of the tomatoes down to the stems!
I got it that afternoon and spent 2 hours bending it to shape. It would have been faster if I wasn't also watching a movie, lol! Wire cover from hardware cloth? Icon_lol The main cage I made was just under 2' wide x 4' long x 2' high. It used up most of the roll. But with planning I was able to also make two 1'x1'x1' cages and a small 6"x1'x3" cage from the scraps. Each cage is short about 1/2" on each side so that they can fit into the boxes and in between the grids. You can see the littlest cage in the photo below, protecting my radish sprouts.

Wire cover from hardware cloth? 12_rad10

To get the most out of the roll, I sketched out different folding patterns onto paper, with 1x1 grids...a la SFG planning. Then, wearing gloves, I cut down the center of the rows with tin snips so that there were little barbs left. I 'folded' along the lines using scrap wood to bend around and get a clean, hard edge. Then used electrical pliers to bend the barbs to secure the seams. The cage is strong enough to hold up some weight without buckling, but the edges around the opening are not rigid b/c I did not attach them to a frame (Next year! Wire cover from hardware cloth? Icon_wink ).

Wire cover from hardware cloth? 15_str10

This flaw proved fatal when I used it to cover my strawberry bed. It's non-SFG, so I just put the cage over the plants on the ground. I thought I had put enough rocks around the edges to 'seal it' (see photo above), but the chipmunks still managed to push their way under the loose edge of the longest side around the back. I lost every single strawberry from 18 plants! Wire cover from hardware cloth? Icon_cry
Now that same cage is over my 2x4 corn box and it fits very snug inside the walls of the SFG box. There will be no way those critters get in for those corn roots!

It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't too expensive either. I paid about 2.65 per linear foot, or just over $30. And it is strong enough to withstand a number of years of use, as long as I can store it somewhere safe...far away from the kids, LOL!
trukrebew
trukrebew

Male Posts : 129

Back to top Go down

Wire cover from hardware cloth? Empty Re: Wire cover from hardware cloth?

Post  Shoda 6/23/2010, 11:59 pm

Those look great! Since my strawberries haven't been moved to a raised bed, I suspect even hardware cloth wouldn't keep out the mice. Since I am not getting ANY strawberries, I might just bit the bullet and move them to a SFG bed earlier then I had originally planned. With hardware cloth under the Mel's Mix and a hardware cloth cover over the top, they should be safer.

I like your design a lot -- clean and neat. It also doesn't look like it affects the light that much. I will have to give it a try. Thanks.
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Wire cover from hardware cloth? Empty Re: Wire cover from hardware cloth?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum