Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic Toplef10Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic I22gcj10Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic Toplef10Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic I22gcj10Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic

+14
yolos
hammock gal
Dan in Ct
Kelejan
markqz
Yardslave
has55
Mikesgardn
MrBooker
countrynaturals
plantoid
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
OhioGardener
18 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic Empty Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic

Post  OhioGardener 3/27/2020, 2:18 pm

Local nurseries and garden centers are reporting panic buying of vegetable plants and seeds due to the pandemic. Many seed racks are empty and awaiting resupply. Tractor Supply Company is even reporting that people are buying all of the baby chicks they can get, they can't get orders of chicks fast enough to meet customer demand.

I hope all of those seeds and plants will be actually used and grown into productive vegetables and not wasted. As for the chicks, I don't know what is going to happen to all of them.   But, I'm glad I planned ahead and ordered all of my seeds back in January.

Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic Plan_a10

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4504

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic Empty Re: Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic

Post  sanderson 3/27/2020, 4:54 pm

What was that old saying? Proper planning prevents problems?

The chicks are a concern as many are clueless as to what is needed to care for them.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic Empty Re: Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/27/2020, 6:18 pm

That’s nuts!  This will all be over-ish by mid-summer.  Ohio has been very proactive
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/27/2020, 6:38 pm

I think you are being extremely over optimistic on that one Scorpio . China has officially had it since late December 2019 & it's still there , now appearing to be starting  it's second wave as people come out from their great two month lock down . If it turns out to be seasonal like normal flu we will see a massive resurgence come the normal annual flu season from October through to may 2021 .  

Luckily I purchased all my seeds & onion sets just before Christmas last year .   Our shops still had loads of flowers but a fraction of their veg seeds according to Alison . I'm square wheeled  inside the curtilage of our property  for another 11 weeks at least Al & Holly doing the shoppingand taking great care to stay seven  feet apart from others as [er recommendations of our chief medical officer.  , they immediately  use a 60 % or more alcohol hand cleanser  on getting in the car then having a proper scrub upat home  before putting the wiped down cans, jars & packages away then another soap & water clean up of their hands as soap & water is supposedly the best thing most of us have access to , to  break down the virus on skin .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/27/2020, 8:42 pm

OhioGardener wrote:  But, I'm glad I planned ahead and ordered all of my seeds back in January.

Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic Plan_a10
darn funny
Me too on the seeds.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 3/28/2020, 7:55 am

No shortage in my area so far. Plenty of seeds, plants, compost and other goodies. Maybe it's because our county has so few cases, although, we have the panic buying on toilet paper and things like that.
I don't understand the panic bottled water buying. You want water? Turn your faucet on.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 735

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/28/2020, 8:46 am

MrBooker wrote:I don't understand the panic bottled water buying. You want water? Turn your faucet on.

It is much like the panic buying when there is a major storm with long power outages predicted - people rush out and totally buy out the stores of milk, bread and eggs, so they can still make their french toast.  Not food that be eaten without power, but milk, bread, and eggs.  Shocked

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 3/28/2020, 9:50 pm

I don't plant seeds indoors.  My little house is a bit too cramped.  I do plant seeds outside based on what can be grown from seed in Maryland.   So I do rely on a local greenhouse for tomatoes, peppers, etc.   
I'm thinking the local greenhouse will look like the toilet paper shelves in my local grocery store.  
I hope not, but this is a weird year.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/29/2020, 1:14 am

I escaped the house today and went to a local nursery.  I picked out the plants and Ken went inside to pay.  I mainly bought fill-in plants for those seeds that failed to germinate, or germinated so late that they can't be set out with the rest of the herd. Jimmy Nardello. Red and Yellow bells, and Banana peppers, 2 varieties of Strawberries, Flowers, and a couple of herbs.
Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic Seedli21

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/29/2020, 10:07 am

sanderson wrote:I escaped the house today and went to a local nursery.  I picked out the plants and Ken went inside to pay.  I mainly bought fill-in plants for those seeds that failed to germinate, or germinated so late that they can't be set out with the rest of the herd.  Jimmy Nardello. Red and Yellow bells, and Banana peppers, 2 varieties of Strawberries, Flowers, and a couple of herbs.
Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic Seedli21
I'll bet it felt good to get out and feel almost normal. alrighta
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/29/2020, 5:09 pm

Yes, it did! We also went through McDonald's for unhealthy fries, Diet Coke and hot fudge sundaes. My body didn't thank me at all. Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/29/2020, 6:28 pm

sanderson wrote:Yes, it did!  We also went through McDonald's for unhealthy fries, Diet Coke and hot fudge sundaes.  My body didn't thank me at all. Razz
I did it this morning at Wendy's. Paid the price. UGH! Making juice from the garden a hour ago to drink this evening. Sanderson, What you bought remind me of being a kid. Very Happy
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/29/2020, 6:40 pm

has55 wrote:
sanderson wrote:Yes, it did!  We also went through McDonald's for unhealthy fries, Diet Coke and hot fudge sundaes.  My body didn't thank me at all. Razz
I did it this morning at Wendy's. Paid the price. UGH! Making juice from the garden a hour ago to drink this evening. Sanderson, What you bought remind me of being a kid. Very Happy

Gosh, I'm glad I stayed home an made Kale Chips, instead of going out for that Chick-fil-a sandwich that I have been craving! Smile

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/29/2020, 7:42 pm

MacDonalds Uk are closed as of Monday 23 March 2020 to try and help prevent the Corona 19 virus .. Our Holly is furloughed till further notice on 80 % of her average wage under the governments containment scheme .  As handling cash or touching peoples hands when at the kiosk window & being in close proximity to carriers in their  kitchen is too risky .

Stay safe folks , it's starting to look far worse than you think .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 3/29/2020, 7:48 pm

Lady in front of me at the DollarTree store bought hands full of veggie seeds. Guess she's not too optimistic about how long this COVID-19 pandemic will last affraid affraid affraid, either that or she can use the paper packets when the next TP shortage hits.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 3/29/2020, 7:57 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
Gosh, I'm glad I stayed home an made Kale Chips, instead of going out for that Chick-fil-a sandwich that I have been craving! Smile
For some reason, I always crave CFA on Sunday.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/29/2020, 8:09 pm

markqz wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:

Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic 931411784

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/29/2020, 9:41 pm

plantoid wrote:I think you are being extremely over optimistic on that one Scorpio . China has officially had it since late December 2019 & it's still there , now appearing to be starting  it's second wave as people come out from their great two month lock down . If it turns out to be seasonal like normal flu we will see a massive resurgence come the normal annual flu season from October through to may 2021.
I was making a hopeful statement.  We have been lucky enough to be able to be proactive, and not reactive.  

We will see if it’s a seasonal virus or not.  Coronaviruses have been around forever causing usually the common cold.  

This SARS-CoV-2 is  bit different.  

Stay home, wash your hands!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/30/2020, 2:33 am

markqz wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:
They are closed on Sunday. Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/30/2020, 3:50 am

Surprising the number of SFG gardeners who crave junk food. Shows it is addictive.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/30/2020, 4:39 am

So true!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 3/30/2020, 8:22 am

Sadly, Sundays are the only day I crave a Chick-fil-a sandwich and the funny thing is I have never had one. How addictive is that!
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/30/2020, 9:45 am

sanderson wrote:
markqz wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:
They are closed on Sunday. Razz

Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic 931411784    I got caught! I am on home quarantine anyway, since the good doctor considers me high risk. Fortunately, I almost never eat junk food. The last time I had a soft drink, I think, was back in the 1980's or maybe early 1990's.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/30/2020, 10:19 am

I am worried about my brother and his family in England as he is also in Lockdown  for 12 twelve weeks and is not allowed out even in the road outside his house.

Still eleven weeks to go.  He has always had a good stock of food but it is hard for him to get to the grocery stores now this his daughter is also in lock down. He lives in London unfortunately.

So far here in British Columbia, I am still allowed out to go for food, but like my brother I have a good store cupboard of my own canned food, thanks to taking up canning three or four years ago.  Freezer food not so much as I had a meltdown last summer and had to throw the contents away.

Today I must take an inventory of everything edible in the house and be more careful of portion sizes. The other day I found six large jars of cherries that were done about four years ago, I  opened one and there were very tasty. I must eat them before I begin eating my cherries from last fall.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 3/30/2020, 12:50 pm

SOME FOLKS UNDERESTIMATE THE SHELF LIFE OF HOME CANNED FOOD. WE JUST OPENED A JAR OF HOME CANNED APPLE BUTTER THAT WAS SIX YEARS OLD AND IT WAS STILL GOOD.

EVEN WITH STORE BOUGHT CAN GOODS, THE "SELL BY DATE" DOESN'T MEAN TO MUCH TO US. I GOOGLED IT A FEW MONTHS AGO AND THE WEBSITE SAID THE REASON THE SELL BY DATE IS THERE ONLY MEANS, THAT'S WHEN THE CONTENTS MAY START TO LOSE SOME OF ITS FLAVOR BUT THE FOOD IS STILL GOOD TO EAT.  GOOGLE IT.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 735

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next