Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Toplef10UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 I22gcj10UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Toplef10UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 I22gcj10UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

UpSo: Garden Updates June 1

5 posters

Go down

UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Empty UpSo: Garden Updates June 1

Post  pattipan 6/1/2010, 4:33 pm

UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Firsts10

Thought I would begin by posting a picture of the first strawberries from our raised containers/boxes. That was several days ago, today I picked a small bowl full!

May is such a busy time for planting, it's hard to know where to start. Everything is planted in the SFG now, except the eggplant. I am letting them get a little bigger before I put them in to begin the battle with flea beetles. I started them early indoors, but the plants are still not very big. I hope to get a least a few eggplants by September!

Here's view of the entire SFG I took this morning between rain showers:

UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Sfg_6-10

Everything seems to be doing very well, except for the green peppers and the filet beans. The pepper plants seems to be struggling. Some of the leaves have turned yellow and have fallen off. These were greenhouse plants (California Wonder). The bush filet beans did not all come up, so I replanted the missing one this morning.

What we've eaten from the SFG so far: Spinach, lots of lettuce, broccoli, radishes, peas and strawberries. I also have lots of herbs in pots, which are not in the main SFG area -- use some of them everyday!

I've also added more garden pics in my personal album. Check it out:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/Personal-album-of-pattipan-cat_u115.htm

So let's hear from the rest of you Upper Southerners now about your SFG is coming along this first day of June!
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Empty June first garden

Post  ander217 6/2/2010, 4:03 pm

I've already pulled all my lettuce except for four Red Sails plants. I'm eating the last of the spinach I pulled last week which was bolting. We still have a few German Giant (Parat) radishes which are still mild even though growing to huge sizes. The arugula is becoming bitter, too. I'll be cutting cabbage by the end of next week and thinking about what to plant in its place.

We had our first new potatoes from the rows for supper last night - they were Yukon Gold, and SO good! (We didn't intend to harvest them, but when DH pulled up a lambsquarter the whole plant came up with it, so he just picked off the tubers and we ate them.)

My peas are blooming - hope they hurry up and set pods before the weather gets any hotter. The watermelons and cucumbers are setting their first blooms, and the pole beans are putting out runners. We have tomatoes with fruits that are nearing full-size. Why does it take them so long to ripen?

The onions suddenly started swelling bulbs this week. My dad always said, "Never let a July rain touch your onions," so harvest will be at the end of this month.

Asparagus harvest is over, strawberries are gone for us, and the cherries are all picked. I also picked our gooseberries this week and made a green gooseberry crostata with crumb topping. Yum!!! In fact, I think I'll post the recipe on the recipe forum.

Now it's pretty much just sit and wait for the summer harvest of beans, cukes, squash, tomatoes, peppers, okra, melons, and eggplants to begin.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Empty Re: UpSo: Garden Updates June 1

Post  Megan 6/2/2010, 7:05 pm

I spent Memorial Day weekend putting in the sprinkler system, installing the trellises, thinning and (inevitably!) adding a few more plants. Pictures here. Goes without saying but already, everything is so much bigger, I'm amazed.

We are still eating lettuce, radishes, rapini (just leaves, no flower stems yet), and baby bok choi, along with herbs and strawberries. The bok choi is bolting. The weird part is, my peas haven't even flowered yet! In fact the only plant aside from the bok choi that is showing buds is the tomatillo plant I bought. Everything else is just getting started. The lima pole beans are climbing the trellis already, though the Cherokee pole beans aren't quite that big yet. The squashes, cukes and watermelon are just starting to wake up... and I think I just saw another cuke coming out of the ground. Everything else seems healthy, just small.

What is starting to grow strongly is the amaranth. Need to keep an eye on that; I want to try clipping some leaves when it gets a little bigger.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jiro 6/2/2010, 11:02 pm

Still eating the lettuce, radishes, and sugar snap peas.

And the occasional ground cherry (cossack pineapple from SESE). Dang, those things are tasty! I plan to plant more than two ground cherry plants next year!

The green beans and tomato plants suddenly took off this week.

The stunted squares of late & directly sown lettuce are still stunted, except for a single cos... gotta figure out what to throw in those squares. The local groceries are now selling potted veggie plants on discount... might be candidates for transplanting.
Jiro
Jiro

Back to top Go down

Post  JKHamlin 6/12/2010, 4:29 pm

I finally got all 25 of my planned boxes going. Yes, this is my first year. When I first started, I didn't know that was going to be a lot.

I was worried that the green beans would be a stunted phenotype, as they are very picky about containers. As it turns out, many are normal and some are stunted. I may end up having to replant the stunted ones to see what I get.

You can see it all here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=39485951&l=78e96fb1b2&id=34320678

Also, kind of cool, you can see a satellite photo on Google of when I had it halfway done (I hope this works):

View Larger Map
JKHamlin

Male Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Empty Late peas

Post  ander217 6/13/2010, 9:13 am

[quote="Megan"] The weird part is, my peas haven't even flowered yet!
quote]
Megan, my peas were planted about the same time as usual this year, in early April, but they were SO late in flowering, too. In fact, they are just now setting on peas, and I've already picked my first ripe tomatoes and cucumbers before I've picked a single pea.

We planted Lincoln peas in the ground in beds, and two weeks later we planted an entire 1' x 8' box of them in Mel's Mix. Although the ones in the ground grew larger and faster, the ones in the Mel's Mix set peas first, and are now completely caught up with the earlier-planting. (I think the Mel's Mix planting got more sun - one of our boxes shaded the first planting a bit.)

It's a strange, strange year.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/13/2010, 9:18 am

Mine are Lincoln peas, too. They are only now starting to get "grabby". I finally set a cage around my (also tiny) cukes and went out an hour later and the peas had found it already. No sign of buds.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Empty June 13

Post  Megan 6/13/2010, 10:21 am

Too late to edit my last post, drat. But here are my poor peas, plus other pictures taken this morning.

UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Photo-780654

UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Photo%202-782540

UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Photo%203-783930

Lettuce still going strong in the foreground. So small you can barely see them, but there are tomatoes (and borage & nasturtium) in front of the trellis and peppers in back of it.
UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Photo%204-784996

Herbs, strawberries, and my hydrangea.
UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Photo%205-786251

Zucchino Rampicante, just started on the trellis.
UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Photo-718354

Christmas Pole Limas
UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Photo%202-719542

Kennebec potatoes... hopefully to get another riser today.
UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Photo%203-720575

Cherokee Trail of Tears pole beans
UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Photo%204-722892

Bee / Butterfly garden
UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Photo%205-723981

Three purple tomatillos, one Black Cherry tomato, plus borage and a nasturtium.
UpSo: Garden Updates June 1 Photo-729995
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down