Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I finally got something to show! Toplef10I finally got something to show! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I finally got something to show! I22gcj10I finally got something to show! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I finally got something to show! Toplef10I finally got something to show! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I finally got something to show! I22gcj10I finally got something to show! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I finally got something to show!

4 posters

Go down

I finally got something to show! Empty I finally got something to show!

Post  jinx 6/7/2010, 7:41 pm

Been a while since I was here so to sum up: before spring hit I went on a hunt to get items for free to build boxes. I ended up with some bricks but had no luck working with brick mortar and gave up after a few tries. I just couldn't get the mortar mixed to a good consistency using partial bags and doing the whole bag at once was to much to work with since I was slow... so I gave up. (Now going to use my free bricks to extend our patio.)

I then found some free shipping crates and real estate signs and I have finally got something to show....

I finally got something to show! 2010-011

This is a shot of one of the shipping crates.

I finally got something to show! 2010-012

This is the crate after we painted it and put bricks in the bottom to fill in some of the extra depth.

I finally got something to show! 2010-013

This is after we put the real estate sign in on top of the bricks and lined the painted box with plastic. We have drilled drain holes in the sign.

I finally got something to show! 2010-014

This is after we have filled the box with Mel's mix soil and planted our salsa plants. We used a neighbors old mini blinds stapled together and thumb tacked to the box sides for our grid.

I finally got something to show! P6082310

This is a box I built on the ground with a real estate sign for our cucumbers, pumpkin, zucchini and other squash. Our garden area had a slight slop so the boulders are a small retaining wall we put in to level it out. The retaining wall is acting as one side of the garden box. I hope there is plenty of room above the retaining wall for the vines to grow.

I finally got something to show! P6082311

Here is a shot near ground level to get a better perspective of the retaining wall. Now that our plants are all in I can spend some time on finishing touches on the isle ways and making the garden pretty.

I have 1 more shipping crate painted and ready to fill and two others to expand next year. This is my first year gardening and I am so glad I found SFG because it has made it easy to understand. The step by step directions have really been helpful.

Thanks Mel!!
Jinx (Jennie)
jinx
jinx

Female Posts : 99

Back to top Go down

I finally got something to show! Empty Re: I finally got something to show!

Post  boffer 6/7/2010, 10:20 pm

Hi,
I've been wondering how your brick work was going. That's too bad it didn't work out for you after all the effort to get them home. But it looks like Plan B is a winner! alrighta The shipping crates look great, and it's clever how you let the 'retaining' wall be a side of a bed.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

I finally got something to show! Empty Thanks Boffer

Post  jinx 6/7/2010, 10:34 pm

Nice to know someone was thinking about me. I was a little disappointed with myself and the mortar. Your wife's work was so good it inspired me. I think the cold had a lot to do with it to. My first attempt seemed to go fine until the next day, then it just kind of crumbled. But I'll find purpose for my bricks, I still love them so they won't go to waste. Now that I have stuff planted I started my photo album in the gallery so I'll be on more often now with updated pictures.
jinx
jinx

Back to top Go down

Post  Nurse Grams 6/7/2010, 11:50 pm

Wonderful summary and the pictures are superb! Thanks for sharing!

How did you come to find the source for the free shipping boxes and real estate signs. (Can you tell I want to copy what you've done!?) I'd love to be able to access some of those shipping boxes if there were a source in Michigan.

Looking forward to future updates of progress through the season!
Nurse Grams
Nurse Grams

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  1chichi 6/8/2010, 12:03 am

Your garden is a real inspiration! I love the recycling aspect of it.
That's a pretty horse in the background too. I finally got something to show! Icon_flower
1chichi
1chichi

Back to top Go down

I finally got something to show! Empty RE: something to show

Post  jinx 6/8/2010, 10:35 am

Morning all!

Nurse Grams,

We have a really good classifieds website here in Utah (www.ksl.com) that has a 'free' section. I've just been haunting it and picking stuff up here and there as things come available.

The shipping crates came from an independent film maker who built the crates in order for a helicopter to be able to drop equipment on a mountain top where they were shooting. Once they were done with their mountain shooting they didn't need them any more so listed them. I also found our neighbor with the free mini blinds there. Also bricks, landscaping rocks (small ones, but bigger then gravel).

The real estate signs came on a flatbed trailer my husband bought a few years back. We had them stored in the barn and had forgotten about them until I went looking for something to put in the shipping crates to take up some of the extra depth. He was going to use them to re-floor the hay loft since they are made with high marine grade wood. But I convenscated them.

1chichi,

Recycling things to build my boxes started out of necessity since I had a very small budget that was pretty much only enough for the supplies to make Mel's soil mix. Meeting some of my neighbors in the hunt as well as helping keep some reusable stuff out of the landfills was just a bonus side effect.

Thanks for your comment on my Pete. He is a rescue horse and is coming along great. When we rescued him you could see all his ribs, hip bones and back bone to the point of scary. He has filled out nicely, we are now just working with a farrier trying to get his hooves healthy. Since he was so malnurished the hoof growth during that time is weak and splitting. But the new hoof growth since we've had him is strong so he should be prefect in a few more months. He is my gentle giant at 17 hands.

Happy gardening! I finally got something to show! Icon_razz
Jinx (Jenn)
jinx
jinx

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum