Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden Toplef10New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden I22gcj10New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden Toplef10New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden I22gcj10New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden

4 posters

Go down

New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden Empty New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden

Post  susieq 6/19/2010, 12:23 pm

Hello!
I've just joined the ranks of the square foot gardeners! I look forward to being part of a great group!
I've got my bed ready and because I am getting a late (seasonally speaking) start, I will be planting plants this year.

My question is...
I know that I need some pest control ( I anticipate mostly rabbits, squirrels, mice, moles), however I am not sure how to best approach this.

My garden is 4'x8' and the north side (8') will have my vertical growing plants. I am not sure how to protect the vertical crops but also want to have an attractive garden. I don't know how attractive it will look with the chicken wire fence around and over it. Of course a pest ravaged gardent does nothing for the asthetics of the garden either!! New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden Icon_biggrin Any ideas??? Thanks! New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden Icon_sunny
susieq

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden Empty Re: New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden

Post  susieq 6/19/2010, 3:50 pm

I've gotten a start and have some plants in. I'm anxious to continue and wonder if anyone has any suggestions for me? New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden 61949 New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden 601593
susieq

Back to top Go down

New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden Empty Re: New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden

Post  Shoda 6/19/2010, 5:02 pm

I think we all struggle with the wild animals and bugs. Part of the remaining challenges.

When you built your bed, did you put hardware cloth or something similar under the Mel's Mix? Voles, moles, gophers, etc... usually come from below. I used 1/2" hardware cloth in a few of my beds and then switched to 1/4" hardware cloth at the recommendation of the folks on the forum. Chicken wire can also be used but doesn't hold up as well and the holes are pretty big therefore smaller animals can get in.

There are several posts about how to keep out rabbits. I think fencing has to be a couple feet high and buried about 6" underground. Anyone keep them out?

I built some chicken wire covers for our berries using the plans in the new SFG book. Worked great for a while, now small mice are getting in. I am now trying to kill the mice and looking into building a cover with smaller openings. Though, I don't want to shade it too much.

As for the verticals... that question is outstanding. I have the same issue. I have tomatoes planted against a chain link fence that I covered in chicken wire to keep out the larger animals. I am probably going to build a vertical cover to lean against the fence but for now I am just waiting to see what happens. We also have raccoons in our yard so I have to think about how to cover things to keep them out.

I did decide to plant our melons sprawling over the ground instead of vertical because I thought they would be easier to cover up. Last year the raccoons took every single melon we grew. They really liked them. New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden Icon_evil

Hope this helps. Good luck with your garden and enjoy the challenges!
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden Empty Welcome!

Post  jenjehle 6/19/2010, 5:28 pm

Susieq~

First of all, WELCOME! New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden 61949 I hope you enjoy your time spent here on the forums! I have learned so much just reading the different topics for discussion. And using the search option, you can find previous discussions about anything and everything!

I have recently been faced with a "vole" problem. Depending on how you want to handle that, there are baits, traps and natural remedies. I read about placing jalapenos around the entrance of tunnels they dig. I just placed 2 dozen jalapeno slices in my garden and I'm hoping for the best!

There is also a product that I bought recently called Diatomaceous Earth and lightly dusted my entire garden area with it to prevent any insects that might seek to do damage to my plants.

Some of us have had to protect from birds, rabbits and squirrels. A good solution to this is bird netting. It's not horribly visible so asthetically it doesn't look too bad. It may not protect perfectly but it is a good deterent.

To scare birds away I have used cardboard covered in aluminum foil hung by string tied to my trellis. When the wind catches it, it spins and makes noise... hopefully enough to keep the birds away from my veggies and esp. strawberries. (I have bird netting in the picture below draped over the first box closest to the bottom right of the picture. I don't think it's visable.)

There are many ways to have a nice looking garden area along with doing your best to keeping those irritating little rodents and insects from destroying all your hard work. There's no perfect solution but there's many things you can try.

Here's a recent picture of my gardens. You can search through the Gallery and find pictures of some very beautiful SFG's!

New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden Img_6114
jenjehle
jenjehle

Female Posts : 248

http://picasaweb.google.com/107169543203897472824?feat=email

Back to top Go down

Post  susieq 6/19/2010, 8:04 pm

New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden 109486
Thanks Lisa and Jenny for the welcome and replies. I appreciate your input. Hopefully the critters don't get to curious or hungry tonight as I am not prepared to cover them tonight. I have it only about 25% done. I thought I could get some more plants today, but have learned that I will need to start some more from seed. Thought I was too late for that but have been told I can still plant lettuce, beans, peas etc. Guess I'll try that and see. I may try Lisa's suggestion of a tin foil "scare-crow".
Jenny, I liked your garden picture! I may try the netting as well. I'm picturing bunny getting entangled in it!!! New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden Icon_albino
Thanks
Keep you posted on my adventures! New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden Icon_flower
Sue
susieq

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 6/19/2010, 9:16 pm

Welcome. If you will scan over the last month's posts, you'll find lots of suggestions for protecting your garden from all kinds of pests. One of my favourites for fruit trees is to hang old CD disks. They twirl in the lightest breeze and the mirrored side really reflects the sun. They could be hung above your SFG to deter birds.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  jenjehle 6/19/2010, 11:00 pm

susieq wrote:New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden 109486
Jenny, I liked your garden picture! I may try the netting as well. I'm picturing bunny getting entangled in it!!! New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden Icon_albino
Thanks
Keep you posted on my adventures! New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden Icon_flower
Sue

Don't forget to post some of your own pictures in the Gallery! We'd love to see your progress. And you'll be glad when you are able to go back and see where you started. I love going through my pictures of early on when all the plants were so tiny and new! The entire process from start to finish is a blast! New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden 418730
jenjehle
jenjehle

Female Posts : 248

http://picasaweb.google.com/107169543203897472824?feat=email

Back to top Go down

Post  susieq 6/20/2010, 1:46 am

Thanks belfrybat for the cd suggestion. I'll bet that look really pretty when the sun reflects off from them! I will check back over old posts last month.

Jenny, I took a couple pictures today. I'll have to figure out how to post them. I'm not a computer wiz... I'll be away tomorrow (spur of the moment anniversary get away!) Then Monday work and Kindergarten graduation, so it will probably be a couple days before I'm back on. I'll keep you updated!
Thanks,
Sue New Member; New Question pest control and vertical garden Herz
susieq

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum