Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
can you diagnose my garden please?? Toplef10can you diagnose my garden please?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

can you diagnose my garden please?? I22gcj10can you diagnose my garden please?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
can you diagnose my garden please?? Toplef10can you diagnose my garden please?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

can you diagnose my garden please?? I22gcj10can you diagnose my garden please?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

can you diagnose my garden please??

+4
Chopper
Jola
martha
staciz
8 posters

Go down

can you diagnose my garden please?? Empty can you diagnose my garden please??

Post  staciz 6/9/2010, 6:25 pm

Almost everything seems to be growing well (except a few cucumbers and hot peppers that were transplants) BUT I'm having leaves being eaten and some dark spotting.

Any ideas on what the problems are and how to fix?? About a week ago, I took some of my bitten leaves to a local gardening store...they sold me some organic pesticide called "Concern". I used it then, but feel like things are still being munched on.

TIA!!

lettuce
can you diagnose my garden please?? Lettuce

basil
can you diagnose my garden please?? Basil

bell pepper- this one has holes AND some kind of black pattern on it- looks like dirt, but it's not
can you diagnose my garden please?? Pepperleaf

same bell pepper- see the dark stems? normal??
can you diagnose my garden please?? Pepper
staciz

Back to top Go down

can you diagnose my garden please?? Empty Re: can you diagnose my garden please??

Post  staciz 6/9/2010, 10:46 pm

anyone?
staciz

Back to top Go down

can you diagnose my garden please?? Empty Re: can you diagnose my garden please??

Post  martha 6/9/2010, 10:54 pm

Staci, I searched and searched and SEARCHED on the 'net and couldn't find anything that seemed to be a perfect match. I know I have seen those black dots on plants before, but before SFG, I didn't try to fix problems, because it seemed like such a losing battle.

I did read somewhere someone having a stem that looks like yours, and the suggestion was to make sure it wasn't really dark purple, in which case it would be normal.

The only other question I have is, what has the weather been like for you lately?
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Jola 6/9/2010, 11:04 pm

As for the holes - growing organically holes happen. There will always be some earwig, caterpillar, slug, which will get to your plant. Unless it is really serious problem I would just carefully observe, and try to hand pick the culprit if I see it. As for the black spots - hard to say, looks like some kind of fungus. Purple stems on peppers are normal, like martha said.
Jola
Jola

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  staciz 6/9/2010, 11:11 pm

ok, i think it might be dark purple. so glad to hear it's normal!!

should i tear off the leaves that have the black spots on them?? it's not all of the leaves on there. and the peppers are growing, so i am REALLY wanting to save them!

as for the critters...i read on here about people wanting earthworms and ladybugs....i saw a worm all curled up the other day...it was white and fight and in a circle. i didn't know if it was a good critter or a bad on though!

so much to learn...

oh, martha- our weather has been gloomy. we had a week or so of sunshine and now it's just gloomy and around 68 every day all day. very little rain. i'm in socal.
staciz

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/9/2010, 11:24 pm

1. Most flies/wasps/bees any size good.
2. Most beetles bad, except ladybugs.
3. Any worm but an earthworm bad.
4. Moths bad.
5. Things that are slimy (see earthworm exception) bad.
6. Anything with its little mouth filled with your veggies (family excepted) bad.

There's the list. can you diagnose my garden please?? Icon_smile
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  staciz 6/9/2010, 11:31 pm

thanks chopper! helpful list. now an even more elementary question...if i see one of these, what do i do with it?? to throw it out of the garden makes me think it will just come back. so does that mean i have to kill it?
staciz

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/9/2010, 11:32 pm

Thanks, I think I can get all of that on a large plant marker so it's handy.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  PB 6/9/2010, 11:35 pm

Yep, laminated and handy.....
Thank you Chopper.
PB
PB

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/10/2010, 1:13 am

staciz wrote:thanks chopper! helpful list. now an even more elementary question...if i see one of these, what do i do with it?? to throw it out of the garden makes me think it will just come back. so does that mean i have to kill it?

I am afraid so. A lot of people drop bugs they find into soapy water. I either squish them with my fingers or step on them. Hate to do it, but they have everything else in the yard to munch, they can't have my vegetable garden. Sorry guys. Although with hornworms I usually just walk them to the trash b/c that goes over my internal gross meter.

Otherwise, most bugs respond to Neem Oil, but it will kill beneficials too. Bt is another gardner's friend.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PB 6/10/2010, 9:54 am

I thought if you sprayed Neem early in the AM or late in the PM when the bees and such werent working it was safe for the beneficials. Only sucking and chewing bugs were affected. I am really trying very hard to do this thing organically, but If it keeps on I am temped to go Sevin dust.....
PB
PB

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/10/2010, 10:59 am

I wouldn't worry about an occasional hole or two.

Those tiny black specks are probably the eggs of a cabbage moth. Quick, spray those leaves with something organic, before they hatch into caterpillars!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Jola 6/10/2010, 11:15 am

staciz, you should remove leaves if you think it is fungus, but only affected leaves. The list you got from Chopper is great. I knock the bad guy to a bucket with soapy water, trying not to touch them (I have caterpillar-fobia, so it is hard for me to even look at them).
If you have any problem try more natural approach, before you reach for chemicals. There are several "organic" kill-something recipes, and you can find them on the internet. I use many of Jerry Baker's recipes. I have small yard so it works fine. For example I spray my whole yard once a week (or so) with mixture of liquid dish soap, antiseptic mouthwash, and tobacco juice (not on tomatoes though), it repels bugs. I feed my grass beer and sugar from time to time, etc.
You might try to spray that black spots on peppers, if you see them again, with the mixture:
1 Tbsp of baking soda
1 Tbsp of vegetable oil (any)
1 Tbsp of Murphy's soap
in 1 gallon of water. Spray lightly once a week.
Jola
Jola

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

can you diagnose my garden please?? Empty beetles

Post  ander217 6/10/2010, 11:34 am

I would add ground beetles (carabids) to the list of good beetles along with ladybugs. They eat bad bugs and larvae.

They are the long, black, hard-shelled beetles, although some kinds have iridescent shells, and a few are even brightly colored. They eat everything from potato bug larvae to slugs to cutworms.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum