Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! Toplef10My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! I22gcj10My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! Toplef10My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! I22gcj10My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My Summer Crops are still not growing. HELP!

+4
Chopper
Retired Member 1
Megan
kirkr44@aol.com
8 posters

Go down

My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! Empty My Summer Crops are still not growing. HELP!

Post  kirkr44@aol.com 6/7/2010, 10:06 pm

I posted a week ago, about how much to water my summer crops. I then discovered I wasn't watering enough. Because drainage was good. However, its been a week now since I have been watering morning and evening, and still no improvement. Is it because the weather here in South Dakota (SE) sioux falls, has been cool. The temp has not reached 85 since I started watering twice a day.

However, my neighbor has a raised bed, (not mels mix) and his tomato and eggplant look great, their getting bigger everyday. Could it be because they fertilize it with chemicals,and my plants will just take longer? Im trying not to let it bother me, but I put so much time, money, and effort into this garden. Please help.
Kirk Rangel
kirkr44@aol.com

Back to top Go down

My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! Empty Re: My Summer Crops are still not growing. HELP!

Post  Megan 6/7/2010, 10:09 pm

Did your neighbor start from direct-seeded in the ground, or transplants? What did you do?
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! Empty Re: My Summer Crops are still not growing. HELP!

Post  kirkr44@aol.com 6/7/2010, 10:13 pm

My neighbor and I both transplanted our summer crops.
kirkr44@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/7/2010, 10:17 pm

I don't know what to suggest, except that I sympathize with you. I put a lot of time and money into my SFG, too, and some of my plants (especially my tomatoes) are still quite small. But it is quite an adventure and I am having great fun with it.

One thing I will say is that my plants seemed like they were in suspended animation for the longest time until the ground really got warm and the nights, especially, got warm and stayed that way (which even now is a little iffy.) Since you are further north than me, maybe you just need to wait a while longer. I certainly have suffered through many weeks of Plant Envy watching those huge plants starts at Home Depot etc. while mine sprouted from seed in-ground. But they are starting to take off now, and at least I know their life cycle is in synch with the seasons here. I might not get a harvest from all of them, but then I'll know for next year.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 6/7/2010, 10:49 pm

Mel's mix is only as good as the composts that go into it, and mine has been less than stellar. I am using regular doses of Miracle Grow clone (a soluble 15-30-15 fertilizer) made up half strength. I also put rabbit manure around the heavy feeders. Since doing that, I've seen a great improvement in all the veggies except okra. As my own compost matures I'll put that around the plants also.

Like many on this forum, I prefer to garden organically, but at times choose to use chemicals to give the plants a boost. BTW, I understand Miracle Grow puts out a certified organic version of their soluble fertilizer.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/8/2010, 12:12 am

I agree with belfrybat. Especially the first year when you do not control your compost, you may need some extra boost of food.

I am also wondering if you need to water twice a day. I am in So Cal and I only do 2X a day occasionally. Since MM does hold the water if you have a decent amount of peat and vermiculite, it pays to check moisture first. It might be better to water once, longer than twice. But that may or may not be an issue with your slow plants. More likely it is the food they still need.

I use fish emulsion, epsom salts, cal/mag pills I grind up and sometimes miracle grow also - mainly b/c these are things I already have on hand. Try feeding 2X this week then once every 10 day or so and see if there is any change. (says Dr Clare - or do what you want! LOL)
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! Empty Slow start

Post  ander217 6/8/2010, 9:25 am

Are the leaves of your plants pale green rather than deep green, or are they yellowing or showing red color in the veins? Those would indicate deficiencies, and you should probably boost them with a dose of fish emulsion or whatever type fertilizer you prefer.

If they are just sitting there, looking healthy but not growing, it may be as Megan said and they just need a few days of warm temperatures to get started.

If you purchased your transplants from the store, sometimes growers spray plants with a growth-regulating hormone that keeps them from growing too fast or setting buds so they will be more uniform in size and hold longer during periods of slack sales. It sometimes takes a few weeks for that to wear off.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! Empty the leaves are pale green, and wilted.

Post  kirkr44@aol.com 6/8/2010, 10:44 pm

My peppers look pathetic, and my tomatoes are not doing anything.
what do you think?

My instincts are telling me a fertilizer, however, I dont want to use chemicals. I thought my worm poop or black gold was going to be like what I read about, the best organic fertilizer you could buy. Not so, did i not use it right?
im so confused.
But am loving all of the responses and suggestions
keep em coming,
kirk
kirkr44@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/9/2010, 4:18 am

kirkr44@aol.com wrote:My peppers look pathetic, and my tomatoes are not doing anything.
what do you think?

My instincts are telling me a fertilizer, however, I dont want to use chemicals. I thought my worm poop or black gold was going to be like what I read about, the best organic fertilizer you could buy. Not so, did i not use it right?
im so confused.
But am loving all of the responses and suggestions
keep em coming,
kirk

Organic fertilizers are slower than the chemical fertilizers. It would help to know what zone/ area you are in and if it has been hot or cool there. Are your veggies running slower than other people in the neighborhood or is everyone having problems? Or are you terminally impatient and watching grass grow just ain't your thing. LOL My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! Icon_smile

So use chemical fertilizer or don't. If it has been cool, consider a plastic cover for your box to get things warmed up. Other than that, I don't know. As said, if everything looks deep green, it probably isn't fertilizer. But, who knows - there are lots of micro and macro nutrients.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Little Thumb 6/9/2010, 11:01 am

Try some Fox Farm Grow Big, it is an organic fertilizer. I love it for my seedlings indoors, use can use it in the garden too. Maybe the plants just need a warmer soil. I know when I first did my beds, I didn't give them enough water and the tops where very dry all the time even when I did water. It wasn't until after a really good rain that things started to grow for me. It could be that the soil just isn't wet enough all the way down.

Little Thumb
Little Thumb

Female Posts : 126

Back to top Go down

My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! Empty I am going to try Miracle gro (organic) fertilizer

Post  kirkr44@aol.com 6/10/2010, 7:21 am

to Chopper
I live in zone 4, and it has been cool. we have not had temps over 85 yet, unfortunately we have another cool front coming now, and thunderstorms. I did talk to my neighbor yesterday, and the reason his summer plants are so much bigger than mine, is because of fertilizer, Miracle gro, and mushroom compost.
thanks for your help
kirkr44@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  1chichi 6/10/2010, 8:54 am

They don't call it Miracle Grow for nothing My Summer Crops are still not growing.  HELP! Icon_cool .
My plants grow like crazy when I give them a shot of it about every 10 days.
Also, I used the mushroom compost, cow, chicken, & plant compost.
1chichi
1chichi

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/10/2010, 1:19 pm

I have found organic bloodmeal to be the boost my plants need. My own compost I still find to be nitrogen poor; that is a work in progress. After two weeks of hot weather this week has been cooler, but we have had 3.75 inches of rain in the past 5 days so everything is amply watered.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down