Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Training squash on a ladder trellis Toplef10Training squash on a ladder trellis 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Training squash on a ladder trellis I22gcj10Training squash on a ladder trellis 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Training squash on a ladder trellis Toplef10Training squash on a ladder trellis 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Training squash on a ladder trellis I22gcj10Training squash on a ladder trellis 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Training squash on a ladder trellis

5 posters

Go down

Training squash on a ladder trellis Empty Training squash on a ladder trellis

Post  pattipan 6/14/2010, 2:11 pm

My spaghetti squash has just started to send out tendrils and I am wondering how to train it to a wooden ladder type trellis. The plants are still rather small, but one tendril has already grasped hold of a nearby nasturtium leaf! Should I dangle some twine down from the first rung and redirect the tendril...or wait until the plant really begins to vine and tie it up to the first rung??

Anyone else have vining squash further along on a wooden trellis? I'd love to hear how you are training your vines!

I'll try to take a picture of squash and trellis later so you can see our "one-of-a-kind-made-from-what-we-had-on-hand trellis." Smile

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Training squash on a ladder trellis Empty Re: Training squash on a ladder trellis

Post  chocolatepop 6/14/2010, 2:30 pm

pattipan wrote:My spaghetti squash has just started to send out tendrils and I am wondering how to train it to a wooden ladder type trellis. The plants are still rather small, but one tendril has already grasped hold of a nearby nasturtium leaf! Should I dangle some twine down from the first rung and redirect the tendril...or wait until the plant really begins to vine and tie it up to the first rung??

Anyone else have vining squash further along on a wooden trellis? I'd love to hear how you are training your vines!

I'll try to take a picture of squash and trellis later so you can see our "one-of-a-kind-made-from-what-we-had-on-hand trellis." Smile

Patti

I used a ladder last year, but critters got to my plants first.

I did do sketti squash and once it started sending out feelers, I tied it up once, maybe twice, then it needed NO help what so ever.

It is really fun to watch though. How big is it right now?
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Training squash on a ladder trellis Empty Re: Training squash on a ladder trellis

Post  pattipan 6/19/2010, 3:22 pm

Finally got around to taking that picture of the squash trellis my DH built. This is the one for the spaghetti squash (Small Wonder hybrid). I used jute twine to get it going up to the first rung.

Training squash on a ladder trellis Squash15

The front of the "ladder" (on the right) is 24" wide so it will fit within two squares. It's sitting right against that conduit trellis for some tomato plants. The back side (left) is just wide enough to accommodate the front and it does fit very snug. We wired it at the top and also wired it to rebar at ground level to make sure it would stay put. Our SFG is on a slight slope, so the one rebar is actually through that brick. I have a feeling the vines will be longer than our trellis, but we'll take note for next year! DH also built one for our Bonbon squash (buttercup hybrid). The vines for it are only supposed to be 8-10 ft. so, it will probably be okay.

That bright red flower is a nasturtium I planted in the corner of the box.

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/19/2010, 3:38 pm

I love it - looks like it stores easily, too. You could always throw a net over the face too, if desired. Very nice.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jenjehle 6/19/2010, 5:47 pm

I don't have any "ladder" trellis's but I do have melons that I'm training to climb. To get them started on climbing, I used some veggies ties and just secured the first couple of vines near the bottom. Now they are about 1/3 way up the trellis and they are going up on their own now.

Training squash on a ladder trellis Img_6115
jenjehle
jenjehle

Female Posts : 248

http://picasaweb.google.com/107169543203897472824?feat=email

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 6/29/2010, 9:24 pm

And after only 10 days growth since my last picture here...this crazy squash has reached the top of the trellis and over. I've already trimmed off a few branching vines (every bud/junction sprouts a new vine branch -- yikes!). I don't remember it getting this big last year! Some of the branches are reaching out for the tomato trellis next by. Will it eventually slow down or will it keep branching out?

Training squash on a ladder trellis Spagsq10

And the first little Small Wonder spaghetti squash. Too cute. :-)
Training squash on a ladder trellis 1stspa10

Here's the BonBon squash vine & trellis. It's looking a little tamer, but it's just beginning to go up the trellis. You can see I added some vertical twine to the trellis here. Did the same for the spaghetti squash, but you can barely even see it now!

Training squash on a ladder trellis Bonbon11

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 6/29/2010, 10:51 pm

im not sure abotu your sketti plant, but mine got about 15 ft tall/long.... it grabbed onto a local tree and i had about 3 squash growing from a tree!
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 3/4/2012, 4:41 pm

Hi Patti,

was wondering how your spaghetti squash plant ended up. It really was growing big in your last pix! Smile Did you trim off any more of the big outer leaves? How well did it produce growing on the trellis?

Training squash on a ladder trellis 109486 Evelyn
efirvin
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down