Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group. Toplef10Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group. I22gcj10Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group. Toplef10Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group. I22gcj10Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group.

5 posters

Go down

Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group. Empty Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group.

Post  milaneyjane 6/16/2010, 4:35 pm

I have two phenominal William Baffin climbing rose bushes I planted last spring. My arbor has been just dripping in a solid mass of roses the last two months. About a month ago I noticed some little catterpilar chewing holes in the leaves, but from what I read it was not doing any damage to the plant. We have had rain for several days and today it is finally sunny. I went out and saw my roses COVERED in bug infestation #2, false japanese beetles. :suspect: They were devouring the plants. They say they will also go after peas, beans, cucs etc.... I felt horrible doing it but as long as they were isolated on the roses, I hosed them down the roses with Ortho Ecosense (pyrethrins) insecticide before they spread to the vegetables that are just feet away. I feel horrible knowing many bees are going to be killed as well. No

I also went ahead since I don't have flowers yet on the veges and sprayed the vege plants. I never ever spray my plants but I am hoping since it is early in the season and there are no veges yet I can get ahead of the beetles by being preventative.

I seriously will get rid of the beautiful rose plants if this is going to be ongoing bug problems. YUCKY!!!!! I can't stand those nasty creatures.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group. Empty Re: Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group.

Post  Chopper 6/16/2010, 4:39 pm

The thing with some bugs is that they have massive years and they have so-so ears. So it may not be an issue. If this is the kind that is a grub in your lawn before becoming a beetle, there are lots of really decent organic ways to treat it. Look at the gardens alive online catalog for ideas.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group. Empty Re: Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group.

Post  LaFee 6/16/2010, 4:44 pm

You might want to keep your roses.

The winemakers of the Champagne region plant a rosebush at the end of every row of vines. They're pretty, yes, but that's not their real purpose. The true purpose of a rosebush at the end of every row of vines is to alert the grower to the presence of pests in the vineyard.

Seems the blighters will always attack the roses before they attack the vines, so the growers get a warning of what's afoot. They treat the roses at the same time as they treat the vines, so the roses continue to be beautiful.

Roses are not only beautiful, but they serve as a very effective sentry and early warning system for the stuff you REALLY don't want to lose.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  new2this 6/17/2010, 8:24 am

I didnt' realize that, laFee - that is interesting.
new2this

Female Posts : 215

Back to top Go down

Heeby Jeebies---add me to the bug group. Empty vineyard roses

Post  ander217 6/17/2010, 8:54 am

Thanks for the info, LaFee. My older daughter's in-laws own a vineyard and winery in Mendocino County, CA. They also plant a rose bush at the end of each row of grapes, - they call it "Tuscan-style" - but I had no idea it had a purpose other than sheer beauty. I guess the roses act sort of like canaries in the old coal mines.

I've been trying to decide what to plant on an arbor we plan to build over our garden gate. Maybe roses will be just the thing.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 6/19/2010, 9:32 am

The roses are staying for now....BUT.... the beetles are back just two days later. The spray is supposed to last for several weeks. We got some rain one night but I can't imagine that it all washed off. Went out yesterday and saw them so I am out to spray again.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down