Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite Toplef10Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite I22gcj10Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite Toplef10Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite I22gcj10Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite

+9
Colin.B
Icemaiden
Garden_State
Chopper
Wyldflower
lizzo
Jola
martha
timwardell
13 posters

Go down

Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite Empty Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite

Post  timwardell 6/9/2010, 10:22 pm

Hey Everyone,

As part of my SFG teaching endeavors I've started an internet radio show about Square Foot Gardening called Gardening for Squares and this weekend's show is all about vermiculite!

The show airs live this Sunday, June 13 at 5:30 PM CST (that's Central time in the USA -6:00 GMT). You can hear it at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/gardeningforsquares

Once the show is recorded, you can download a MP3 version to your computer. You can also hear it anytime at the show's official web site at http://www.gardeningforsquares.com/ (and while you're there, check out the first two shows featuring our Forum's very own boffer and belfrybat)

My guest this week is Phil A. West, General Manager of Palmetto Vermiculite Co.,Inc., which sells vermiculite to major greenhouses on the East Coast. Phil is a gardener himself as well as a manager of residential landscapes for real estate properties. We'll be talking about all things vermiculite as it constitutes 1/3 of the Mel's Mix. Please tune in to learn everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite!
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite Empty Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite

Post  martha 6/9/2010, 10:24 pm

Well, my goodness, Tim, I am impressed! I will be heading over to your site right now, and I certainly hope to catch the show on Sunday!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite Empty Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite

Post  Jola 6/9/2010, 10:38 pm

I'll be anxiously waiting for that program. Thanks.
Jola
Jola

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  lizzo 6/9/2010, 11:51 pm

what number is that on my dial?
lizzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 6/9/2010, 11:58 pm

lizzo wrote:what number is that on my dial?
timwardell wrote:
The show airs live this Sunday, June 13 at 5:30 PM CST (that's Central time in the USA -6:00 GMT). You can hear it at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/gardeningforsquares
It's on internet radio... just click on the link at the appointed time, and make sure your sound is on, on your computer. Or you can go to the second link Tim posted and listen to the program anytime after it originally is webcast.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/10/2010, 12:02 am

Very exciting Tim!
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden_State 6/10/2010, 6:36 am

WOW! You go Tim.
Garden_State
Garden_State

Male Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 6/10/2010, 7:47 am

Ooh, good!
Do you do requests?
What I want to know is: is there any difference between vermiculite sold for agriculture and vermiculite sold in the building trade? Do different standards apply and would it be possible for the building sort to contain something which would be undesirable in a garden?
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin.B 6/10/2010, 7:53 am

Nice one i'll tune in when i can , and good luck i help run an online radio station myself so i know how hard they can be
Colin.B

Male Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 6/10/2010, 10:10 am

I'm so glad the cat's out of the bag. Tim had asked me to be quiet about this until he announced it. The lovely thing about his radio show is you don't have to listen to it while it's being broadcast but can do so at your leisure. NOW I can tell my friends about being a radio star! Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite Icon_biggrin Thanks, Tim.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/10/2010, 9:26 pm

Hey BB, have you received your check in the mail yet, like Tim promised? Me neither! Wink
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 6/10/2010, 11:07 pm

boffer wrote:Hey BB, have you received your check in the mail yet, like Tim promised? Me neither! Wink

Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite Icon_eek He promised you a check?!?!?! Not fair! All he promised me was fame and fortune, but DID NOT specify how the fortune would come about. Sheesh!
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 6/11/2010, 8:59 pm

Icemaiden wrote:What I want to know is: is there any difference between vermiculite sold for agriculture and vermiculite sold in the building trade? Do different standards apply and would it be possible for the building sort to contain something which would be undesirable in a garden?
Good question Icemaiden. I've added it to my list. Should be a good conversation with lots of info.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/12/2010, 10:37 am

Can he provide a definitive source that we can direct folks to, that officially puts the vermiculite-asbestos story to bed?
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 6/12/2010, 9:51 pm

Congrats Tim - well deserved!

I can't wait to listen to the radio show.

Best of Luckl

Happy Gardening Everyone....
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 6/13/2010, 8:00 am

First two programmes are great Tim (and interviewees) so looking forward to the next one Everything you ever wanted to know about vermiculite Icon_biggrin
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/13/2010, 6:27 pm

it's showtime! happy dance
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  chexmix 6/14/2010, 12:37 am

Great Show Tim. Learned a lot more about vermiculite. Palmetto is where my vermic comes from.

Matter of fact, I have 4 of the 4 cubic ft bags in my garage. Since it has been hard to get (ordered what I have middle of May) thought I should get extra because I know my garden will be bigger next year.
chexmix
chexmix

Female Posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down