Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 4 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 4 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals Today at 12:27 pm

» weed plant that has caused some frustration around the yard
by Dan in Ct Today at 8:09 am

» Home Made Christmas Gifts
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 3:18 pm

» A really, really Frugal Gardener
by Kelejan Yesterday at 12:51 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:53 am

» Gardening Life hack - fixing bucket handles
by Dan in Ct Yesterday at 7:33 am

» BOOKs on growing herbs.
by Dan in Ct Yesterday at 7:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 12/13/2019, 9:04 pm

» All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List!
by recoush 12/12/2019, 9:08 pm

» N&C Midwest: November/December 2019!
by Scorpio Rising 12/12/2019, 5:32 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals 12/12/2019, 11:19 am

» Tomato Tuesday - 2018 & 2019
by countrynaturals 12/11/2019, 8:24 pm

» Update on Marie's mom
by donnainzone5 12/11/2019, 11:38 am

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 12/10/2019, 9:27 pm

» What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget?
by markqz 12/10/2019, 9:20 pm

» Sanderson - On the Road
by sanderson 12/10/2019, 8:04 pm

» What I learned this year...
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2019, 6:29 pm

» Serrano Peppers
by countrynaturals 12/9/2019, 11:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing October to December 2019
by Kelejan 12/9/2019, 7:02 am

» Homemade Christmas
by countrynaturals 12/9/2019, 12:22 am

» Grapefruit
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 6:25 pm

» Container Gardening
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 10:08 am

» Potato Seeds, not Seed Potatoes
by Dan in Ct 12/8/2019, 6:20 am

» Hydrogen Peroxide
by has55 12/8/2019, 3:50 am

» New England, December, 2019
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 5:07 pm

» Steam canning?
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 4:47 pm

» De Jours 18 Radish
by markqz 12/7/2019, 4:11 pm

» Is this the right place?
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 3:30 pm

» ROOKIE TOPIC XVII Seed Starting Dates
by countrynaturals 12/7/2019, 12:15 am

» TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer
by Scorpio Rising 12/6/2019, 8:37 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 4 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  plantoid on 9/29/2019, 4:38 pm

Headed up broccoli ( calabreese?) and caterpillars .. well we don't think we ate any but might have .   When we stood the cut florets in heavily salted water for an hour several came to the surface ..this is despite me giving them a serious quick eyeballing when I cut them this afternoon .

The funny thing is Alison found one more as she  cleaned up the stalks  and then after it was lightly boiled found another three in the pan water , one being a perfect monster 2 inches long and boiled white  . 

Happily we had it with thin strips of asparagus done in a white garlic sauce with smoked salmon flakes , so if there were any left behind they were well disguised and very tasty .
 We also had 1/3 of one of our main crop monster carrots and a boiled in heavily salted water beetroot from the garden between the three of us .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 3898

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 4 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  countrynaturals on 9/29/2019, 4:57 pm

@plantoid wrote:Headed up broccoli ( calabreese?) and caterpillars .. well we don't think we ate any but might have .   When we stood the cut florets in heavily salted water for an hour several came to the surface ..this is despite me giving them a serious quick eyeballing when I cut them this afternoon .

The funny thing is Alison found one more as she  cleaned up the stalks  and then after it was lightly boiled found another three in the pan water , one being a perfect monster 2 inches long and boiled white  . 

Happily we had it with thin strips of asparagus done in a white garlic sauce with smoked salmon flakes , so if there were any left behind they were well disguised and very tasty .
 We also had 1/3 of one of our main crop monster carrots and a boiled in heavily salted water beetroot from the garden between the three of us .
affraid  (Hubby is definitely not allowed to read this post.) Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5030

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/30/2019, 6:49 pm

Hahaha!  I get it, lol

Zucchini casserole, wonderful!  My last 2 fresh zukes.  I have quite a bit frozen, thank goodness!  I will post the casserole recipe, easy and amazing; adaptable to what you have on hand!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7221

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 10/6/2019, 3:28 pm

This morning I decided to pull up that worthless volunteer cuke on the kitchen balcony, and plant radishes in the container. When I lifted the vine to cut its throat, it seemed heavy??? Here's what I found hanging from it.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 4 Volcuk10

Since it's a volunteer from the grocery store -- by way of the compost heap -- I don't know the variety, but it's nice and big, mild and crunchy. Best surprise of the day. happy turtle
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/6/2019, 5:08 pm

Nothing yet from my garden, but made 3 quarts of applesauce from gifted apples!  A nice variety, not sprayed, lots of carve outs and several worms!  But lovely end product, and my first ever!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 10/6/2019, 5:49 pm

Stuffed bell peppers
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 3820

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 10/8/2019, 10:17 am

Fresh Lima beans from the garden and ham from the store.

Made an interesting discovery -- fresh ones aren't enough better than dried to be worth the additional work. I'm going to do a little more research, but I think the result will be to let all the rest dry on the vine. They're so easy to pick and process that way. Razz
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 10/8/2019, 2:27 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:Fresh Lima beans from the garden and ham from the store.

Made an interesting discovery -- fresh ones aren't enough better than dried to be worth the additional work. I'm going to do a little more research, but I think the result will be to let all the rest dry on the vine. They're so easy to pick and process that way. Razz
That is what I also found out.  A pain to determine when to harvest the fresh ones and a pain to shell them.  We finally gave up trying for fresh and let them dry on the vine.  We did have a problem with some of them opening and spilling the dried bean on the ground.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 3820

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 10/8/2019, 2:55 pm

@yolos wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:Fresh Lima beans from the garden and ham from the store.

That is what I also found out.  A pain to determine when to harvest the fresh ones and a pain to shell them.  We finally gave up trying for fresh and let them dry on the vine.  We did have a problem with some of them opening and spilling the dried bean on the ground.
I had a few pop open and explode like little pinatas while I was picking them. Then I had to search the ground for the "spilled beans." Who says Mother Nature has no sense of humor? lol!
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz on 10/8/2019, 11:42 pm

Zucchini, yellow summer squash, arugula, kale*, radish leaves, squash blossoms, okra*, New Zealand spinach. All part of the night's stir fry.

I think the okra has been growing since April, so it's about time.

(Items marked with * were from conventional garden.)
markqz
markqz

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 10/16/2019, 3:02 pm

Asparagus beans, Mediterranean cuke, cherry toms, and still have lettuce and a big green pepper waiting their turns. (Photo-bomb by George, who loves cherry toms, too.)
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 4 George13
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/21/2019, 5:41 pm

Made a skillet out of 3 of my Yukon Gold, onion, garlic and peppers all from the SFG!  And added turkey kielbasa cut into bite sized pieces!  YUM!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy on 10/21/2019, 7:32 pm

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 4 057
Bout the only thing growing is our peppers they are in the bacon wraps filled with cheeses and sausage
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz on 10/22/2019, 11:37 am

Underneath the tempeh and mushrooms, is spiralized zucchini spaghetti. I think it may actually make a better spaghetti substitute than spaghetti squash.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 4 Rhz15qE
markqz
markqz

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy on 10/22/2019, 2:49 pm

Says a guy with way too many zucchini  Laughing What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 4 3170584802
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie on 10/22/2019, 5:07 pm

Cajun Cappy! Where in the world have y'all been??? Good to see you!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5196

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy on 10/22/2019, 5:45 pm

Thanks Sha good to see ya too.  In the horrid heat and humidity of summer not much gardening to post about.  But today was the first day of fall gardening so we are back.   Sorry about the pic ya can ahrdly tell there are indeed veggies shown course they are wrapped in Bacon What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 4 3170584802
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/22/2019, 8:30 pm

@markqz wrote:Underneath the tempeh and mushrooms, is spiralized zucchini spaghetti. I think it may actually make a better spaghetti substitute than spaghetti squash.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 4 Rhz15qE
I agree!  Spaghetti squash is falling apart, or maybe I don’t do it right?  It just is so friable.  Zuke nods seem more stable but wetter....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 10/23/2019, 2:11 pm

Probably the largest single harvest I've ever had -- and plenty more where that came from. happy turtle 

Asparagus beans, lemon cuke, cherry toms, regular toms, kale, dried Limas, onion tops.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 4 Harves12
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy on 10/23/2019, 3:54 pm

Ahhhh here is a post about the long beans from a couple years ago that includes me in a goofy video we really love them and often grow them.
https://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2015/07/our-yard-long-beansseriously.html
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 10/23/2019, 4:30 pm

@Cajun Cappy wrote:Ahhhh here is a post about the long beans from a couple years ago that includes me in a goofy video we really love them and often grow them.
https://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2015/07/our-yard-long-beansseriously.html
They're so prolific, and take up so little actual garden space, I don't see any reason to grow any other variety. alrighta
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy on 10/23/2019, 5:02 pm

Very true  we grow ours on the 4 ft end of our garden box they grow up and make lots of beans as you can see and they take up no room we often plant stuff in the same squares with them
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 10/23/2019, 6:01 pm

I may try these...the problem with what I have grown is that they get these giant bulges where the “seed” bean is and they get tough.  These look bulge-free.  Are they tender?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 10/23/2019, 6:08 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:I may try these...the problem with what I have grown is that they get these giant bulges where the “seed” bean is and they get tough.  These look bulge-free.  Are they tender?
We try to pick them before they start to bulge, but if we miss a few, we just shell them and add the shelled beans to whatever dish we're making or keep them for seeds for next season. There's a canned veggie called "field peas & snaps" that gave us the idea.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy on 10/23/2019, 7:21 pm

All summer long we pick them every 2 or 3 days Peggy snaps them and we freeze them in gallon zip loc bags the lumpy ones gets shelled and put in a bag the ones that get old we use for next years crop.
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum